Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend, I took my daughters (ages 4 & 6) home to visit my parents. Saturday was a beautiful day, and my mother and I took the girls to the park for a couple of hours to let them burn off some excess energy. As we were sitting and chatting under the pavillion at the park, I remembered that I had my copy of TtR in the car.

I usually keep it in the car as you never know when you're going to get the opportunity to introduce a non-gamer to gaming, but I'd also intended to try to talk my father into a game this weekend. I never considered asking mom to play as in all my 36 years, I can never remember her playing a board game with me and my siblings. Don't get me wrong - she's a wonderful mother who did many things with us as children. Gaming was just never her thing.

So you can imagine my surprise when I hesitantly mentioned that I had a game in the car that she might like, and she agreed to try it! Go mom! So I broke it out and began explaining the rules. Of course, that takes very little time with TtR, and since she was dutifully paying attention and had only a few clarifying questions, we were off and playing in under 5 minutes.

I tried to explain the strategy in ticket selection - how it's better to pick longer routes if you can and especially better if you can pick routes that have links in common. She kept 2 tickets as did I. My selection was rathe poor tho - Montreal to Raleigh and Boston to Washington - a measely 11 points I think. She ended up with Las Vegas to Miami and Los Angeles to Miami - what a draw!

So we set about drawing trains and claiming routes. After about 6 turns, I was ready for new tickets. I drew New York - Nashville and Miami - Sault St. Marie. Not too bad. About the time I completed these, she completed hers.

My next draw, I got Chicago - El Paso and Philadelphia - Salt Lake City plus I picked up Portland - Vancouver for 2 easy bonus points. She drew Calgary to Ok City and Winnipeg to Houston.

Honestly, I was intentionally not playing my best game, but it's really hard to throw a game of TtR. I ended up winning, not because of superior play or ticket selection, but mainly because she didn't complete a 19 point ticket and I barely edged her out for Longest Route.

In the end, I think she scored 125 and I scored 137. Normally, I'd not be surprised at someone enjoying TtR, but this was my mom we were talking about - someone whom I'd NEVER seen play a board game before. And she liked it! We didn't get a chance to play again over the weekend, but believe me, the next time I go home, TtR will be going with me and I'll be getting her AND dad to play with me.

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always nice to read about someone striking a chord with the ultimate non-gamer. My mom will play party games, but I've really been worried about trying to introduce TtR to her (even though the rules are quite simple). I know my stepdad would like it.

However, reading this might just give me the motivation to give it a shot sometime. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get that to work on my mother I will bow down to you, as she truly is the ultimate game hater, er, I mean non-gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.