Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
This will serve dutifully as the super official discussion thread for the 2019 RinCon Math Trade.

The Math Trade Geeklist is available here: Tucson RinCon 2019 No-Ship Math Trade

You have until Sept 26th to add items to the Geeklist, then from Sep 26 - Sep 30th to submit your Want list.

Go forth and discuss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and throw a link in here to Rhado's video series on how a math trade works, since there's always a few new folks with lots of questions.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/32552/outside-scope-bgg/...

Overall, the process looks like this:
1. You have about two weeks to add items you want to trade away to the linked BGG Geeklist. Each "item" can be a single game (most common) or even a bundle of multiple games (more common with smaller, cheaper games which are less likely to trade on their own). You are not yet committing to any trades, so feel free to add stuff, knowing you can decide later to keep all your items because none of our junk is good enough.

2. On Sept 26th at about 10pm, I'll lock down the Geeklist (items can no longer be added or updated). You will then have about four days to submit your "Want" list. This is basically just going through and deciding for each of your offered items, what other items from the list you'd be willing to trade it for. To do this, you'll be using the Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) tool at https://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/. It's a bit confusing, but check the videos above or ask questions here if you get lost. Note that you can start adding items to your Want list before Sep 26th, but won't be able to submit it yet.

3. After the Sep 30th Want List deadline. I'll take the submitted lists, run them through the TradeMaximizer app, and spit out the results which will get posted here (and in the OLWLG tool). Keep in mind that this often finds circular trades, so the person you give your game to will likely not be the same person you're getting a game from. This allows way more trades to happen overall.

4. Bring your traded items to RinCon and give them to their wonderful new owner, and collect your shiny new goodies! This is most easily done at the Sat 1PM meetup, but you can make other arrangements with your trade partners if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add two more quick tips. Within the OLWLG tool there are various settings and options you can use to save you lots of time. For either of these tips to work, you need to first resync your BGG collection with the OLWLG tool. From the main OLWLG page, expand the section that says "Your collection last resynced X days ago" and click the link there to start a resync (should take about 30 seconds).

Quickly adding items to the Math Trade: Once you select the RinCon math trade, there are a bunch of little ugly icons across the top. Click the one that looks like a brown box with a little green "+" in the bottom corner. This will pull up your BGG "For Trade" items and give you a convenient way to add them to the MT geeklist. If you have version and trade comments, it will pre-populate those as well. You'll have a chance to edit items in the standard form before actually submitting. It also shows which items you've already added to the list, so if you've posted several items over a few days, it's easier to keep track of your stuff.

Quickly finding Wanted items: Similarly, you can click the little magnifying glass icon, which will narrow the list down to any items you have listed in BGG as "Want in Trade" or "Wishlist". This is more useful for huge MT's with thousands of items, but can also be nice for smaller ones as a quick final check to make sure you don't miss anything.

Be sure to check out some of the other OLWLG icons, but those are two of my favorites. Also take a look at the user settings in there. JeffyJeff has done a great job of adding some cool little enhancements over the past few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy oh boy, there's some nice stuff showing up in that geeklist. Keep it comin' - you have three more days to offer more jazz.

While we wait, just though it'd be fun to take a little walk down RinCon Math Trade memory lane:

2013: 184 items, 19 users, 36 trades. Fun exciting new thing, lots of local folks jumped in with some great items, a satisfying amount of good trades.

2014: 151 items, 16 users, 2 trades. Oh no! I think at this point we had fired up the local trade geeklist and the participants here had already fairly well picked over everyone's stuff. This was a bummer year.

2015: 128 items, 14 users, 2 trades. I guess statistically speaking this was an improvement, but man, two lousy years in a row. I just about called it quits after this one, but got a few requests to run it again the next year. Sigh, I guess we'll take another stab.

2016: 143 items, 13 users, 8 trades. A slight up-tick, but at this point, I kind of just feel bad for wasting people's time. No way we're doing this again next year. Next year: "Hey Mike, you're doing the MT again, right?!"

2017: 418 items, 35 users, 119 trades. WHAT THE WHAT!?!? Where the heck did this come from? Holy smokes, this year blew up. A ton of Phoenix folks jumped in, and I'm not really sure what changed, but we finally got some traction and pumped out a pretty thrilling pile of trades. Now we're cookin'!

2018: 403 items, 33 users, 95 trades. A bit down, but still on par with last year. I was super worried 2017 would just be weird fluke, so this solidified our success and encouraged me to keep the momentum rolling.

2019: So far, 297 items, 22 users. Lots of great stuff and a decent number of participants, so I anticipate many trades as usual. I also expect more folks to jump in before we lock down the list in a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PPG RinCon Library
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got some library stuff posted. I posted almost exclusively only things we have sealed because with all the RinCon prep no way I have time to inventory any "for trade" games.

I think I've added 25-30 items and hope to put some more in tonight.

Just putting it out there - the Library is very open to trades from anything I listed in the Math Trade (that doesn't math trade) and/or anything in our for sale stock. We are always looking for good additions to the Library. If it is in the top 200 overall/strategy or in the top 30ish of any of the subcategories (children's, family, etc) - if we don't have it, we will be happy to discuss a trade! Of course we will consider other games to, but that's a rough guideline for games we don't already know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Wulf
United States
Nogales
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow Mike! This year's trade is crazy! over 550 items! Exciting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, yeah. You all are remembering to actually keep some of your games, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Wulf
United States
Nogales
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
MikeTuna wrote:
Um, yeah. You all are remembering to actually keep some of your games, right?
It's a trade, not a sell. We are getting games back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PPG RinCon Library
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm done! 72 items from the library (well 68, plus 4 Cash/Venmo).

Hoping to add some new stuff to the Library!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get in your hole Scoots!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Wil will single handedly get us to the 700 mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
cowchip7 wrote:
It looks like Wil will single handedly get us to the 700 mark!

Ha. Not quite there, but 629's not too shabby!

I'm glad I was able to get a few things listed. Next year, I won't wait until literally the last minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm re-posting this from a previous year, but these are lots of tips which are helpful during the "Submit Want Lists" phase. Hopefully this will help answer some questions:

A few additional notes if you're new to this process:

1. After submitting your Wants, which is a two-step process, you will receive an email confirming they have been submitted. If you don't receive a confirmation geekmail from JeffyJeff, your list has NOT been submitted.

2. You are welcome to resubmit your list as many times as desired. I usually submit a preliminary list, then continue to tweak it and resubmit as desired until the deadline.

3. When it doubt, leave the boxes blank! Any box you check and submit is a commitment to follow through with the trade, even if you mess up and accidentally trade Yokohama for Yahtzee. If you're not sure about something, or decide you don't want to trade an item, leaving the associated boxes blank is the safest route. It's usually better to hold on to your item than be required to follow through on an undesirable trade.

4. The "Step 4" wall-of-check-boxes screen is intimidating, especially if you offered several items. The logic is fairly simple and it looks more complex than it really is, so just take your time and be careful. It's also a good idea to scroll to the bottom and save your updates regularly.

5. You may be able to find browser plug-ins which help with the check-box screen by allowing you to drag over several at a time. I used to use CheckBoxMate for Firefox, but it's no longer supported in the current versions. I now use "Multicheck Checkbox Checker" in Chrome, which I don't like quite as much, but it's better than nothing.

6. If you are offering cash equivalents (cash, paypal, gift certs, etc.), remember that you are NOT allowed to trade up in value. If you try to trade your $20 for someone's $30, you will go to the top of the naughty list. Right next to Gerry.

7. The "looser" you are with your wants, the more likely you are to get a trade, but keep in mind that the nature of math trades is such that you will often get the least-desired item in your list of wants (since the other more desirable items can likely help more trades happen overall). This being the case, make sure you would be happy with any trade you select - don't check a box unless you really want to trade for that item.

8. If you cannot fulfill a trade for any reason (for example, you can't make it to RinCon, you just sold the item on ebay, your cat pooped all over Finca again, etc.), simply submit a blank list for that item to ensure it will not trade. This also applies if you realize the condition of your item is notably different from what you originally described. Better to not trade than hand someone a crushed copy of Munchkin that you described as "Like New".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another repost regarding Duplicate Protection:

The most confusing piece of the OLWLG tool is Duplicate Protection. Duplicate Protection is super useful, but it does make the final "step 4" screen far more complicated to navigate. Fortunately, it's also completely optional. The idea behind it is this: I'm offering Connect Four and Rummikub and I REALLY want to trade for Checkers. Seventeen people are offering Checkers and I'd be happy with any of them, but if I offer each of my items against all the copies of Checkers, I could end up getting TWO copies of Checkers, and that's just too many Checkers! Duplicate Protection allows me to create a fake item named "Checkers" which singularly represents all 17 copies of real Checkers. I select Fake Checkers as my wanted trade for each of my items, and it will try to trade either of them for any of the real Checkers, but ensures I won't end up with two copies -- as soon as any trade is found in that group, it stops trying to find another one. If you only have 1 item you're offering, ignore all of this - you're fine. If you're offering multiple items and trying to trade them for multiple copies of the same game (but only really want one of them), this can help you out but it does turn your checkbox screen into a mess so spend some time getting familiar with it first. Or just ignore it and risk ending up with duplicate items which you'll trade/sell away later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Final 3 hours and we are at 94% of everyone's wants being posted.

I love this anticipation part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get in your hole Scoots!
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Woohoo! Final 3 hours and we are at 94% of everyone's wants being posted.

I love this anticipation part.

I’ve been anticipating the next NIS game that you listed as Like New!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will wrap it up in a minute. I was reaching out to the last person who hasn't submitted to make sure they weren't in the middle of getting it ready. Sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there we have it. Another smash hit. Y'all have outdone yourselves. Let's do it again next year.

https://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeTuna wrote:
And there we have it. Another smash hit. Y'all have outdone yourselves. Let's do it again next year.

Thank you again for running this Mike!! Always a fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PPG RinCon Library
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. Mike & Will

I don't understand why more people wanted my $20 more than yours... maybe it was the Venmo

17/165/19 - Alt Name: $20 Cash or Venmo (7207793) [Planet Pusch Games]
14/142/18 - Alt Name: $20 Cash or Paypal (7206400) [MikeTuna]
14/173/1 - Alt Name: $20 cash (PayPal or the real stuff) (7207852) [wgerken]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, yeah I saw that. They wanted your $20 more than my $25! Shoot for the stars, kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PPG RinCon Library
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeTuna wrote:

I think it is pretty awesome how it all works. There were 33 items that traded that only one person wanted - now there were a lot more that only one person wanted that didn't trade, but it's still pretty cool that these trades happened, because in a swap-meet style trade area, where everyone has to negotiate individually, chances are almost none of those trades would have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls