Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through The Ages and Food Chain Magnate. If they survive that I've got them for life.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Actual answer is Century Spice Road, Gizmos and Majesty for the realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried numerous games but the two that seem the most successful with non-gamers are Pandemic and Codenames.

I mostly try NOT to be involved with introducing new people to boardgames any more though because it usually involves people coming over for a "game night" that really just want a social gathering and I'd rather just have the social gathering without the frustration of teaching boardgames to people that aren't that interested.

I did recently pick up Paku Paku which, along with codenames, I think will be my go to party/social games when the need does arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay King
United States
South St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a...

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!!!

What games do you use to lure newbies into your panel van the hobby?

We have used a number of games for this in the past. Lots of Ticket to Ride and Betrayal at House on the Hill and Dominion. Recent favorites for this have also been Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and of course, my wife's favorite, Time's Up!.

Lately its been Point Salad, Encore and Quacks... Although Ive been having a great time this month teaching Fantastic Factories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nfirehazzard wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a...

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!!!

What games do you use to lure newbies into your panel van the hobby?

We have used a number of games for this in the past. Lots of Ticket to Ride and Betrayal at House on the Hill and Dominion. Recent favorites for this have also been Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and of course, my wife's favorite, Time's Up!.

Lately its been Point Salad, Encore and Quacks... Although Ive been having a great time this month teaching Fantastic Factories!
I find it hard to believe there is only one roll and write in that list. But fantastic factories was good. Need to try it again when I am conscious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point Salad right now. It's incredibly easy, great simple but effective graphics and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a whole subreddit for mocking r/boardgames, whose obsessive members foist THE HOBBY upon unsuspecting normies and shoehorn board games into weddings, funerals, etc. I consciously avoid being that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
There's a whole subreddit for mocking r/boardgames, whose obsessive members foist THE HOBBY upon unsuspecting normies and shoehorn board games into weddings, funerals, etc. I consciously avoid being that guy.
That sounds AWESOME! How do I find that? (I know very little about Reddit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heads up, entries are open for the 9th annual Beard Game Geek competition!

Register here: Ninth Annual BeardGameGeek Show Us Your Beard Competition!

Fellow Mpls resident frumpish
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
said he was no longer going to run them, so I took up the mantle and am heading it up this year.

There are still roughly two weeks left to post an image of yourself in your beard or beard-like device (if you cannot grow one). My entry isn't up yet, but will hopefully be up tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good to hear positivity around gallerist. Glad I bought it!

I'm really amazed how thematic Lisboa is. Really feels like you're rebuilding the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every day I get home is a disappointment that Football Highlights and Alhambra Designer’s Edition haven’t shown up yet.

Edit: Oh, just got tracking info for Football Hightlights 2052, should arrive Monday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Goldbräu fanMicrobadge: Meeplien-"I Believe"Microbadge: Raiders of the North Sea fanMicrobadge: Three Investigators fan
Matt Boehland wrote:
Every day I get home is a disappointment that Football Highlights and Alhambra Designer’s Edition haven’t shown up yet.
Stop going home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re Friday question...

I do a lot of light gaming at work. The best hits have been northern Pacific and the estates. Modern art is a big winner too.

We've also done mint works, queen Domino, and the mind with gamers from no experience to middle of the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
Weddings I can see especially if the people getting married are gamers and maybe even encourage that sort of thing.

Funerals feels a bit steep no matter what. “Sorry about your uncle. Wanna play Concordia?” Inappropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingVitaman wrote:
NoSoup4you wrote:
Weddings I can see especially if the people getting married are gamers and maybe even encourage that sort of thing.

Funerals feels a bit steep no matter what. “Sorry about your uncle. Wanna play Concordia?” Inappropriate.
Seriously inappropriate, and tasteless to boot.

They need to play Gloom, or The Bloody Inn, or Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
KingVitaman wrote:
NoSoup4you wrote:

Seriously inappropriate, and tasteless to boot.

They need to play Gloom, or The Bloody Inn, or Zombicide.
Off topic, but reminds me of an anecdote I heard (on a Japanese videogame-related show called Game Center CX). The host mentioned that when he was younger, he was upstairs at home during a gathering after a funeral.

He was in a room playing ‘Bomberman’ with a friend, and they were shouting ‘Die! die!’ at each other. His mom called to them saying ‘come down here for a moment’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Goldbräu fanMicrobadge: Meeplien-"I Believe"Microbadge: Raiders of the North Sea fanMicrobadge: Three Investigators fan
One of my Clank boards is warped. Other then just putting something heavy on it to flatten it out is there anything else I could do in addition? Would steaming the board be helpful with out loosening the glue? Would putting a towel over it and ironing it help without melting the glue then bend it the other way before putting something heavy on it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a bunch of newer local games tonight:

Bosk
Godsforge
Vast: The Mysterious Manor
Never Bring a Knife

And got this game!:

Should I bring it to the next TCAT night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
LINO LAKES
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:

Bosk
Godsforge
Never Bring a Knife

And got this game!:

I'm seconding a TCAT Kids Day! Let's make this happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:

Bosk
Godsforge
Never Bring a Knife

And got this game!:

Oooh. Now I know one thing that will be under the Christmas tree this year. Definitely getting that for my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is last minute, but, is anyone interested in:

Up front
Combat commander:Europe
Commands&Colors: ancients or Napoleonics
Sekigahara
(I can teach any of these games)
Any 2 player game you might be interested in

Only catch: I live in Woodbury and can’t head out anywhere tonight. We can play at my place. I have a table set up, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/264522/6th-annual-boa...

If anyone cares, our group did an other gaming cabin weekend in the middle of nowhere. These are the games we played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

If anyone cares, our group did an other gaming cabin weekend in the middle of nowhere. These are the games we played!
Is it a cabin someone in your group owns, or do you all rent a place? My group is potentially looking for a place to do a game retreat at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Secret Santa targets have been announced! I was open to worldwide participants but received a target in Ohio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aethubryn wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

Is it a cabin someone in your group owns, or do you all rent a place? My group is potentially looking for a place to do a game retreat at some point.
We rent a space. We've done a few cool spots through the years but eventually outgrew most. But we've tried Grand Marais, St Cloud area, Madeline Island, and the one we've fallen in love with and will likely be our regular spot is about an hour south of Rochester. We do these about once a year providing that we have the availability and people can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Frome
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

We rent a space. We've done a few cool spots through the years but eventually outgrew most. But we've tried Grand Marais, St Cloud area, Madeline Island, and the one we've fallen in love with and will likely be our regular spot is about an hour south of Rochester. We do these about once a year providing that we have the availability and people can make it work.
How many people go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 29  Next »  [51] |