Subject: Minneapolis/Saint Paul Gamers? Encore! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LegioXIX wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:
Last night I tuned into an episode of South Park (rerun I don't know). The school's girl's gaming club was playing Twilight Struggle! They also were playing a grand strategy type game with the European map. Multiple cards were around the table. Maybe Hitler's Reich? I wonder who on the show is a wargamer.
It was a rerun, but first aired about a month ago. Trey Parker is a big board game fan. Not so much a wargame fan. Besides, Twilight Struggle is not a wargame...
Aside for when I am losing and think "to hell with this", let that DefCon drop to the bottom of the scale and let the nuclear apocalypse begin. That feels a little like a war, but by some definitions, probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious - what’s bad about the CotN hotel? Is it just that it’s overgrown the space, or are there other reasons? I had a good experience last year, but then I was helping out Kay/LU a fair amount of the time I spent there so I didn’t experience the con in general as much as most people.

I kinda just hate that all cons seem to be moving downtown, where I now have to pay for parking and walk a bit to get there and back to my car each day. Normally I don’t mind walking but I don’t feel the safest doing so downtown at night by myself. The skyway doesn’t go all the way to the cheap parking lots and even when it gets most of the way there, it can close earlier than one might leave the con... or just have parts of it closed for no reason anyway.

Same safety problem with using public transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the hotel, specifically because it was surprisingly small and navigable. I also am likely to skip something if it's downtown. Parking scarcity is so... feudal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
There are more thrifts in Goodwill and Value Village than are dreamt of in your philosophies, Horatio.
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
I liked the hotel, specifically because it was surprisingly small and navigable. I also am likely to skip something if it's downtown. Parking scarcity is so... feudal.
Thumbed for bringing the Middle Ages into it.
Also would have accepted futile. If you were doing the voice recognition thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
I agree with both Danielle and you. I skip conventions at the Hyatt (such as Anime Detour after they moved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Con of the North attendee
Matt Boehland wrote:
NoSoup4you wrote:
I agree with both Danielle and you. I skip conventions at the Hyatt (such as Anime Detour after they moved).
I agree with Danielle and both Matt's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, there was no Friday Funday question!

Well how about a

Saturday Superday question instead?

It’s exactly 12 days from Christmas as of today. If you could design your own advent calendar, opening 1 item from today onwards until Christmas, what would you put in it? Games and non-game things are fine. And you’re not size-limited to what would actually fit into an advent calendar, either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aethubryn wrote:
Just curious - what’s bad about the CotN hotel? Is it just that it’s overgrown the space, or are there other reasons? I had a good experience last year, but then I was helping out Kay/LU a fair amount of the time I spent there so I didn’t experience the con in general as much as most people.
In fairness, I'm not the biggest con enthusiast in the first place so I don't think my preferences add up to much. I don't like the crowded rooms or the noise and I generally don't like the locations which are frequently isolated suburban or airport hotels. I get it, they're probably relatively cheap to set up and they feature lots of parking and/or airport shuttles. However, I'm increasingly crabby about places that I can only reach via driving and then aren't close to anything else. Still, I've met a lot of awesome people by attending cons and there's value in dedicating a weekend or other chunk of time to game playing.

For the right experience, it would be easier to overcome my apprehensions to attend something downtown. It's an easy bus or bike ride for me, I can walk to other stuff if I need a little normal life in the midst of my con life, and I don't have the same safety concerns as others do. Not trying to say yours are unfounded, I just don't share them the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Frome
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone that has never been to a big board game Con:

What is the draw? Why do people like to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the con. And it depends on what your definition of Big is.

Here are the ones I've been to

OmegaCon - 200 people - 72 hours of straight gaming, food, and good people isolated from the city and your daily life. Great time. I hear there is a similar con Superbowl weekend around Hastings.

2d con - Mostly a old school video game convention with some board game play. Not sure the size it felt like a few thousand people. Some CCG and DnD organized play. For CHARITY.

Con of the North - 1000 to 2000 people? - Another Convention centered around playing games minus the food and I can't speak for all of the people. But it does add in some vendors and organized play/tournaments. Conveniently located in town so you can go home at the end of the night if you want.

Convergence - 6k people - more about science fiction panels and less about board games. Can't speak much to this one since I've never spent much time there.

Dice Tower Con - 5k people - An excuse to go to Orlando. Similar to Con of the north but much bigger. More Gaming Celebrities, huge library of games, Dice tower Shows, organized plays.

Dragon Con - 50k people - Excuse to go to Atlanta (No, I don't know why you would want to do that). Cosplay, Panels, huge vendor areas, less gaming, people watching. I haven't been but I would expect Galaxy con is a smaller version and San Diego ComicCon to be a larger version of the same concept.

GenCon - 70k people - Massive board game vendor area. New game releases, demos, organized play, tournaments, less playing more demos and buying. Fantastic Nerd Auction. It's the only reason to go to Indianapolis. Some Cosplay.

So it depends on what interests you. Every convention has it's own thing. Some it's about getting those big games played that you either can't find the people for or take to long for on a normal weekend. Some it's about meeting people or checking out the latest things. Others it's about the panels and celebrities.

Personally I love GenCon but I could see how others would hate it. Con of the north doesn't do much for me but Omega Con is a great time. I think Venue has a lot to do with it (I think Con of the North has outgrown it's location and is quite crowded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming communityMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: Box Fart
Aethubryn wrote:
If you could design your own advent calendar, opening 1 item from today onwards until Christmas, what would you put in it?
I'm afraid mine has already been done, as we discovered to our delight this year. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fromeea wrote:

I went to PAX Unplugged last weekend. It was my first big board game con. A friend was going and invited me to go. I was always intrigued by Gen Con and Essen but I feel they would be too big for me. PAX U is smaller and more focused on game playing while still having the vendors like the larger cons, so I thought I'd give it a try. After last weekend, I don't think I could handle anything bigger.

The location was good. Its in downtown Philadelphia at the convention center and our hotel was across the street. There was lots of places to get food within walking distance too. And the train station to get to and from the airport was only a couple blocks away.

A few weeks before going I ended up signing up to demo a couple games for a publisher at their booth. I always like teaching games. I was a very different experience than just setting up a game event at COTN. I worked 2x 4 hour shifts, where I would teach 1 game and people would play a few rounds to get a feel for the game. I really enjoyed it and I got a couple free games for doing it. I also got to pick up a game I had pre-ordered from them since there was a delay in them receiving the game and they were falling behind in shipping. Even better was when one of the employees came up to me and let me know that some of the people who bought the game after their demo complemented me on the teach. I think if I go to a big can again, I would sign up again to demo for a publisher.

Another bonus for doing so is that I got an exhibitor badge, though I had already paid for a 3 day badge. The exhibitor badge got me into the hall early and I didn't have to wait in line. I could walk around and looked at all the booths without the crowds. The one day I didn't work in the morning I was able to grab a couple games in game library that my friends and I wanted to play. I could have claimed a game in the first look area as well, but we were looking to play older games that we hadn't had a chance to play before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Windsor
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Minnesota Vikings fanMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Minnesota Vikings fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Minnesota Vikings fan
fromeea wrote:

Definitely the experience, an opportunity to play new or seldom played games (and large scale tournaments), an opportunity to meet new players, perhaps buy/sell/swap new/old/unwanted games, and listen to the organized verbal onslaught of a panel discussion.
Definitely Not for the smell or the possibility for catching 'convention crud' (some sort of virus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended BGGCON at the old hotel a couple of times and it has the draw of a huge library filled with some hard to find games as well as hosting the new hotness from Essen if that's your thing. Still, the main reason I'd return is to spend time with some of the attendees. Luckily, I get to see several of them at a super-tiny event that's really more of a friends' weekend than a convention. I heard really nice things about Pax Unplugged this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:
If you could design your own advent calendar, opening 1 item from today onwards until Christmas, what would you put in it?
I'm afraid mine has already been done, as we discovered to our delight this year. zombie

That reminds me of the "Jelly of the Month Club" from Christmas Vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"'Cause it's D.D.D. It's dynamite
D.D.D. will you win the fight..."

KS "arrived" today (I drove to the FedEx complex and got it myself).

So my 1 KS at a time self-regulation is now open. Anything good out there worth backing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
DiploGuy wrote:

So my 1 KS at a time self-regulation is now open. Anything good out there worth backing?
I'm anxiously awaiting my copy to arrive! Still no shipping notice yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still considering Car Wars 6th Edition for myself..

Looks like my Alhambra Designer’s edition finally shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria S
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Anybody else have Mon 23rd off and want to play some games?
Possibly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:

Did you back it or order it from a retail location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aethubryn wrote:

Well how about a

It’s exactly 12 days from Christmas as of today. If you could design your own advent calendar, opening 1 item from today onwards until Christmas, what would you put in it? Games and non-game things are fine. And you’re not size-limited to what would actually fit into an advent calendar, either
I will answer the question, but first, some historical info about advent and the 12 days of Christmas (sorry, personal soapbox following):

1. Advent is the period of 4 Sundays leading up to Christmas day. Don't know a lot about the history of advent, but it's mainly liturgical, as far as I know.

2. Advent calendars traditionally count down the days of December leading up to the 25th.

3. The Twelve Days of Christmas start on Christmas day, and go until the Feast of Epiphany (Twelfth Night, the Feast of Fools). The origin of this tradition is linked to the change between the Julian and Gregorian calendars, when anything that used to happen on Christmas Day (such as the blooming of the Glastonbury bush) now happened on Jan. 5th.

The sense of the 12 days as a countdown to Christmas day is, as far as I can tell, a modern bastardization of the advent and 12-days traditions brought on by marketing execs.

Okay (puts soapbox away): The advent calendar I've always wanted (and which I have designed, but have not found someone to build for me), is a bookshelf that will store 24 children's books. My collection doesn't quite have enough to fill the whole thing, but some selections will be: Polar Express, The Gift of the Magi, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Auntie Claus, Santa Calls (by William Joyce), and The Red Ranger Came Calling (by Berke Breathed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
DiploGuy wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:

Did you back it or order it from a retail location?
I backed it (and pretty much went all in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Aethubryn wrote:

Well how about a

My advent calendar would be this one: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/whi...

24 different types of whiskey to try. Unfortunately they don't ship it to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cooke
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fanMicrobadge: Ice hockey playerMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star fanMicrobadge: Ambiguity will get you somewhere
Anyone interested in a game of Dune at DV SSP tomorrow, Monday Dec. 16th? Say around 7pm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Aethubryn wrote:

Well how about a

My advent calendar would be this one: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/whi...

24 different types of whiskey to try. Unfortunately they don't ship it to the US.
That is very unfortunate, I would have loved to get that. Perhaps we could find 24 whiskey lovers, each buy a different bottle and sample them all on the same day and game...what could possibly go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  35 , 36 , 37 , 38 , 39  Next »  [54] |