Subject: Sharing our group's AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: session [+] [View All]
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already posted this on the game's facebook group, but I thought it could be interesting to share it here for everyone to read, if they want to.

We finally got to play the game... and after talking with Eivind I've already seen we've done some things wrong! Haha, but oh well, It's not a big deal.

Our story... starting in 1444...
We gathered last tuesday at 7 PM. Wednesday is a local festivity were we live, so nobody had to get up early and we were expecting a long night becoming rulers of 6 countries during the XV century. We were ready to colonize, conquer and rule Europe... but first I had to answer all the doubts everyone had... so we started our journey around 8 PM... with our own handcrafted cards, dice and projecting tabletop simulator to the room's wall

We chose nations randomly. I got castille... which I think it was a good pick. I just wanted to avoid being england or France because that would force me into 100 years war and I wanted to get a feel of the game before that. Castille seemed nice.. good exploration options and easy conquest of granada just to test how battles work.
First years
The game starts and everyone picks their cards. I'm not very lucky with advisors and I only get a +1 Administrative power character, but oh well. Other players start with far better advisors but listening to the tabletop I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to do my explore-colonize game, since I seem to be the only one going for it, even if I'm not saying anything about it.

We use the new events rules, where players can only see the first 3 events of the deck. Every time an event is picked, 2 ducats are placed on the face-up events that were not chosen and a new event is revealed. The first events are generic ones, but Poland gets lucky and gets the Successor of Wladyslav III event, which saves him from regency and puts Kazimierz IV at the throne. What a lucky boy. The next event is revealed.. which is a plague. Not very interesting for me at this moment, but some people love it. Plague basically let's you choose two adjacent areas, one of which must have one of your provinces. Armies in those areas lose 1/2 of their troops and generate no income during that round.

Things move smoothly and the ottoman player recruits some units. France prepares for a possible war and I go for the Quest of the new world Idea. This idea allows me to set sail to india! Sadly, I end up in some weird place. The explorer tells me the name of the new land is... Maracaibo? What a strange name, but land is land, so We'll be colonizing that... later. Meanwhile, France has decided to destroy English presence in Europe. They have enough with their pesky island, and quite frankly, the french player doesn't want to ignore easy Victory points he gets by conquering Gascony and normandy. He calls the Scotland allies to arms, spending one point of influence. The scots are not going to support France with a big army, but this will threaten England by having to defend their mainland and French possessions at the same time. The first battle, which takes place in normandy, is easily won by the french army but the war has just started.
England picks the plague event, targetting Gascony and Seine, which contains 2 of the biggest income provinces of France: Paris and Champagne. The french army is basically destroyed at this point, since they had concentrated lots of units there. It's a severe blow.

Meanwhile, Poland and Austria are living a peaceful life. They are both increasing their influence around. But the ottoman declares war to the byzantine Empire and battles their troops in Constantinolpe. The fight is quite hard, but in the end constantinople falls and so do Morea and Athens in the following turns.

These firsts years end with the french player getting a somewhat strange revenge. The next events are kind of generic, but one appeals to him: heretics. This event works similarly to the plague one, but instead of halving troops in the areas, it creates heretics there, which changes the area religion to "Diverse Faiths" Oh well, that's gonna cause some unrest! he chooses to target himself at Seine and also go for East anglia, where London is located. Things are getting interesting!

The round ends and we check what happens. Oh boy, all areas with religious dissent get an unrest? That's NICE. Ottomans start seeing their orthodox provinces getting some unrest and so do the Poland player. French and England also take a big hit because of the last event played. Some provinces rebel!

The next rounds

The last round ended and we got some interesting things happening everywhere, but the true meat starts now. One of the new events is the war of the roses which, unsurprisingly, the French player GRABS. (Turn order had changed because the first player to pass last round was Poland, but the English player could do nothing to avoid that).

After activating the war of roses, the English player seems almost destroyed. He loses 1 manpower and 3 rebels spawn in northumbria. That, together with the recent revolts he faced because of the heretics, makles England quite painful to look at.

But hey, this is perfect for me. After France picks this event to punish England, we flip a new one and... lucky me, it's the iberian wedding! I had something else in mind, but this is a great opportunity which I won't give up. I pick the event and choose to unite castille and aragon crowns which means I get plenty of influence over aragon and an alliance + royal marriage. Aragon is basically a new part of my kingdom just waiting to be annexed at this point. But this event also created 3 rebels and some unrest in Leon... A small price to pay for having this amazing event. Oh, And I also get a new ruler: Isabella, which is a nice 3/4/2 queen.

The English player starts recruiting some troops in the southern part of England. He has changed his objective and now wants to recover Northumbria from the rebels and punish the scots afterwards. In the east, Austria keeps playing the diplo game, rising its imperial authority, while Poland starts to expand its influence with a single objective in mind, vassallize the teutonic order. They have lots of diplomatic power and also own the necessary cards to vassalize / annex some nations. They are going for it. During this early turns, they manage to absorb Mazovia, which started the game as their vassal.

The Otomans decide to recover from their last war. They focus on removing unrest from their provinces because they got a little mad when they became independent because of different religions. He also started to convert greece and macedonia & thrace areas to sunní, while starting to expand its influence over Karaman with clear intentions to vassalize them.

And France goes mad. Eager to destroy England and finding themselves quite harmed by the plague event, they choose to take 3 loans, which means they get 15 ducats, and spend almost everything on mercenaries, since they are short on manpower.This new army will be enough to destroy the remaining english units in France, but will it be enough to win the war?

In the next turns I simply consolidate my position in Leon recruiting some units and destroying the rebels. I won't be able to colonize anything yet, but that's not as bad as it seems. Every turn I have claims on explored areas I get new colonists for free, which means I'll be more prepared for future colonization.

The English finally decide to push north and destroy the rebels. Then enter Scottish lands and destroy every single unit out there. They just have to wait and siege everything. But at this point, the French start negotiating. Surpisingly, they end up accepting some friendly peace terms which make it hard to understand who won and who lost, really. Since it's a matter of time until English provinces in Europe are occupied and the same can be said about Scotland, they simply exchange lands. France completely sells their former ally to England, and France gets to recover normandy and Gascony. Weird deal that ends the 100 year war prematurely... but the french still have to recover. With that new setting scheme of things, England now has a new objective: Conquering Ireland.

Some generic non-remarkable events are taken this time. The most interesting part is that the "Claim to the Throne of Naples" event appears, but France cannot pick it up because he already picked the war of roses (And you can only pick one event). The event is finally picked up by the Austrian player, who is happy to end any French projection into Italy. He has been working towards getting influence all over northen Italy with some success, getting a royal marriage with Venice (Even though they are a republic and I don't know if this should be possible ūü§Ē) They also managed to get an alliance with Bohemia, which they will try to vassalize later.

The ottomans were creating claims on Albania because... oh well. You know why,..

Keeping it up

"My Queen... A weird man came last day and asked us to see you and ferdinand... he wants ships and money to go to India sailing to the west... his name is Cristopher Columbus"

And yes, it was in this round when Cristopher Columbus event appeared. Assuming epochs to be around 100 years and taking into account that each epoch has 4 rounds, I would say each round simulates around 20 years. This means that Cristopher Columbus arrived between 1484 and 1504, which is suprisingly accurate, to be honest. I love this.

Sadly for him, being a ruler from the future has its advantages and I already know there were splendid lands waiting for me around 1444, so I went there way before he had the idea. But this didn't prevent me from sending him to the west anyway. I already had the quest for the new world idea, so instead of giving me that, I got 2 Diplomatic points and a free Explore action. It's not that bad... so I sent Columbus out there and he discovered new land which we called Mississipi. I didn't say this before, but I managed to be in control of the papal curia by now and I was getting 1 extra diplomatic point per turn. I also hired new advisors. A diplomatic one which gives me 3 diplomatic point per turn and a military one which gives me 2 diplomatic points per turn. I'm feeling quite confident, but I still need to improve my economy, which is by far my biggest weakness compared to the other powers. Something I expect to change sooner than later thanks to colonial growth,

Anyway, after the french - english war ended, the next wars were quite mild. England focused on conquering Ireland... the Irish never had a chance and fell after a while. France still had some work to do in its land, and declared war to Britanny aiming to conquer Armor and Nantes. Britanny didn't have a chance either and the french army crushed them. It should be noted that France was able to return 2 of the 3 loans he had taken the previous turn quite easily, since the new provinces gave him 4 extra ducats per turn since Bordeaux is a big province. This started to annoy me because I didn't want anyone else in the americas until later. Tensions were growing again between England and France because the french player chose to use an event to install some pirates in English trade nodes but I don't think we are going to see war soon between those two. But who knows? England still has a claim on Paris, so...

The Austrian kaiser finally vassalized Bohemia and set his eyes on Breslau, his new objective. It was a FAST war. Silesia is a one minor province in this game and it only took a single battle to conquer them, with a quick siege afterwards. Unexpectedly, a generic event forced everyone to roll for rebels and Silesia declared independence just after being conquered. It didn't mean much because Austria sieged them again in no time, but at least he had to waste 1 military point. At this point the diplomatic game of Austria waas bearing fruit. He had completed one of the milestones from the first era called "Itallic friends) which consists on reaching 3 points of influence with 3 nations of northern italy. He managed to get 3 influence on Venetia, Lombardy and Dalmatia Area by now. He was also enjoying very good relations with the polish ruler, but things were going to get weird. Just after conquering Breslau, Austria completed one of their objectives which basically added a claim on Mazovia and Maloposka area, which is... yes, you guessed. Part of Poland. Tensions frew for a moment, but the austrian ruler assured there was no intention of war against Poland as he decided to turn west and set his eyes on burgundy, which owns some province that are rightfully part of the Holy Roman Empire. Something has to be done here... or that's what he thought.

This was quite bad because Poland kept expanding unchecked. Vassalizing Prussia allowed him to vassalize all of Lithuania, turning him into a big powerhouse which was easily capable of creating a big army out of nowhere. He then used this power to attack the Livonian order and Riga, incorporating them in no time. Furthermore, he managed to get good relations with the otoman sultan by picking the "Fate of the Crimean Khanate" Event and choosing to "Accept the crimean servitude" which basically meant they freely vassalized Crimea. This was in exchange of 10 ducats, and allowed the ottoman player to keep Mehmed as a ruler, since he is quite superior to bayezid II. Had he picked the event, he would have been forced to change rulers, but since the event was picked by Poland, he could choose to keep Mehmed.On top of that, the ottomans managed to conquer Albania and Serbia, which where no trouble or his armies... and he finished with a beautiful position to reach the heart of Hungary.

At this moment, Hungary is basically a buffer state between the Otomans, Austria and Poland. All of them want those lands, but it's still uncertain who will make the first move. Poland and Austria don't want to mess with each other and the ottomans might go for it, but he may fear starting a formal alliance between the other big powers if he dares to enter those lands. Only time will tell.

The french player managed to get the Italian wars Event, which gave 3 Military Power to Austria in exchange of a French claim on Lombardy and an alliance with florence. This event would also have given claims around italy to Austria if the french owned some cities in the areas, but since France has been ocuppied with the English all this time, an alliance and a claim for 3 MP was not a bad deal.

I was the first to end my turn this time because I was scared about not having enough money to maintain all my armies and advisors. It was quite a turn for me. not only did I conquer Granada, which was one of my objectives, I also managed to get enough colonists to create 2 colonies in Maracaibo and Mississipi. I expect to increase my colonies from those two key points from now on and I also look at my southern neighbours. My position is quite good since I have money and monarch power and I could be able to vassalize Aragon sooner than later, which will boost my income by quite a good amount. I still have to decide if going after Naples is a good Idea. I think I could diploannex them after Aragon, but I'm sure this would make someone mad... and I'm keeping a low profile at this moment. I need more money before doing anything stupid, but maybe vassalizing aragon will solve that.

It ended
And this is how our session ended. It may not seem much, but the game was pretty fun. We saved the game and want to continue it on 28 September.Now that we know how to play, I'm sure we won't take long turns and it shouldn't be a problem.
The game is frankly easy when you know how the little pieces mix together and is quite agile, something very strange in a game of this nature. We feel it captures Europa Universalis Feeling A LOT and are very happy to have tested it. I'll try to write a review and first thoughts of the gametomorrow and I'll obviously try to continue this AAR when the game continues after 28th of september.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kaede,

Could you post the link to FB group, please?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty map, by the way.

But still too much red, pink, purple, parma, lila on it. Seen on your picture, it looks like a Jason Pollock's painting (this final sentence is a wink to Eivind!)

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
Hello Kaede,

Could you post the link to FB group, please?

Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/europauniversalis.tbg/

Quote:
Pretty map, by the way.

But still too much red, pink, purple, parma, lila on it. Seen on your picture, it looks like a Jason Pollock's painting (this final sentence is a wink to Eivind!)
Quite honestly, I also thought it would be problematic. But I had no problems when I finally played the game. I think it makes the game recognisable for those who come from the videogame and it's not harmful when playing.

If I had to point at some aspects of the board which could mean trouble for some people, that would be Non playing realms vassals and maybe their actual names, specially for non-european powers.

When a nation is vassal to another nation, a small version of their overlord's coat of arms is displayed at their side. It can be somewhat difficult to see if not playing attention. This actually happened in our game when austria vassalized Bohemia. Silesia, which is a bohemian vassal at the start of the game, is located in an adjacent area... we only realised this when the austrian player decided to conquer Silesia itself.

I don't think it made any difference when vassalizing them, but it surely would have been important if austria tried to take bohemia militarly, since Silesia should have helped.

As for the power names thing, it's quite difficult to understand what is happening if you have not played Europa Universalis videogame before or have you history lessons up to date. For example, there is no way to identify the mamluks if you don't know who they were. You just see their EU4 coat of arms and that's all. This won't be a problem for countries with names related to their capital or their starting area, but could be an issue for distant continents for some people.

That's specially true when some objective cards specifically ask you to conquer a nation. For example, as Castille two of your mission cards are conquer Maya and conquer Aztecs. That might be a silly example, but the provinces where mayans and aztecs are located are not called "MAYA" and "AZTEC" (Thankfully). They are called Central America and Mexico respectively

The same can be said about the Inca, which are located in Peru, Upper Peru and Chile provinces. Now, I think the kind of people who will play the game will know about this, but I could see someone knowing that Inca + Aztecs + Maya are native americans, but not exactly knowing what was their location. That might be a problem for them.

Thankfully, I told this to Eivind and he is taking this into account, so I guess it won't be an issue when the game is finally in our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I did forget : Good job, Kaede. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, game sounds great.

I have an issue with Poland being able to vassalize the knightly orders though...you would think there would be huge negatives to this attempt due to different religions and goals, if not an outright exclusion of the possibility.

And the 100 years war over in two turns...yeah, that too seems unlikely historically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
And the 100 years war over in two turns...yeah, that too seems unlikely historically.
Not necessarily. The game starts in 1444 and the Hundred Years' War is over in 1453.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR - how are you playing this? I heard there was going to be a TS version, but didnt hear about accessing or testing it (no Facebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds great. It sounds like it's not just a great game but would even serve as a great game system. Thanks for writing up this AAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Great report, game sounds great.

I have an issue with Poland being able to vassalize the knightly orders though...you would think there would be huge negatives to this attempt due to different religions and goals, if not an outright exclusion of the possibility.

I could see the teutonic order being vassalized since the year is 1444 and this kind of institutions are in decline. I'm not an expert but I think at that point the teutonic order was like any other state.

In fact I think we could say that the teutonic order ended up becoming a polish vassal after the 13 years war.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The game starts in 1444 and the Hundred Years' War is over in 1453.
I think each round encompasses around 20-25 years, so it would make sense.

Quote:
Great AAR - how are you playing this? I heard there was going to be a TS version, but didnt hear about accessing or testing it (no Facebook)
Well, I guess facebook is not needed. If you read the last Development diary I think Eivind explained how to test it. You have to add their account on steam.

I basically created my own dice and cards because we didn't want to play virtually (not all my friends own TTS) then I projected the computer image to a wall and there you.

Quote:
This game sounds great. It sounds like it's not just a great game but would even serve as a great game system. Thanks for writing up this AAR.
I will continue it on 28th september. It is a great game indeed with a good and easy-going system. The game has lots of options and actions for you to choose, but are not that complicated.

It's still in need of polishing some areas, but it's very good as it is right now. I can only see it becoming better.

I'll also write a review / first thoughts soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I take it back, incredible;

"1525, Grand Master Albert of Brandenburg resigned and converted to Lutheranism, becoming Duke of Prussia as a vassal of Poland. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milton Soong
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AAR seems to generate a lot of cool narrative. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msoong wrote:
The rewriting of history despite of historical events is quite interesting.

@Kaede, don't forget to tell us the rest of the story, amigo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
msoong wrote:
The rewriting of history despite of historical events is quite interesting.

@Kaede, don't forget to tell us the rest of the story, amigo...
Don't worry, we are gonna play next saturday if nothing goes wrong.
Let's see what happens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaede11 wrote:

Quote:
Well, I guess facebook is not needed. If you read the last Development diary I think Eivind explained how to test it. You have to add their account on steam.

I basically created my own dice and cards because we didn't want to play virtually (not all my friends own TTS) then I projected the computer image to a wall and there you.
Thanks for the reply - Is there a PDF version of the rules located anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dradice wrote:
Kaede11 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply - Is there a PDF version of the rules located anywhere?
You can enter this FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/europauniversalis.tbg/

Some public files are located there.

As for the latest PDF, I don't know if Eivind has made it public yet, so I'll just let him answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just reading through the rules but have not played yet.

Could you please list a few of the bigger issues you had with the rules and how you solved them (to help me get started)?

I am currently struggling with events - It says you draw the same amount of cards as players and then flip 3 over. I couldn't find where you flip more over though...At the start of each round? It says when you run out, the era is over but then in other places it says there is four rounds per era...

The other question is that it seems the rules contain one scenario, a four player one. In TS you can choose 6 players - is the auto set-up in TS only for 4 players or can it be played by 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Quite honestly, I asked a lot of things to Eivind (the creator) before playing our game, so it would be hard to summarize everything I asked in one post, but I'll do my best to answer all your doubts if you have any.

I advise you to read the rules once and then start playing a single player game using all sides using tabletop simulator. Keep the rulebook nearby so you can follow the procedures easily. Lots of things are intuitive when you have the board in front of you.

As for what you asked, after creating the era 1 deck, you must draw X cards, where X is the amount of players in the current game. So, in a complete game with 6 players, you must draw 6 cards.

Then you flip 3 cards and every time an event gets activated, a new card is flipped. You can find this info on page 11:

Quote:
When taking this Action you must pick
a currently available Event from the Event
Display, and tag the vacated space with a
cube of your color. Place 2 ducats from the
general supply on each unpicked face-up
Event. Then flip another Event face-up if
there are face-down cards remaining
Keep in mind that events are what determines "the flow of time" in the game. Each TURN is comprised by an infinite amount of ROUNDS where players take one action. A TURN ends when X amount of players decide to not take any action and pass. (X depends on the amount of total players in the game) but no player can choose to pass if they have not activated an event.

This means that a TURN will never end until all events have been activated.

As it is right now, the rulebook only includes a 4 player scenario but the tabletop simulator module can be set-up for 3 to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mossel Man
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi, just reading through your AAR.

Are you guys experienced with the EU4 video game? I am interested in the kickstarter, but I worry how accessible the game will be for those who haven't played EU4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls