Subject: Episode 155: Rurik-Dawn of Kiev rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this week's episode the pegs provide a deep dive review of the area control game Rurik: Dawn of Kiev. We also chat about all kinds of civ games: Tapestry, Hadara, Imperial Settlers: Empires of the North and Old West Emprasario.
https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2019/09/23/episode-155-rurik-dawn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it, I own and have played every game mentioned except for Old West Empresario and they're all fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Looking forward to it, I own and have played every game mentioned except for Old West Empresario and they're all fantastic!

Even the game "What's that SMELL?!?!?!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up (which you maybe don't need anymore): Orléans Stories is a stand-alone game, not an expansion. You cannot play it together with the original Orléans or any of its expansions.

That makes the steep price tag a tad more reasonable, but it's still a lot for a euro game when there are so many great euro games for less.
I think I'm good with Orléans, personally, although I would love to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
Speaking about those long campaign games, we're almost done with Gloomhaven that we're playing 3 players and started it sometime in May this year. We've been playing about 3 scenarios a week every Friday, with an occasional 2 player game during the week with my wife as we'd run through the random dungeons, and we're nearing 120 hours with it. It seemed like a lot of content at first, but after about 5 scenarios, I got the reusable stickers as there is a really good chance that we will be replaying it again, most probably on extra hard difficulty with either the same group of 3 or just with my wife.

I am also waiting on Etherfields and Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1 and I see us finishing those as well! Middara will be just me and my wife and should be fairly easy to get through the whole thing in 4-5 months for act 1 and probably another 6 months for act 2 and 3 as we can easily play this during the weekday evenings 2-3 times a week. Eitherfields, we might play 3 players after we're done with Gloomhaven's expansion and take a break from campaign nights by going through some regular board games, or I'll just get to it with my wife only during the week and probably finish it pretty quickly as well.

I skipped on Aeon Trespass: Odyssey though. It claims to have a lot of hours, but it feels like it just has a lot of content for the sake of content, and a lot of which is never going to be seen unless you purposely stretch the playtime to see everything, which is the same reason I skipped on 7th Continent. Exploration games with a lot of content end up too often with you seeing the same 40% of content most of the time and needing to really stretch the hours to see the remaining 60% that's usually not that fleshed out anyways, so I've never been a fan of high content exploration games in general.

But speaking of backing stuff, one game I am interested in and currently backing is The Isofarian Guard. It has a more reasonable ~40-50 hour playtime, and split up in 4 separate campaigns, making it a great choice when you want a short campaign in between things. Only downside for some people is that it's only 1-2 players, but this might also mean that it could be easier to play for many as they can play it with their spouse or just one friend, making it a lot easier to meet up for it and finish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wolff
United States
Grafton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for myself, but I saw that Aeon Trespass: Odyssey was a 3rd project for those guys and what shook me off the fence was that their other projects didn't have anywhere near this scope financially/backer count.

It looks neato burrito, but when I'm staring at KDM, Gloomhaven, and 7th Continent I really shouldn't add another to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
ekster wrote:

I am also waiting on Etherfields and Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1 and I see us finishing those as well! Middara will be just me and my wife and should be fairly easy to get through the whole thing in 4-5 months for act 1 and probably another 6 months for act 2 and 3 as we can easily play this during the weekday evenings 2-3 times a week. Eitherfields, we might play 3 players after we're done with Gloomhaven's expansion and take a break from campaign nights by going through some regular board games, or I'll just get to it with my wife only during the week and probably finish it pretty quickly as well.

I forgot about Etherfield. I backed that one too....

i might or might not have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
rookenoble wrote:

Board games are great for keeping your mind sharp when you retire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Robb, Jiminy Cricket here: "DON'T BACK THAT GAME!"

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Just a heads up (which you maybe don't need anymore): Orléans Stories is a stand-alone game, not an expansion. You cannot play it together with the original Orléans or any of its expansions.

That makes the steep price tag a tad more reasonable, but it's still a lot for a euro game when there are so many great euro games for less.
I think I'm good with Orléans, personally, although I would love to try this out.

See, that's what I get for reading emails at the last minute. I was so focused on the narrative qualities that I guess I just assumed it was an expansion. Thanks for the correction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
ekster wrote:
rookenoble wrote:

Board games are great for keeping your mind sharp when you retire!

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to the discussion of whether Robb should back the KDR+7th Continent game, here's my response:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls