Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow geeks,

Been looking at these 4 games and there seem to be some similarities with these 2 pairs.

Did anyone also have this impression?

Diamant and No thanks both have a "push your luck" mechanism isn't it? And Diamant is definitely more expensive than No Thanks, is it a more prudent choice to get No thanks? Does Diamant play better?

For Bang and Mag Blast they seem really good games and i feel like getting them both...only concern is that they also are too similar.

Any thoughts for those who played them before?

Happy Gaming and thanks in advance for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sadly" all 4 games are good ones.
Only flaw I see is that No Thanks is absolutely not similar to Diamant. Well... you can find similarities but it sure doesn't feel similar.

I would encourage you to chose the games either by theme or by the number of players.
Bang and Diamant for larger groups and No Thanks and Mag Blast for groups around 4 players. But you can't really do anything wrong with those games.

Just one word of advice: the latest edition of Mag Blast has some funny cartoonish graphic while the older (2nd?) edition uses a way cooler, darker look - so you might want to go with this one.. But again, it all depends on your group and your taste.

Btw: for a push your luck game you can also consider the classic Can't Stop

Hope that helps,
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Diamant and No Thanks have some similarities, but they feel very different for some reason.

Diamant has the advantage in that it can accommodate up to 8 players, and if you play with non-gamers, is a little easier to explain.

If those points don't matter to you, then No Thanks is WAY cheaper...

Either way, you can't lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant / Incan Gold has more theme than No Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viny wrote:
Hi fellow geeks,

For Bang and Mag Blast they seem really good games and i feel like getting them both...only concern is that they also are too similar.

I can give you some ways that these two differ. That may help you make your choice. IMO Bang! is a little bit more luck intense than the other, but has a bluff/diplomacy element. Bang! has secret missions for every player except the sheriff. Of course, you find out people's missions eventually, but there is this cool tense period, where the bullets are flying and it's not 100% who friends and foes are.

Mag Blast has a bit more strategy in that you can manage your luck a little bit. You control where your fleet positions itself and you can dance and juke with where dreadnaughts, carriers, and minesweepers are placed to force your opponents into difficult stategic situations.

It's of little help to you of course that I like them both. I don't see them is being all that similar. But I have Naval Battles, which is a whole lot like Mag Blast to me.

Like others have said, pick which theme you like more.

Maybe this will appeal to you. I was pleased with the BANG! Dodge City expansion. It adds several good elements to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mag Blast has better sound effects. On the other hand, Bang let's you Bang someone in jail. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Diamant is very light and fluffy, almost no strategy or tactics involved at all, it is strictly a push-your-luck game. No Thanks is a much deeper game with both strategy and tactics, and can be played by much more serious gamers on a more frequent basis. Once you play Diamant a couple times, it probably won't be played by the same group again, except in a party-situation, or when trying to bring newbies into the fold. Diamant supports more players, No Thanks truly shines in the 3 and 4 player zone.

I greatly dislike both Bang and Magblast so I can't help you there. I find both to be way too long for what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all four and I wouldn't actually describe any of them being very similar to the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice people

i will have to mull over the info and make my decision soon...

but i am leaning towards No thanks...since diamant seems to have a lower replayability and its MUCH more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.