Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
stagger lee wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/264522/6th-annual-boa...

If anyone cares, our group did an other gaming cabin weekend in the middle of nowhere. These are the games we played!
Is it a cabin someone in your group owns, or do you all rent a place? My group is potentially looking for a place to do a game retreat at some point.
We rent a space. We've done a few cool spots through the years but eventually outgrew most. But we've tried Grand Marais, St Cloud area, Madeline Island, and the one we've fallen in love with and will likely be our regular spot is about an hour south of Rochester. We do these about once a year providing that we have the availability and people can make it work.
That's awesome, but there's not nearly enough Ameritrash in that weekend (or any Ameritrash, really...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
fromeea wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

If anyone cares, our group did an other gaming cabin weekend in the middle of nowhere. These are the games we played!
Is it a cabin someone in your group owns, or do you all rent a place? My group is potentially looking for a place to do a game retreat at some point.
We rent a space. We've done a few cool spots through the years but eventually outgrew most. But we've tried Grand Marais, St Cloud area, Madeline Island, and the one we've fallen in love with and will likely be our regular spot is about an hour south of Rochester. We do these about once a year providing that we have the availability and people can make it work.
How many people go?
The GeekList said this year they had 16 people. So looks to be a pretty big group overall.

EDIT: and with that many people, you could viably go to the cabin I've been wanting to go to for a few years (ever since I heard it existed): the Lake Superior barn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hajny
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
--- Light Grey Art Lab --- Gallery - Minneapolis, MN http://lightgreyartlab.com
badge
Skulls 'N' Slime
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Photoshop CC userMicrobadge: Illustrator CC userMicrobadge: InDesign CC userMicrobadge: End the run.
Matt Boehland wrote:

And got this game!:

Board Game: Unicorn Glitterluck: Cloud Stacking

Should I bring it to the next TCAT night?
It's a good game for kids! I buy boardgames for each of my six nibblings (currently aged between 3-10) every time we do a getaway with my siblings (once in the summer, once in the winter). This is one of the biggest hits for the youngest set.

I've also given things like My Little Scythe, Azul, Dancing Eggs, Ticket to Ride, Dixit, Mysterium, Horrified, Incan Gold... their parents are thankful for a constant influx of new and not insufferable games, and have become the go-to boardgame influencers in their own circles.

EDIT: I just realized I got them a different Glitterluck game (the co-op one)... but I'm sure they're all high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Anime fanMicrobadge: Devo fan - We are DEVO!
This one is co-op too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Smith
msg tools
Microbadge: Purdue UniversityMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Acquire fanMicrobadge: University of Minnesota
33cb wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:
Played a bunch of newer local games tonight:

Bosk
Godsforge
Vast: The Mysterious Manor
Never Bring a Knife

And got this game!:

Board Game: Unicorn Glitterluck: Cloud Stacking

Should I bring it to the next TCAT night?
Oooh. Now I know one thing that will be under the Christmas tree this year. Definitely getting that for my kids.
It says ages 4-99.

I need a YouTube video of a 4 year old playing a 99 year old at this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Anime fanMicrobadge: Devo fan - We are DEVO!
And a 100 year old sitting off to the side depressed because he can’t join them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love the UK!Microbadge: World TravellerMicrobadge: X-Men fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: I love Switzerland!
swirlsaepi wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

That's awesome, but there's not nearly enough Ameritrash in that weekend (or any Ameritrash, really...)
Haha! Yeah we're more of a euro group. Usually SOMETHING big and sprawl hits the table at some point, like Rising Sun or Chaos in the Old World... but this year people were just more in the mood for smaller games.

And yes, it was 15 people (7 couples and one single). We've had as small as 8 (four couples) and I think 18 in our biggest year, which honestly was a bit too much for logistics.

It's fun though and nice to go somewhere where the cell service doesn't exist and the wifi is questionable. Forces you to enjoy your surroundings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: Cerebria: The Inside World fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Trickerion: Legends of Illusion fan
swirlsaepi wrote:
EDIT: and with that many people, you could viably go to the cabin I've been wanting to go to for a few years (ever since I heard it existed): the Lake Superior barn.
Dear God. That place looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love the UK!Microbadge: World TravellerMicrobadge: X-Men fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: I love Switzerland!
That does look great!

When we were smaller we went here:
Cascade Lodge: https://cascadelodgemn.com/lodging/cabins

We would have people rent their own smaller cabins and use one of the larger cabins (Fireweed Cabin 14) as the meeting space.

However once we got too big for our britches (15+ people) we tried a bunch of other locations and eventually settled on this one:
CEDAR VALLEY RESORT: https://cedarvalleyresort.com/

We have used the Northwoods Cabins (both sides) twice and love it. Also tried the Big Timber but it was a little too big in our opinions and had a much less cozy feel.

We've also tried other options up near Duluth and near Fargo but nothing that matched the quality of these two places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
DMountford wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Oh I know. 800 acres of privacy and Lake Superior shorefront. It's obviously not viable with just a few people even in the offseason, but with 10+ it gets pretty cheap (~$125 per couple per night).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
swirlsaepi wrote:
DMountford wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Oh I know. 800 acres of privacy and Lake Superior shorefront. It's obviously not viable with just a few people even in the offseason, but with 10+ it gets pretty cheap (~$125 per couple per night).
I'll have to add that one to the list of potential places to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Anyone want to meet this Wednesday or Thursday anytime in Eagan to play Football Highlights 2052?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Price
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mystic Vale fanMicrobadge: Legendary fan
Kind of a short list of games @ The Gaming Goat Meetup up Night, but we had another week of heavy hitters

-Tyrants of the Underdark
-Marvel Legendary
-Kingsburg
-Noir Automata
-Paladins of the West Kingdom
-Space Base
-Run, Fight, Or Die
-Kemet
-Lords of Vegas
-7th Continent

I got to play Paladins of the West Kingdom! Super fun time!

Next week, same time (4PM) same place (Gaming Goat - Eagan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We’re over a dozen hours into our play of 7th Continent. While we’ve yet to succeed or perish, my character has seen better days:

From gallery of Matt Boehland

Yep. Bloody, tired, frightened, poisoned, and injured...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Hanamikoji fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Matt Boehland wrote:
We’re over a dozen hours into our play of 7th Continent. While we’ve yet to succeed or perish, my character has seen better days:

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Dice fanMicrobadge: First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society member
Matt Boehland wrote:

Technically we DID die once fairly early on and had to restart.... modestgulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm a maker!Microbadge: I love 3D printing!Microbadge: food can never be too spicyMicrobadge: Rock Climbing fanMicrobadge: Mindfulness practitioner
Matt Boehland wrote:

In some of the scenarios, you're practically the pinnacle of health right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Piet Mondriaan fanMicrobadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Life is short - be silly!Microbadge: I'm a fan of stuffMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-box
I really like how this came out... it’s art for my Thrifty Secret Santa target :]

From gallery of Aethubryn

Out of curiosity - is this type of art something anyone here might want, customized to their preferences? It was pretty fun to make. I wouldn’t mind a side-gig making paintings like this. Or Shrinky Dinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Congratulations, you mentioning Shrinky Dinks reminded me that Dungeons and Dragons Shrinky Dinks were a thing! Forgot about those for almost 40 years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: Cerebria: The Inside World fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Trickerion: Legends of Illusion fan
Ah, Shrinky Dinks ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
Microbadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: Let the Wookiee win.Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Minnesota
Matt Boehland wrote:
Congratulations, you mentioning Shrinky Dinks reminded me that Dungeons and Dragons Shrinky Dinks were a thing! Forgot about those for almost 40 years!

Just one more piece of useful data and it may have fallen out the back forever. Now it’s back at the top of the list. Could have made room for something so much better.

...or that’s how it works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PopeBrain wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:
Just one more piece of useful data and it may have fallen out the back forever. Now it’s back at the top of the list. Could have made room for something so much better
Better than D&D Shrinky Dinks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Anderson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Deadpool, the Merc with a Mouth fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
Worst joke ever!

Akado wrote:
Matt Boehland wrote:

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geegs
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Beware the Phog
badge
Why do we fall sir?
Microbadge: University of KansasMicrobadge: Denver Broncos fanMicrobadge: Our Hero; The Valiant Spaceman SpiffMicrobadge: Through the Ages - Albert EinsteinMicrobadge: I speak Minnesota
Hey Twin Cities fam. Does anyone have suggestions of where I should look to buy board game posters? I am looking to grab some for myself and family/friends for the holidays.

I have found a few vendors on Etsy and Amazon but was curious if there were any shops out there I should know about that specialize in this kind of thing. I know also that the BGG store has some prints but they are currently out of stock.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Motorcycle enthusiastMicrobadge: Wings of Glory fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I own the Green Bay PackersMicrobadge: Minnesota Wild fan
Geegs wrote:
Hey Twin Cities fam. Does anyone have suggestions of where I should look to buy board game posters? I am looking to grab some for myself and family/friends for the holidays.

I have found a few vendors on Etsy and Amazon but was curious if there were any shops out there I should know about that specialize in this kind of thing.

Thanks!
I believe boardgamegeekstore.com has some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  26 , 27 , 28 , 29 , 30  Next »  [64] |