Madeira» Forums » General

Subject: Give me a reason to back this. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So back same question what games is this game similar too. Example grand Austria hotel and Marco polo same feel mechanical. So what game maderia l can compare too.

Alexander phisher new game mechanics looks aame? To this .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedEyedGhost wrote:
One of my friends keeps saying that he thinks Viticulture is heavier than Madeira, and I'm baffled everytime he says that.

"Heavier" means different things to different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezoj R
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Here's my TLR for you: try it before you buy it.
- try it on boardgamearena.com;
- try it with a local game group, or with a local gamer who has it; or
- watch JustPlay on Youtube at 1.5x speed.

Just some thoughts. From your gaming collection, I would say this game might be right up your alley. You like Bora Bora (arguably the most complex Feld), Gallerist (even though your SO didn't like it) and Mombasa. To me, Nuno and Paulo are more similar to Pfister and Lacerda in that these designers know how to put together a variety of interconnected mechanisms that create interesting choices from both a strategic and a tactical standpoint.

If Madeira is explained to you well, you shouldn't find the game too heavy since you're already used to complex games (and not going into the game after Ticket to Ride or Splendor).

For me the hardest parts at the beginning of learning and playing Madeira were:
- how do I plan for enough wood to get those people from the bottom left and have enough for creating and maintaining boats on the board?
- how do I plan to have enough food for my workers on the board (and when do I use the windmill)?
- how do I mitigate pirate tokens and plan to have less than my opponents by the end?
- how do I use the pirate dice to make life more expensive for others and not screw myself with the pirate die?

The one huge downside for me (and I think I read Vital's comment about the game that brought this to my attention) was the randomness of where each character would be for the next round. Then after a house rule to have a more predictable movement of the characters (i.e. when the harvesting field opens up clockwise, the characters rotate counter-clockwise to keep the relative positions) reduced the "luck factor" the game just shined for me. This was my similar gripe with Signorie (yes, I'm wimpy with luck factors) which I was sad to trade away. And, yes, I do play both of these games on boardgamearena.com with the luck factors in play and I still enjoy them. I just don't win in them as often ;p

For me, this is one of my favourite dice drafting games. It will melt your brain, but to me that's a sign of a great game. So if you like brain burning games and lots of interconnected mechanisms, this is worth a try (or even a blind buy?).

Thanks for bringing some more exposure to this game through this thread. I hope more gamers get a chance to explore this heavier side of gaming that's not all about the bling and the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikaidurr
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:
So back same question what games is this game similar too. Example grand Austria hotel and Marco polo same feel mechanical. So what game maderia l can compare too.

Its like Simone Luciani and Alexander Pfister teamed up to make Concordia 3.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
NO QUEDAN PINGÜINOZ
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
No.

You should be capable of figuring out if this is up your street. Asking everyone else to make the decision for you is just lazy.

Nothing wrong in asking for personal views or experiences.
From time to time there's a game I have never heard of, and even auditing every single piece of info I find about it, I am still on the fence, so real people comments on their personal impressions are valuable. Sometimes it is that single personal anecdote or passionate defense that drives me to purchase it or to shy away.
I had never heard about Madeira, but from what I've seen so far I'm going to pass, as I have several still unplayed "apparently complex yet maybe only deep euros" like Feudum, John Company, City of the Big Shoulders, The Gallerist, and shortly On Mars. Madeira's theme and released images do not attract me immediately, whereas Maracaibo and Pandemain did from the very beginning. Not to mention upcoming HF4 which I've been waiting seemingly for ages...

TLDR, these threads are useful (I hadn't heard about Agra, for example, nor did I know Maracaibo is from GWT's designer, and some of my friends speak very well of GWT). Of course *I* will take the final decision, but these threads provide more granular info on a somewhat heuristic level that reviews, images, and KS pages do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
Summy76 wrote:

Its like Simone Luciani and Alexander Pfister teamed up to make Concordia 3.0
Did l miss Concordia 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:
Did l miss Concordia 2.0?

Some would say Transatlantic, but I've never played that so I don't know. (I lost all interest in Transatlantic when the map was dropped. Imagine playing Navegador where the plantations and sea zones are just on cards, instead of that beautiful map. Yeah, not for me. Presentation matters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summy76 wrote:

I've played a bunch of heavy games and none have felt like Madeira... As I have already said try it before you buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a practical reason: the deluxe version will not be made available retail. If you don't like it, there's a good chance you could sell it for what you paid or more.

As to gameplay, I watched the Finbar video playthrough and it confirmed I want the game. I mean, I'd played it once several years ago but needed a refresher. With the wealth of playthrough videos available today, putting in the time to watch at least part of one is the best way to get a sense if a game is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShoegazeSamurai wrote:
Madeira is a top 10 game for me, and I generally recommend it to anyone outside of Mainstream 2.0 circles. It's good. You buy. You like.

That said, I wish I was a bit more enthralled with this KS campaign myself. Mostly what it's done is make me realize how content I am with my 1e copy. Surprising, given how long I anxiously waited and drooled for launch day.
That's a great realization to have; run with that. We all need to pick our spots as to what to acquire (esp KS) or not. Sounds like you don't need to reinvest in something just to break even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShoegazeSamurai wrote:
Every time I pull up that damn page it's $100+ and I just can't help but wonder what in the hell has happened over the last 5 years to make that the norm. That's rhetorical, of course. But maybe some of you can appreciate that.

I'm confused. If you're happy with your 1e game then you can get the expansion, which is all that you need, for just $32.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you the only reason you'll need to have.... Madeira is a great game, not just a good game. A classic in my mind. Better than so many others that are more recognized. In a way this game has flew under the radar due to word-of-mouth that the game is intimidatingly heavy when it's really not that bad at all if you're experienced with medium weight games. This game is a half step up from that imo. Playing the game is not hard at all. Playing the game well is...well not hard either, once you know the basics and can plan ahead at least a couple moves. I love the game..its always fun and the new expansion takes it to a new level.

If you want a more practical reason, the game is at an incredible price point if you factor in the stretch goals. Almost a hundred metal coins if we hit all the stretch goals. Even if you don't like the game you'll be able to resell it for a much more I would figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShoegazeSamurai wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShoegazeSamurai wrote:
Every time I pull up that damn page it's $100+ and I just can't help but wonder what in the hell has happened over the last 5 years to make that the norm. That's rhetorical, of course. But maybe some of you can appreciate that.

I'm confused. If you're happy with your 1e game then you can get the expansion, which is all that you need, for just $32.

I'm not in the market for modular expansions, but I do appreciate the suggestion. Cheers. meeple
Instead you're in the market for a game you already have?

Pete (is confused)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I'll tell you the only reason you'll need to have.... Madeira is a great game, not just a good game. A classic in my mind. Better than so many others that are more recognized. In a way this game has flew under the radar due to word-of-mouth that the game is intimidatingly heavy when it's really not that bad at all if you're experienced with medium weight games. This game is a half step up from that imo. Playing the game is not hard at all. Playing the game well is...well not hard either, once you know the basics and can plan ahead at least a couple moves. I love the game..its always fun and the new expansion takes it to a new level.

If you want a more practical reason, the game is at an incredible price point if you factor in the stretch goals. Almost a hundred metal coins if we hit all the stretch goals. Even if you don't like the game you'll be able to resell it for a much more I would figure.

Not sure the expansions are all that necessary to be honest. I had the Nobles one and it did very little for the game back when I owned it. I've moved to the position that if it didn't make the original game then it didn't make the cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Zuk

Guelph
Ontario
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm calling Wheaton's Law on Matt's first comment.
Edit: to specify which comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junglepat wrote:

I'm calling Wheaton's Law on you. See how that works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
junglepat wrote:

I'm calling Wheaton's Law on you. See how that works?

Is this like “I am rubber and you are glue...?”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Transatlantic was disappointing. I am OK with the lack of map, but the unclear rules, murky artwork, and some inelegance in the scoring and card management killed it for me.

TBH Madeira's map is purely abstract: there is no spatial element in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FiNeX
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:

[OT]

How appropriate, you fight like a cow...

Sorry I couldn't resist arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finex wrote:
johnyutah7 wrote:

[OT]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FiNeX
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
finex wrote:
johnyutah7 wrote:

[OT]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to see if I could get a summary of people's impressions of the game. Instead, I am simply reminded that I am overly sensitive to speeling and gammer errors. Fortunalety, I never make those meself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks, I think you guys talked me out of this. Some of the mechanics look interesting, love Deluxe Edition, but this sounds probably too heavy for me. I tend to prefer quicker midweight euros like Yokohama, Tzolk'in and Lorenzo. I like having a few exceptions like Brass, which I don't feel Brass is that heavy, just a brain and time investment. I have a feeling this just wouldn't hit the table. Also I don't really enjoy Lacerda game where you're tripping over yourself constantly, this sounds similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Well thanks, I think you guys talked me out of this. Some of the mechanics look interesting, love Deluxe Edition, but this sounds probably too heavy for me. I tend to prefer quicker midweight euros like Yokohama, Tzolk'in and Lorenzo. I like having a few exceptions like Brass, which I don't feel Brass is that heavy, just a brain and time investment. I have a feeling this just wouldn't hit the table. Also I don't really enjoy Lacerda game where you're tripping over yourself constantly, this sounds similar.
Well then... Achievement Unlocked. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason im not backing it os because of the price! Ill have to wait till the expansion content hits retail. Im not as concerned about getting the cosmetic stuff. Just cant afford it now unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |