Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok I have most of WYG games.

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.
I hear maderia is the best of the bunch.
what game is this similar too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

You should be capable of figuring out if this is up your street. Asking everyone else to make the decision for you is just lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
What's Your Game?
badge
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers are nice guys...
at least one...
do it... for Paulo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok is this game like Puerto Rico?
Sorry I am lazy. Help me finish the wyg collection.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Madeira 3p Play-through, Teaching, & Roundtable discussion by Heavy Cardboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApJyhTIXak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate these threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:
Ok is this game like Puerto Rico?
No

Summy76 wrote:
Sorry I am lazy. Help me finish the wyg collection.devil
You are not lazy... enough. You are spending energy needlessly. Just buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like these threads. I trying make more buzz for Madeira. Kick tapsetry off the top spot.

Thanks for the video but it bit long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:
I like these threads. I trying make more buzz for Madeira. Kick tapsetry off the top spot.

Valiant cause. Unfortunately a game of that weight will have much broader appeal, even amongst gamers.

No interest in it at all personally.

Madeira, that’s right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

You do know you don't have to watch it all, right? (But once you start it, you will want to finish it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

I dunno man, if you find that video to much for you, or you aren't able to parse the necessary information out of it, then maybe Madeira isn't your speed. It's quite heavy, and you're going to need a very good attention span to play it.

Not sure, maybe find something else more suited for you is my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Costanza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread reminds me of countless posts in the BGG FB group. They go something like this:

Hey everyone, just pick up this game:

Insert pic here of a game near the top of the hotness.

Is it any good?

200+ comments with at least 5 people mentioning Gloomhaven regardless of the topic.

The only post more common than this is the request for recommendations for "good 2 player games".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiroooo
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.
Its similar to Gloomhaven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira has a board, and so does Monopoly. Also, they both begin with M. Coincidence? I think not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that Bacon should fit into this thread somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was extremely excited for this KS but the price is VERY expensive. All in shipping to canada is about $150+ after conversion. I was hoping it was going to be cheaper. Ill likely have to sit this one out and grab somebodys used first edition. Its a really good game.

You can also play it on boardgamearena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.

Madeira is heavier than all these titles you mentioned. I like heavy games and am often very good at them but I struggled with Madeira more than anything else I've played. I feel so restricted every time I play it. I'd much prefer to play games like ZhanGuo or Agra over it. Agra is so under rated and underappreciated. Have you played it? It is quite reasonably priced presently. One of the best heavy Euros I've played and I have played many. It is one of the few/only Euros I would almost go as far as to call a sandbox given the myriad of ways you can path to outcomes. You'd still see new things after 20+ plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sceptic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still contemplating between Madeira and Maracaibo. A thing about heavy game, I prefer if it has solo mode as it may not hit the table too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Summy76 wrote:

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.

Madeira is heavier than all these titles you mentioned. I like heavy games and am often very good at them but I struggled with Madeira more than anything else I've played. I feel so restricted every time I play it. I'd much prefer to play games like ZhanGuo or Agra over it. Agra is so under rated and underappreciated. Have you played it? It is quite reasonably priced presently. One of the best heavy Euros I've played and I have played many. It is one of the few/only Euros I would almost go as far as to call a sandbox given the myriad of ways you can path to outcomes. You'd still see new things after 20+ plays...

I've had Agra sitting on my shelf unplayed way too long, this post has inspired me to get it to the table in October. Thanks.

I love the depth of Madeira. I've only played it four times, but I feel like I've done something different every time. One of my friends keeps saying that he thinks Viticulture is heavier than Madeira, and I'm baffled everytime he says that. You just have to do so many things well in Madeira to win, of course I put more thought into the game of Madeira we played on Sunday than I have in the previous three and ended up winning by 25 points (and beat said friend by 28).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedEyedGhost wrote:
philtrees wrote:
Summy76 wrote:

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.

I've had Agra sitting on my shelf unplayed way too long, this post has inspired me to get it to the table in October. Thanks.

I love the depth of Madeira. I've only played it four times, but I feel like I've done something different every time. One of my friends keeps saying that he thinks Viticulture is heavier than Madeira, and I'm baffled everytime he says that. You just have to do so many things well in Madeira to win, of course I put more thought into the game of Madeira we played on Sunday than I have in the previous three and ended up winning by 25 points (and beat said friend by 28).

You friend is smoking their lunch Viticulture is all about getting a Cottage and lucking into the right cards... I am playing Agra tomorrow too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlms wrote:
Still contemplating between Madeira and Maracaibo. A thing about heavy game, I prefer if it has solo mode as it may not hit the table too often.

I've had Madeira since it was published, and played it 4 or 5 times. My advice is get Maracaibo. Madeira is a good game, but it's very heavy and somewhat non-intuitive and tedious to teach. Great Western Trail by Alexander Pfister is so much easier to get to the table, and I expect his Maracaibo to be much easier to get to the table than Madeira.

I really would have preferred to see Brasil instead of a Madeira expansion/collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
samlms wrote:

I've had Madeira since it was published, and played it 4 or 5 times. My advice is get Maracaibo. Madeira is a good game, but it's very heavy and somewhat non-intuitive and tedious to teach. Great Western Trail by Alexander Pfister is so much easier to get to the table, and I expect his Maracaibo to be much easier to get to the table than Madeira.

I really would have preferred to see Brasil instead of a Madeira expansion/collector's edition.

Here here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Habelitz
Germany
Zweibrücken
Reinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlms wrote:
Well I think Maracaibo will be the easier game - without any insight to Maracaibo I would expect Madeira to be not only the heavier, but the better game...

It's in my top 10 of all time:
#1: Antiquity
#2: Food Chain Magnate
#3: Arkwright
#4: The Gallerist
#5: Lisboa
#6: Solarius Mission
#7: Vinhos Deluxe Edition
#8: Madeira
#9: Pax Renaissance
#10: Brass: Birmingham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias19281 wrote:
samlms wrote:
Well I think Maracaibo will be the easier game - without any insight to Maracaibo I would expect Madeira to be not only the heavier, but the better game...

It's in my top 10 of all time:
#1: Antiquity
#2: Food Chain Magnate
#3: Arkwright
#4: The Gallerist
#5: Lisboa
#6: Solarius Mission
#7: Vinhos Deluxe Edition
#8: Madeira
#9: Pax Renaissance
#10: Brass: Birmingham

Pretty good top 10 there mate... Surprised it beat out Pax Ren and Brass Birmingham... Looking at your ratings we share a lot of similarities in game taste. Added you as a geekbuddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
philtrees wrote:
Summy76 wrote:

Nippon is good
Signorie is ok
Zhanguo Very good.

Arga I play it, very nice game. The theme is very strong. much stronger than Madeira. Madeira again look so generic even for a gamer gamer like me. Yes Agra is very underrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |