Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of text about the movement dice, but I can't seem to understand how they work. They way I think I interpret it is as follows:

You roll movement dice. You then can move to a space on the map that matches a space on the dice. So if you get a forest die, you can move to a forest hex.

They way I think it might work is:

You roll five dice. You get a road, river, and three forests. If you're near a forest, you can move into the forest up to three spaces. If you're near a road and a forest, you may move up the road one space and then two into the forest. And so on. If no dice match the terrains you're near, you cannot move.

Are either of those correct? If not, can someone give a good example of how it all works? I looked at the rules PDF online, and I still couldn't puzzle it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How does Movement work?
Silopolis (#42537),

You roll the movement dice (4 or 5). If a die shows more than one type of terrain you choose only ONE of them. Then you move from space to ADJACENT space depending on the symbols on the dice.

You can always choose to move into 1 adjacent space (any terrain type) and roll no dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan (#42553),

So if you roll and get no terrain type you are adjacent to, you cannot move?

And if you roll 2 forests, can you move through 2 forest spaces if they are adjacent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
ekted (#42591),

These are both correct.

Mind you that each side of the die has 2-3 different terrain types and it's very rare that you will be completely unable to move if you roll 4 dice. You might not be able to go where you would like to but you should almost always have somewhere to go.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Mind you that each side of the die has 2-3 different terrain types and it's very rare that you will be completely unable to move if you roll 4 dice. You might not be able to go where you would like to but you should almost always have somewhere to go.

Also note that forest I believe only shows up on one side of the die, thus if you start the turn in the wilderness (roll 4 dice) you have about a 50% chance of not being able to move into it on a given turn. With fewer dice the chances are worse. Plan to simply use the move one space option late in the game to get to all those red spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Berger
United States
Near Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silopolis (#42537), I'm not sure if this was made clear above. The terrain symbols are like large pips on the dice. There are 2 or 3 on each side. "Easy" terrain appears on the dice more often (like roads and plains), and "difficult terrain" less often (like swamps and mountains). So you are more likely to be able to move on roads or through plains than through mountains. It is possible to get a roll with no plains (happened to me) or no forests (happened in the last game I played and the player could not move at all as he was deep in a forest and surrounded by forest hexes).
Also, you can rearrange the dice to try and get where you want. There is nothing that identifies the dice as first hex, second hex, etc. so you can put them in an order that helps you the most. Sometimes you will actually find that moving in another direction first will give you the only path to your desired destination because you have to travel over certain terrain.
I like the movement method but I must admit that it is responsible for most of the delays in the game. It is like solving a logic puzzle every turn.
A couple of other features of movement:
- You roll 5 dice when in a city and 4 anywhere else
- You can always enter a city if you have a dice left that you haven't used in previous movement (cities are all terrain)
- You can choose to roll less dice to remove fatigue counters from your character
- You need not use all the dice you roll in movement.
- You can always elect to not roll any dice and move one space (this helps when you are surrounded by difficult terrain). You must decide this before you roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzap wrote:Also, you can rearrange the dice to try and get where you want. There is nothing that identifies the dice as first hex, second hex, etc. so you can put them in an order that helps you the most.

You seem to imply here that you can move through multiple terrain types on a single roll. Someone else above says that you can only move through ONE terrain type. Can we resolve this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ditchburn
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#42670),

basically what you're doing is rolling the dice and then "spending" them one at a time to move into one adjacent hex. the most you could possibly move with 5 dice is 5 hexes. what i normally do to keep things simple is roll all the dice, and then move them into a 'used' pile to show that i've used them. i move into a forest hex, and remove a dice that has a forest icon, move into another forest hex and remove another forest dice, move onto a road and remove a dice that has a road symbol etc.

say you had a dice with a mountain and a river on it. if that was your only dice with a mountain or a river, you would have to choose either to use it for mountain movement or river movement. you could not do both unless you had another dice with another mountain or river symbol. if all 5 dice had a forest symbol on them, then you could move 5 forest spaces that turn.

hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#42670),

Sure you can move through multiple terrain types on your turn. That's the whole point! Your confusion stems from the fact that each die shows multiple terrain types on each face.

You're only allowed to use a given DIE to move through one of the terrains shown on its face. So a die showing Forest, Road, Mountain is good for one move through Forest, Road, OR Mountain - not Forest, Road, AND Mountain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin (#42685),

Yes, thank you. I finally received the game and played it. I think the movement description is ambiguous, but the example makes it pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how they should have explained movement:

Roll the dice. Arrange them in any order you like. Move to any adjacent terrain shown on the first die. Then, move to any adjacent terrain shown on the second die. Etc. You may stop at any time without using all the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.