8 Posts

Obsidian Protocol» Forums » General

Subject: Looks utterly fantastic and super dangerously risky. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks absolutely stunning and awesome. But man it's risky. I mean let's face it a bunch of kids Behind nearly a hundred thousand bucks worth of funding, based in China and with a trade War raging between the US and China, you can't get any riskier than that. Anybody here rolling the dice on this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Lee
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the Trade War, but still risky as the dude has only done one Kickstarter and the scale is exploding. Minis games usually lose professionals when the scale get to the point where it's not financially tenable to manufacture the minis, example being the Macross miniatures game KS. Either that or do a super limited edition run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leoleez wrote:
the dude has only done one Kickstarter

You mean no Kickstarters, since the previous one was not funded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Li
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Actually the game was successfully funded on a Chinese crowdfunding website Modian (https://zhongchou.modian.com/item/4274.html) in June and 512 backers pledged CNY 917,265.88.

Considering pulling the trigger... Such a tough decision to make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungleee wrote:
Actually the game was successfully funded on a Chinese crowdfunding website Modian (https://zhongchou.modian.com/item/4274.html) in June and 512 backers pledged CNY 917,265.88.

Considering pulling the trigger... Such a tough decision to make!

The Chinese crowdfunding effort means nothing. It just means more money for them to lose and squander away with bad business decisions. Like I said these guys appear to have zero experience in any of this. I mean, when people asking them about shipping their response is that they don't have enough experience to offer any sound answers to those questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Li
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yeah I won't be surprised if the shipping is delayed for months or even years. The tariff issue and trade wars are unpredictable, which may further put things off.. They seem to be a little overconfident about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern is less with shipping and more with if he can get all this stuff manufactured for the price. Maybe there are some advantages to being in China when dealing with manufacturers? Not that I'd want to pay more, but it seems like a lot of stuff for the money when compared to the low production runs that would appear to be involved.

The KS states "injected plastic", but PVC is also injected plastic, right? And it was mentioned in the US KS comments somewhere (I believe) that the expansions may be in resin if the print runs are low. So, will what is delivered even look like the beautiful prototypes in the pictures?

And finally, the creators English is better than my (non-existent) Chinese, but he still doesn't seem comfortable enough with the language to give detailed responses in KS comments.

I think it's definitely a gamble. You'll either get a fantastic looking mecha game in a year or two, or you'll lose a ton of cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we didn't pledge any KS from new company or creator we didn't have a lot of great games now (one for all KDM) so yes, it's a gamble and you can face it with just a basic pledge or even 1$ and see how it goes before give more money to them. For sure it is the definitive mecha game we all awaited for so long so if it won't happen we lost more than our money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls