Subject: How to play it solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just about to push the button on Sword & Sorcery but read comparisons with this one where it is often said Descent is better. I had initially dismissed it as it seems to be overlord against the others and I will likely only ever play solo.
But you can play alone using an App or something (expansion perhaps?), is that right? How does it work?
I expect this has been asked before but couldn't find anything in the first few pages or using the search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The app play of Descent has its own title in BGG, so all links discussing it moved there.

To your question, what the app does, is that it tells you how to build the map and what monsters to put in. After you tell it that your hero operated, it will tell you what the monsters do.

For example :

"All spiders move towards the closet hero and attack"

And it's up to you to carry out those orders.

That's pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is called “road to legend”. It includes free missions and dlc. You could download it, take a look, and decide if it seems like fun before actually buying descent (at the cost of spoilers for the missions). That said, I believe there is some randomness/ variability built into the scenario generation.

I haven’t played it much, but hopefully it does what you are looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Curie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Sword & Sorcery won't disappoint for solo, descent unfortunately will be short lived for your solo needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
The app play of Descent has its own title in BGG, so all links discussing it moved there.

Ah...
agent easy wrote:
The app is called “road to legend”
The BGG area for that says 98% Not Recommended 1 player, I will check I am looking at the right thing.
poxdac wrote:
Sword & Sorcery won't disappoint for solo, descent unfortunately will be short lived for your solo needs.
I am inclined to agree and go with my first idea. Meanwhile my research also uncovered Perdition's Rift, looks interesting too but not drawing me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
ddtank wrote:

agent easy wrote:
The app is called “road to legend”
The BGG area for that says 98% Not Recommended 1 player, I will check I am looking at the right thing.
There are two road to legend games on BGG

Make sure you are looking the 2016 one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are looking at First Edition Road to Legend here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29298/descent-road-legen...

...which does indeed have a 98% 1 player not recommended rating.

You should instead look at Second Edition Road to Legend here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/200784/descent-...

...which has a 63% 1 player recommended and 0% 1 player not recommended rating.

They are two totally different and incompatible game systems. Spend your time looking at the second edition one, not the first edition one, before you make your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confusing, thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
poxdac wrote:

Odd. I've played Descent solo/coop for over a year consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Standifer
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't wish to use the app, there are several items in the files section, including RedJak's Automated Overlord Variant (ROAV) that you might like. There are some other solo variants to be found there as well. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest solo variant is called Road to Peril and included in the Sands of the Past fan expansion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2226931/sands-past-release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
poxdac wrote:

Obviously this is just one’s person opinion and I can’t comment on S&S but I can tell you that descent is great for solo play. There is so much material available from the official app and fan created co-op variants. You can use one of several different solo variants to play through all the boxes campaigns. I’ve tried many of them and they all have strengths and weaknesses but they all allow for a fun experience. Several of them even have fan made digital support. I’ve even played the game straight-up as the OL trying to beat 4 AI heroes and had a blast.

Poke around the files or the variant forum and you’ll find a bunch of great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
ddtank wrote:
I am just about to push the button on Sword & Sorcery but read comparisons with this one where it is often said Descent is better.

Really? I'd stick with S&S myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can vouch for the print on demand campaigns as those are usually what I use when I play the game solo.
It might also be because I don't want to bring my laptop along when playing the game so the co-op campaigns work fine enough.

They are quite silmilar though. The Road to Legend app gives you the map pieces to use and tell what monsters to use and then gives instructions for the monsters.
The co-op campaigns has similar mechanic, but there is (obviously) a separate deck that tells you how the monsters should act and another deck that will randomise the map pieces that you use in your game.

Nowadays Road to Legends will give you more content to play with so I would go for that one. It is also much easier to have (you can find it from iOS, from Android store or from Steam) and doesn't cost anything extra to use (if you choose not to purchase the extra content in it).

It is a very good advice to look at the app without the game to see how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a very short vid about playing Descent as an app-avoidant soloist. I haven't played S&S, but Descent worked great, even without the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Isagam
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Road To Legend app is excellent for solo play, as is the Redjak (?) variant that uses a deck of AI cards. Despite what's been said by some above, I think the possibilities for Descent solo play are pretty limitless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the further input. I think I am still swayed towards S&S - though to be fair, perhaps I should now spend the same amount of time researching Descent to the same degree I did already with S&S...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
ddtank wrote:
Thanks all for the further input. I think I am still swayed towards S&S - though to be fair, perhaps I should now spend the same amount of time researching Descent to the same degree I did already with S&S...

No problem, see you in a month

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha-ha, that's about right. Being careful (who said tight?!) with my money and wanting to avoid wasting it, I spend more time researching games than actually playing any...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Descent, but for playing solo I have to say that Road to Legend lacks in variety. Too few campaigns, and some Delve stuff that I don't care for at all. But that's my opinion.

With that being said, I'm not sure how much time in total you want to spend on a game, because even though I think it's too little it still takes many many hours to play through what there is. Also, Descent is supported by Valkyrie in which people can make and upload their own scenarios.

Sword and Sorcery however was a big let down for me. Just very fiddly in comparison but for no good reason since it doesn't make it any more interesting. I also personally felt that it lacked in atmosphere for some reason, hard to explain how, but it just didn't click with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I love descent but I have to disagree with Narstrand above - S&S is my favorite. I think it is more fiddly than descent but that is due to the excellent AI and gameplay situations which make the game more strategic and have a far better 'story' experience. I think it's more atmospheric than descent - the monsters behave like those kind of monsters would as opposed to descent where the monsters behave like the DM needs them too.

As multiplayer games both are well worth owning (though I slightly favour S&S) - but if your playing solo only I think S&S is the absolute no brainier of the 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Narstrand wrote:

Sword and Sorcery however was a big let down for me. Just very fiddly in comparison but for no good reason since it doesn't make it any more interesting.
I actually think the main issue is that S&S doesn't have an app.
If it had an app just to take some of the fiddliness from it, it could be huge.

Narstrand wrote:

I also personally felt that it lacked in atmosphere for some reason, hard to explain how
Horrible pop culture puns would do that for you.

That being said, I actually love both Descent and S&S and play them both on a regular basis. Solo included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S&S does have an app. It can store character set-ups between plays, not sure if it is capable of anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
ddtank wrote:
S&S does have an app. It can store character set-ups between plays, not sure if it is capable of anything else.
The S&S app is horrible and doesn't add much.

It's easier to just put stuff in bags and call it a day.

I'm talking about an actual app that speeds up the game like Gloomhaven doesץ

I'm talking about an app that could easily track event decks, encounter cards etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, I wasn't sure what it was capable of.
To be honest, I am not sure I want to be fussing about with Apps. The whole point of my "dungeon quest" is to find something similar to what I like as a PC game but hands-on and without the PC (or tablet... though that is usually next to me to look up rules questions as I am learning...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |