Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinny B
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I love MoM and LOTR: Journey in middle-earth so I suppose Descent 2.0 would be good ! I play mainly solo this kind of games.

Imperial assault looks good but it’s looks very pricey to have not that much of solo content.

Now some questions.

1- From what I understand, there are several campaigns with the app. How many scenarios each campaign has ?

2- Without the app, you can’t play solo right ? BUT, there is a guy who created an AI so you can play solo ? If that’s right, how many scenarios is there to play again ?

Thanks !

edit :
Another question, is it a battle only games or you have several types of objectives like Mansion of madness and LOTR:JiME ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dentifrice wrote:

1- From what I understand, there are several campaigns with the app. How many scenarios each campaign has ?

There are 4 campaigns available within the app:

1. Rise of All Goblins
- tutorial campaign with 2 story scenarios, playable with base game only.

2. Kindred Fire
- 6 story scenarios, playable with base game only.

3. Seeds of Corruption
- 6 story scenarios, playable with base game and Shadow of Nerekhall expansion.

4. Embers of Dread
- 6 story scenarios, playable with base game and Lair of the Wyrm plus Labyrinth of Ruin expansions.

In between the story quests, optional side quests may be played. Typically a full campaign consists of 12-20 quests total, each with a playtime between 1.5 and 3 hours. In addition, the Road to Legend app features a randomized dungeon crawl mode called The Delve.

Quote:
2- Without the app, you can’t play solo right ? BUT, there is a guy who created an AI so you can play solo ? If that’s right, how many scenarios is there to play again ?
Yes, there are several community-driven systems available that allow playing the standard campains that come with the physical base game and its expansions. The most recent one is called Road to Peril and in included in the Sands of the Past community expansion. At the moment Heirs of Blood and Sands of the Past campaigns are playable with this system.
In the past, BGG user RedJak developed additional coop systems called RAOV and RAMV. Road to Peril is in fact the spiritual successor of RAMV, designed to enhance and streamline RAMV. As far as I know, all official quests are playable with RAMV and RAOV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny B
Canada
flag msg tools
thanks !

Sadgit wrote:

In between the story quests, optional side quests may be played. Typically a full campaign consists of 12-20 quests total, each with a playtime between 1.5 and 3 hours.

Just so I understand. EACH campaign is 6 story scenarios there are several side questions to make it to 12-20 total.

So, if we forget the tutorial campaign, you could say you have, in total, 36 to 60 missions if you play them all with base game and two expansions. Right ?

What about those side quests. Are they fun or just filler ?

edit :
Another question, is it a battle only games or you have several types of objectives like Mansion of madness and LOTR:JiME ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is 12-20 quests per full campaign. Although there are some alternative quests which are unlocked based on the progress of your campaign the story quests are more or less set. However, the side quests are randomly chosen from a pool of available side quests. The base game unlocks 10 of those. If you own all expansions, the side quest pool is increased to 26.

Although side quests are optional, they offer the heroes welcome opportunities to gain fame (= unlock better equip) and gold (= buy more equipment). The design of most side quests is pretty unique and interesting.

Solo play using the app is much more focused on combat compared to the play vs. an human OL. Still, most quests offer interesting mechanics and objectives for the heroes to complete. As heroes are always on the clock, killing monsters is not priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny B
Canada
flag msg tools
thanks ! The game looks fun and so far, I love every FFG I bought (MoM, JiME and Outer Rim).

I might give it a go !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian
Germany
flag msg tools
There are three official adventures for solo/coop play without an app or community stuff:
1. Natures Ire
2. Forgotten Souls
3. Dark Elements

At least for German speaking players there are some community made adventures that also don't require the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
becauseofyou wrote:
There are three official adventures for solo/coop play without an app or community stuff:
1. Natures Ire
2. Forgotten Souls
3. Dark Elements

At least for German speaking players there are some community made adventures that also don't require the app.

I second getting the physical co op stuff as well. They play a little different than the normal RtL app and they're MUCH harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls