Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The authors of Rococo, Matthias Cramer, Louis Malz and Stefan Malz, have joined forces with Eagle-Gryphon Games to produce Rococo Deluxe
with all new art and graphic design by Ian O'Toole. Rococo Deluxe will be coming to Kickstarter in March of 2020.

Stay tuned!

Best regards
Stefan Malz
  • [+] Dice rolls
bykk
Sweden
Kristianstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think its cool its getting reprinted but this quest to call everything deluxe and just pimp a the game a little and new art. Is something i am not in favor for but obviously it works for the board game business.

That said good luck.
P.S really find the original edition very beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this was unexpected.

Hopefully they'll include a score pad in the new version. Handing out point chits (and needing to make change) is really dumb and time-consuming.

Or better yet, they ought to make a points track around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat FR
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bykkarn wrote:
Think its cool its getting reprinted but this quest to call everything deluxe and just pimp a the game a little and new art. Is something i am not in favor for but obviously it works for the board game business.

That said good luck.

Can't hep but agree. I love what EGG, Vital Lacerda and Ian O'Toole have done but I am coming to the limit of how many hugely expensive coffin-sized boxes I am prepared to acquire and keep. Doubtless, of course, this news will be thrilling to many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
恋は前傾姿勢
mbmbmbmbmb
bykkarn wrote:
Count me as another a player not in favour of this trend—and I'll be voting with my wallet.

Quote:
That said good luck.
I do wish the designers every success—I've thoroughly enjoyed every play I've had of Rococo—but I wish they would find it elsewhere than Kickstarter.

Quote:
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Olsen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that this great game is getting the deluxe treatment from EGG!

For those who don’t want a deluxe version, the good news is there will likely be a bunch of OG non-deluxe versions hitting the market once the KS starts fulfilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevinsky wrote:
Love that this great game is getting the deluxe treatment from EGG!

For those who don’t want a deluxe version, the good news is there will likely be a bunch of OG non-deluxe versions hitting the market once the KS starts fulfilling.

Yup, those prices should shoot back down soon.

I am curious if they will revisit the decoration and fountain scoring. It may just be me, but I often found those to be very expensive for very little gain.

Either way, I'm picking up the Deluxe Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis Guerra
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you (may) see in the ad on top of this tread, the current Rococo price is absurdly inflated. Hopefully the deluxe version will decrease the price of those original versions, so that you can buy the old version for a reasonable price.

In regards to the deluxe version, it would be difficult for EGG to change strategies.

On Mars made near 1 million dollars
Struggle of Empires near 150000
Age of Steam 275000
Escape Plan 650000

All of them are deluxe versions...

Vote with your wallet. Thousands of others have voted approving the deluxe versions, and it would be unwise for us to expect the company not to follow the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
(...) with all new art and graphic design by Ian O'Toole.
So, you are calling it "deluxe" while downgrading the art?! Nothing against Ian O'Toole, but replacing Michael Menzel is a huge bummer. thumbsdownthumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very curious about this. I do love the art fo the original, it's one of the most gorgeous games I own, so Ian O'Toole has got his work cut out for him :) Regardless though, I am a big fan of both artists, I am excited to see how this one will turn out :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matfr wrote:
bykkarn wrote:

That said good luck.

Can't hep but agree. I love what EGG, Vital Lacerda and Ian O'Toole have done but I am coming to the limit of how many hugely expensive coffin-sized boxes I am prepared to acquire and keep. Doubtless, of course, this news will be thrilling to many.

Also can't hep but agree. With prices inflating, especially at retail, i find myself yearning for slightly plainer productions for more reasonable prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Ireland
Sligo
Sligo
flag msg tools
Changed the outfit.
badge
Hope you didn't get too confused!
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
malzspiele wrote:
So, you are calling it "deluxe" while downgrading the art?! Nothing against Ian O'Toole, but replacing Michael Menzel is a huge bummer. thumbsdownthumbsdown

Harsch! "I like Ian O'Toole, but..."

It's a new publisher so naturally they have to replace the artwork. That's the least surprising part of this news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grim Squeaker
msg tools
I would’ve been happier just for a reprint of the Jewelry Box expansion. I’m guessing it will be included in the “deluxe” game, and hope it will be (a) available separately for purchase, and (b) compatible with the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim_Squeaker wrote:
... (a) available separately for purchase, and (b) compatible with the first edition.

With new art etc, that seems incredibly unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope the new edition is not packaged in the traditional EGG coffin box, but that's unlikely given the trend.

I'm out out shelf space & own the original, so this is likely a pass.

Good news that it'll be available for purchase at a reasonable price given that it's currently OOP. I've owned it for years and just started playing it recently & think it's fantastic -- highly recommended!

The only think I can think of improving art-wise is making some of the rooms more distinguishable (especially the row with 2 separate rooms). Other than that, the original artwork and iconography is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Astin
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost bought this many times, so glad I haven't as EGG and Ian O'Toole have been a fantastic match in the past.

100% backing this one!

I am however running out of older games that I want to catch up on, probably a good thing though 😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
malzspiele wrote:

This is my concern- O'Toole's art seems very... simplistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sound you hear is everyone running to the marketplace to sell all of their original copies. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
That sound you hear is everyone running to the marketplace to sell all of their original copies. laugh

Not me... I might BUY an OG copy... my cards are showing wear... but even if I get the Deluxe, I love Menzel's art and won't be selling my original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Menzel is board game royalty in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Menzel is board game royalty in my book.

Agreed! He's one of the two artists that I want every game I see... I have to look closely to make sure it's something I would play as well. (The other one is Agnieszka Dabrowiecka)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
Ouuu...my eye...Whatever you seek, you shan’t find it by pawing me!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, wasn't asking for a deluxe edition - since I don't own the game, might as well get this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The point of wanting a reprint is so Rococo becomes more affordable and accessible. Having a deluxified EGG edition does neither, since invariably it’ll probably trend $80+ if it goes KS (which is only slightly less than what it was going for when OOP) and $120+ retail, then there is the fact that most merchants won’t be carrying it. I’m holding out hope for a more reasonable pricing but it’s doubtful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Amazingly good news. Autobacker here. I think this is a perfect candidate for the deluxe treatment, Rococo is all about extravagance and luxury, more is more for the grand ball!. I can't wait to see what EGG comes up with to improve the original printing which was very pretty for it's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art is such a subjective thing, I really see a divide happening now with this game. You'll have some people screaming that they ruined the game by changing artists and others that just don't care. Nothing against O'toole, he is a great artist, but he will really have to knock it out of the park to win over a lot of the people and not have this turn into another Colosseum like situation.

I don't know anything about the situation, but when you have a game that is lauded for it's fantastic art. Why would you change it? I would assume it would be cheaper to acquire a license for the existing art that has already been created than to commission completely new art for a project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |