Sangchol Shin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi! guys..

Now, Canadian dollars are stronger than US...Wow!!

Just wondering if buying games from US online retailers is better than Canadians in terms of prices..

I never bought games from US stores before...

Buying games from US retailers looks much cheaper than Canada now. Are there any additional charges for games? i mean other extra taxes and other possible things...
US retailers should be better. However,I want to make sure about this.

Any comments??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a lot of games online and I still go with a Canadian Presence.

You still have to factor GST (even PST, I think in some cases) so that's going to add either 7 or 15%. Plus, you have to factor in shipping. I am not sure about the duty rules I can get free shipping from the Canadian online store I deal with if I order over $200. Even still, any order until $100 is only $10 shipping... which is a lot better than a lot of US shipping rates.

I will go to a US retailer if there is something I cannot absolutely get at my Canadian presence (In town, I have a great FLGS that can get me anything at really good prices).

Work out the math, factor in your shipping and taxes and you'll find that even with getting 1.01 US for your Canadian dollar, it may not be worth it just right yet to shop at a US site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping and duty fees are the biggest additional costs when buying south of the border.

Shipping by any other method other than USPS will land you excessive fees .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we spell "Colour" differently "Color"

Other than that is the Loony strong enough to offset the shipping cost?? I know from Canada to the U.S. is not to awful (still a bit)

I would contact maybe Fair Play Games, (fairplaygames.com) They have always been very responsive and quick to answer any questions I have ever had (and their prices are not to bad, I use them and Thought Hammer mostly). Either of them should be able to help you out, Fair play is right next door in Michigan. Thought Hammer is farther away, but both have overall really good prices. I would guess that the amount you spend at one time (or shipment) will matter in what is declared or taxed when it comes across the border.

I would like to hear how it works out, is it cheaper, or not with the strong Canadian dollar??

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Only if you get it shipped USPS would it be barely worth it. Its the customs charges and import tariffs that make it pretty much pointless. If it comes by Fed-ex you could easily end up paying more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into ordering from the states but find that it's still cheaper to order from a couple good Canadian sites.

The cheapest prices I've seen are at www.starlitcitadel.com/games/

www.germangames.com has almost as good prices but has a better selection. Check Starlitcitadel first though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are media reports here in the US of Canadians crossing the border to visit brick-and-mortar stores to take advantage of a weakened dollar. Maybe going to a physical location is a better bet.

Good luck, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For most Wargames I find the discounts in the US make up for shipping & any border fee's.

My FLGS gives me a 10% flat discount though... but then i can't shop from work.

What a dilemma!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlitcitadel sure does have some great prices. I'm going to see if their special orders still carry a discount...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wamboldt
Canada
St Margaret's Bay
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that even with a weakened US Dollar, the prices are still cheaper in the US.....even with duty. My theory is most retailers and on-line stores in Canada purchased their inventories when the US Dollar was stronger and their prices reflect that. Wait a few months, and I'll bet that prices will drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm the co-owner of Starlit Citadel.

To answer a few points - yes, we are trying to keep prices as low as possible. I'm not sure what the charges are like for consumers bringing it over the border via mail, but either way, you'll definitely need to pay GST. Government always wants it cut.

Inventory - if there's something you want and it's not in stock / present on the site, e-mail us. We're working on increasing our inventory, roughly by 40-50 games a month at the moment and are always looking for good suggestions.

Special orders
- We normally get in new stock once every 2 weeks or so. If you're willing to wait, we'll discount them as much as we can.

Pick-up orders - if you're in the Greater Vancouver area, we do allow that which will save you on shipping.

Hope that answers most questions. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any others.

Tao
http://www.starlitcitadel.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how much you're buying at once as shipping isn't cheap. If you're making a large purchase, it may be cheaper to buy from the US; if you're making a small order, it won't be. Check what shipping method is used. USPS seems to be the cheapest, but you're still looking at about $20 for the fact that they're shipping you anything at all then $1-2 per pound on top of that. You won't escape GST as you'll get hit with that when you pick up your order from the post office as well as a $5 fee for the privilege of paying the GST.

On the other hand, a Canadian retailer will have higher prices per game, but lower shipping charges, quicker delivery and no $5 fee for the privilege of getting taxed.

I've shopped with German Games (Canada), Fun Games Cafe (Canada) and Boards and Bits (US) (as well as a few different FLGS). All three companies are great; it just depends on the particulars of your order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always keep waiting. I suspect that the CAD will continue to appreciate against the USD. It was at like 1.03 today......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.