Subject: A Couple of Rule clarifications and home rule suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Silverman
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just have a couple of rule clarifications and a fun suggestion for players.

First, can a player initiate multiple conflicts during the same conflict phase?

Secondly, can a player remove multiple cards from the same country to affect another player's influence points? (i.e. can Fascism remove both military influence cards from China so it becomes worth a 2 instead of 4 at the same time? Or can it only remove 1 card at once. AND if it removes both cards so that there are no cards left in the military influence side does the country become neutral again?)

A home rule that has proven to be fun is to assist the Islamic Fundamentalism player by reducing Iran to 2 and include Saudi Arabia as a 2 point starting value so the player can immediately receive 4 cards as opposed to 3 cards. This can have short term benefits that can be parlayed into a victory or can lead to a devastating defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A Couple of Rule clarifications and home rule suggestion
Hi, Aaron.

It was nice meeting you and Perry at the Origins convention this past weekend. Answers to your questions are included below:

TheManOfSilver wrote:
I just have a couple of rule clarifications and a fun suggestion for players.

First, can a player initiate multiple conflicts during the same conflict phase?

Yes. After the first conflict has concluded, the player must allow every other player the chance to initiate a conflict or pass. Then, when the action returns to the first player, he or she may initiate another conflict (but must pay the distance and/or Advancement penalties again, even to begin a new conflict at the same region).

Secondly, can a player remove multiple cards from the same country to affect another player's influence points? (i.e. can Fascism remove both military influence cards from China so it becomes worth a 2 instead of 4 at the same time? Or can it only remove 1 card at once. AND if it removes both cards so that there are no cards left in the military influence side does the country become neutral again?)

Good questions. I will break this up into two answers:

1) Yes, a player can remove as much of his influence as he wants from any Independent or Opposing Regions during the same Foreign Phase. However, each removal of an influence card is a separate action, so you should only remove one at a time in between the actions of other players during that phase.

2) As mentioned in the rules, once a player gains control of a region, it remains under his control for as long as he maintains a majority of influence there, even if it dips below its starting level.

Be sure to check out the official FAQ page at http://www.zmangames.com/Ideology/faq.html , which covers many similar technical issues as well.

A home rule that has proven to be fun is to assist the Islamic Fundamentalism player by reducing Iran to 2 and include Saudi Arabia as a 2 point starting value so the player can immediately receive 4 cards as opposed to 3 cards. This can have short term benefits that can be parlayed into a victory or can lead to a devastating defeat.

That's a great suggestion. In fact, someone else at Origins was suggesting starting off Iran as a 2 and allowing the player to start with Indonesia as well, to cover ground in another part of the world. This means the Islamic Fundamentalist player would still only start with a Global Influence of 3 (since Indonesia has a Global Influence of 1). But now the player would be adjacent to 7 regions instead of 5, a nice boost for this player.

Please try both variants (i.e., starting off with Iran as a Global Influence of 2 and adding either Saudi Arabia or Indonesia). I'd be interested to hear how it goes! :-)

Thanks for the article, Aaron!

Andrew Parks
Ideology Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
Andrew,

I was going to send these questions directly to you but I figured other people may be curious as well. SO, after playing again I have amassed these questions with the help of my playing parters.

1. Does war need to be declared during the diplomacy phase a turn prior to the actual conflict phase?

2. Can Capitalists not challenge a Level 1 country without a war being declared? (based on the capitalists "benefits" as listed on its card)

3. Is Fascist Intolerance negated by Propoganda?

4. Can home countries subject to attack and possible neutrality?

5. If influence is placed during the foreign phase can it then be withdrawn duing the conflict phase? Or can it only be withdrawn during the foreign phase?

6. Can an ideology acquire a country and then immediately use it during conflict to launch a WMD?

Also, it was brought to my attention that the Jihad ability is the only "bonus" that costs a card to attack. What if it was made to be a free move? "Terrorist" attacks used with the Jihad move would encourage other players to declare war to end the attacks. There could be a on how often they could be used, such as 1 time per turn. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again, Aaron! :-)

Here are answers to your questions:

TheManOfSilver wrote:
Andrew,

I was going to send these questions directly to you but I figured other people may be curious as well. SO, after playing again I have amassed these questions with the help of my playing parters.

1. Does war need to be declared during the diplomacy phase a turn prior to the actual conflict phase?

Yes, this is the main function of the Diplomacy phase. In other words, your opponents have a chance to prepare for war after you declare war against them. Otherwise, the Diplomacy phase would have no practical game function.

2. Can Capitalists not challenge a Level 1 country without a war being declared? (based on the capitalists "benefits" as listed on its card)

Capitalists (like all players) cannot initiate a Military Conflict unless they are at war with the appropriate Ideology. They can of course "challenge" any Region by initiating either a Cultural or Economic Conflict as normal.

The nature of Isolationism is that you cannot declare war and therefore cannot initiate any Military Conflicts until someone declares war against you. Even after someone declares war against you, you suffer a penalty to initiate a Military Conflict against a Level 2 or higher Region.

3. Is Fascist Intolerance negated by Propoganda?

No, Intolerance is a completely separate penalty. If the Fascist player needs to extend influence during the Foreign Phase, he must pay this penalty. Propaganda DOES remove the distance penalty, as normal. So basically, without Propaganda, the Fascist player must pay both a distance penalty (if the region is not adjacent to him) AND his Intolerance penalty during the Foreign Phase. Keep in mind that Intolerance does not penalize the Fascist player during the Conflict Phase.

4. Can home countries subject to attack and possible neutrality?

Starting Regions are subject to the same rules, including conflicts, as all other controlled regions. In fact, the Origins 2004 Ideology Tournament was won by someone who conquered Russia, something I had never seen done before! :-)

5. If influence is placed during the foreign phase can it then be withdrawn duing the conflict phase? Or can it only be withdrawn during the foreign phase?

No. You can only remove influence during the Foreign Phase. Once the Conflict Phase begins, you must wait until the next Foreign Phase to remove your influence. Otherwise, the game would go on forever. ;-)

6. Can an ideology acquire a country and then immediately use it during conflict to launch a WMD?

No. You do not actually gain control of a Region until the Assessment Phase, which is after the Conflict Phase when the WMD would need to be fired. Also, remember that you need to be at war with an Ideology in order to use a WMD against its influence cards.

Also, it was brought to my attention that the Jihad ability is the only "bonus" that costs a card to attack. What if it was made to be a free move? "Terrorist" attacks used with the Jihad move would encourage other players to declare war to end the attacks. There could be a on how often they could be used, such as 1 time per turn. Just a thought.

First of all, let me be patently clear that the words "terrorist" and "terrorism" are not used in Ideology: The War of Ideas, whether in reference to Jihad or any other part of the game. Most Islamic Fundamentalist nations absolutely condemn terrorism.

Regarding the game, we found during playtesting that the Jihad ability to declare war during the Conflict Phase required a cost of some sort. Otherwise, each game would begin with every player declaring war against Islamic Fundamentalism since the Islamic Fundamentalist player would simply be able to declare war for free at any time.

Be sure to check out the official Ideology FAQ at www.ideologygame.com . You will find elaborate answers to many situations, including some discussed above.

Thanks! :-)

Andrew Parks
Ideology Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
Andrew,

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean terrorist attacks, it was just a bad choice of words. Clearly many ideologies have involved themselves in what is defined as terrorism over the years. I was merely referring to an act of agression or act of war without prior declaration.

After reading your response it does make more sense why there would be a cost for the Jihad move to be made. Thanks for the rule clarifications- I'll take them back to my group and I look forward to reading and posting more session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No apology is necessary, Aaron. I knew that eventually I would need to clarify the conceptual implications of Jihad when I chose Islamic Fundamentalism as one of the 5 Ideologies in the game.

Regarding your game sessions, I definitely look forward to seeing more! :-)

Andrew Parks
Ideology Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there something about this game that appeals to Aaron Silvermans? laugh

I just got it and haven't tried it yet, but it looks really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to try a 5-player game this weekend. I really enjoyed it, although a couple of the other players (for whom this is at the upper end of the complexity scale) were less enthralled. The Islamic Fundamentalist player did just fine with the rules as written. I don't think he ever made a jihad, though.

Kudos on the super-tight rules. The sequence of play is tricky, but the only question we needed to check the FAQ for was what happens when a player's deck and discard pile run out. The FAQ had a nice explanation of that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game, Aaron! Be sure to check out the new Strategy Guide we just posted at the website, too. It is filled with different strategies that have been developed both before and after the release of Ideology.

Now I just need to come up with a way to keep both Aaron Silverman's separate in my mind.

Andrew Parks
Ideology Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horsepool
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheManOfSilver wrote:

Does the Islamic Fundamentalism really need any extra boosts? We played 2 games last night, and he won both of them. That Jyhad ability is crazy powerful. I was set for a win. Declaired peace with him. fallowed by a "1. 2. 3. 4. I declar a holy war!" and then a nuke hit me... I be thinking they are fully capable of kicking ass on thier own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mike.

I also enjoy playing Islamic Fundamentalism, and like to make good use of the Jihad ability. The strategy is often harder for newer players, though, since Islamic Fundamentalism starts off going last and has a pretty steep penalty with Radical Fundamentalism.

I'm really excited to hear that your group has done well with that Ideology. I hope you guys get a chance to come to one of our tournaments at the big conventions this summer!

Andrew

---------------------

Andrew Parks
Ideology Designer
Z-Man Games, Inc.
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.