Subject: Minneapolis/Saint Paul Gamers? Encore! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Anime fanMicrobadge: Devo fan - We are DEVO!
Games played today:

Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Wingspan (and before anyone complains, to quote someone’s comment for the game “ After 5 plays I have the feeling that this is more Ameritrash than it looks at first glance. ”). I actually kinda like it.

Both were someone else’s game, I don’t own either. I’ve always liked Xia, only sold it before because my copy wasn’t getting played.

Oh, and I played Football Highlights 2052 solo to get the hang of the rules. Works decent enough solo (the AI uses a deck of better/stronger cards to make up for its lack of intelligence choosing plays). I’ll probably keep it, though not sure how often it’ll get to the table for two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade ModeratorMicrobadge: Pay it ForwardMicrobadge: The PIFF Train must keep rolling!Microbadge: I play at the Waconia Brewing CompanyMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
Matt Boehland wrote:
Games played today:

Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Wingspan (and before anyone complains, to quote someone’s comment for the game “ After 5 plays I have the feeling that this is more Ameritrash than it looks at first glance. ”). I actually kinda like it.

Both were someone else’s game, I don’t own either. I’ve always liked Xia, only sold it before because my copy wasn’t getting played.

Oh, and I played Football Highlights 2052 solo to get the hang of the rules. Works decent enough solo (the AI uses a deck of better/stronger cards to make up for its lack of intelligence choosing plays). I’ll probably keep it, though not sure how often it’ll get to the table for two player.
I've got your back on Wingspan. Did not expect or want to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hajny
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
--- Light Grey Art Lab --- Gallery - Minneapolis, MN http://lightgreyartlab.com
badge
Skulls 'N' Slime
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Photoshop CC userMicrobadge: Illustrator CC userMicrobadge: InDesign CC userMicrobadge: End the run.
Matt Boehland wrote:
Games played today:
Baseball Highlights 2045 was really good solo and great at two player, enough so that I backed Football Highlights 2052 basically sight unseen.

Got my copy but... many of my Kickstarters have been fulfilling fast and furious lately, my BGG Secret Santa already delivered my gifts, and I picked up about 10 games overseas... I've got some "work" to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: MinnesotaMicrobadge: I speak Canadian, eh...Microbadge: ScooteristMicrobadge: Fortress Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Tintin fan
Love Wingspan. It's fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: I Have Unlocked The Nautilus' Trap!Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: EXIT fan
Wingspan has never really appealed to me either, but many seem to like it. I'm sure I'll eventually try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Council of Blackthorn fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - Peter Davison, 5th DoctorMicrobadge: Allegiance: A Realm Divided fanMicrobadge: "We must be as stealthy as rats in the wainscoting of their society."
Wingspan, like every game from Stonemaier, is a solid 6. Good but not great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade ModeratorMicrobadge: Pay it ForwardMicrobadge: The PIFF Train must keep rolling!Microbadge: I play at the Waconia Brewing CompanyMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
ampoliros wrote:
Wingspan, like every game from Stonemaier, is a solid 6. Good but not great.
I'm 80% there with you. I think I have it at a 7 and between two xxxx are great (IMO). the rest of them a solid 6 (I'm being nice to euphoria right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm a maker!Microbadge: I love 3D printing!Microbadge: food can never be too spicyMicrobadge: Rock Climbing fanMicrobadge: Mindfulness practitioner
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Who do you game with? Strangers, friends, family? What does your typical game group look like and how did it form?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellow Shoes
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: StoicismMicrobadge: I play from my gut!Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!Microbadge: Graphic Artist
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Who do you game with? Strangers, friends, family? What does your typical game group look like and how did it form?
Unsuspecting prey, and predators that deserve revenge.

Organically through spite, malice, and loneliness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Brown
msg tools
I think Wingspan is a lot of fun. Not my normal style of game, but I do enjoy it. I also have taught it to multiple "non-gamers" who thought boardgames meant parchesi or Monopoly who loved it and want to keep playing. So yes, I see it as a fun and a gateway drug type game that can get more people interested in our hobby. And yes, I like birds. I tell all new players it is a requirement to read the description at the bottom of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Yes.

So how do I classify strangers who became friends because of games?

Which gaming group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Piet Mondriaan fanMicrobadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Life is short - be silly!Microbadge: I'm a fan of stuffMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-box
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

As I like to put it...

I went on the internet and a strange man invited me over to his house to "play games".

Had a great time at Frank and Alicia's, met some other cool people like Sanchez, and was advised to try out Level Up SSP because they had "Level Up Ladies", hosted by this super friendly and inviting woman named Kay. And through Kay/LU game days, I met basically everyone else I've regularly gamed with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: I Have Unlocked The Nautilus' Trap!Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: EXIT fan
Aethubryn wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

As I like to put it...

I went on the internet and a strange man invited me over to his house to "play games".

Had a great time at Frank and Alicia's, met some other cool people like Sanchez, and was advised to try out Level Up SSP because they had "Level Up Ladies", hosted by this super friendly and inviting woman named Kay. And through Kay/LU game days, I met basically everyone else I've regularly gamed with!
Frank is the kind of guy you only meet via the internet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm a maker!Microbadge: I love 3D printing!Microbadge: food can never be too spicyMicrobadge: Rock Climbing fanMicrobadge: Mindfulness practitioner
Has anyone here actually seen/played 7th Guest: The Board Game in real life? I'm curious if it is as terrible as it looks.

I'm still astounded anyone put their money into that Kickstarter... and I say that as a HUGE T7G fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Swendsrud
msg tools
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Awaken Realms "Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon" Contest ParticipantMicrobadge: Shadowborne Games "Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood" Contest ParticipantMicrobadge: Minnesota Twins fan
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Normally it's with friends, but we have a very open game night so new people come in fairly often. And we put it together.

I actually did play recently with a stranger at All Systems Go, which was fun to meet more of the MSP's Gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Motorcycle enthusiastMicrobadge: Wings of Glory fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I own the Green Bay PackersMicrobadge: Minnesota Wild fan
I think Wingspan is one of the better engine builders. It has more interaction between players than any of my other engine builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Dice fanMicrobadge: First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society member
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Yes.

I don't really have a typical game group, it's more 'whatever can be organized via BBG or whatever happens where I show up'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: Cerebria: The Inside World fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Trickerion: Legends of Illusion fan
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

Pretty much anyone who will agree to game with me: solo (currently, Tainted Grail), with a friend (Gloomhaven), with a group at work (just wrapped a session of The Menace Among Us), with my friend's kids (Magic, Keyforge, Bargain Quest), regularly at the United Geeks of Gaming meet-up (all the new hotness in medium-heavy Euro gaminess).

And then sometimes side sessions with gamer people I met through UGG and the internet.

It keeps me busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles fanMicrobadge: Cerebria: The Inside World fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Trickerion: Legends of Illusion fan
Also, family at the holidays ... and with my brother and his high school friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Steam userMicrobadge: I play with whatever color is still availableMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Bonsai enthusiastMicrobadge: Reddit fan
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

I play with a couple of old RL friends from back when I lived in Virginia, one of which is still out there and one of whom has moved to Ohio plus another guy out in CA that I only know through the internet. We all play together on Tabletop Simulator pretty frequently or will collectively play other PC games together.

Locally I mostly play with people I met via a very shortlived Shakopee game night that I initially found via the Nextdoor app of all places. Just clicked with a couple guys and when that game night died we just kept looking for places to play and now meet up in Burnsville as regularly as our collectively busy lives allow. I try to throw out invites to folks on here sometimes to join us but it's a headache to deal with people last minute cancelling or just no showing and everyone communicating via different platforms, so I extend the invites less and less frequently simply to avoid the burden (but we're happy to have folks in the area join us!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
Microbadge: "Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice." —Mohandas K. GandhiMicrobadge: The revolution will not be televisedMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: Public Enemy fanMicrobadge: Banksy fan
sancmat wrote:
I've got your back on Wingspan. Did not expect or want to like it.
Me either. The more I play, the more I appreciate how well thought out it is. Well balanced which is no simple feat with a 150+ individual cards. Not very interactive for a card game, but the theme and game play is very low stress. Great art too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Hanamikoji fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

I game with pretty much anyone who will play train games! And pretty much anyone else who will play fun games with me in the limited free time I have. Family, kids, buddies, friends, Matts, acquaintences, etc. I'll even play with people who refuse to eat horses during a zombie apocalypse. And people who vote my pilot off the island and send my janitor into a murderous rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Akado wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

I game with pretty much anyone who will play train games! And pretty much anyone else who will play fun games with me in the limited free time I have. Family, kids, buddies, friends, Matts, acquaintences, etc. I'll even play with people who refuse to eat horses during a zombie apocalypse. And people who vote my pilot off the island and send my janitor into a murderous rage.
I'd question the non horse-eater, but agree on Matts - they're like half the TC gaming population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akado wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

I game with Matts,
Except Matt S. in Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Piet Mondriaan fanMicrobadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Life is short - be silly!Microbadge: I'm a fan of stuffMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-box
Akado wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:
It's time for a:

FRIDAY FUNDAY QUESTION!

I hear my character still has their pet horse to this day and is very happy to have a companion in the lonely post-apocolyptic world that survived after the zombies all got killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  27 , 28 , 29 , 30 , 31  Next »  [64] |