Subject: Number of Rests per quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Azzolino
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello all.

So I just started a campaign with my roommates yesterday and we sorted through most of the rules in a few hours.

However, one thing we all got hung up on was how many rests you get. When you take the action, you are to discard a hero token. Does this mean you are only allowed 4 rests per quests? The only time I see where it says to refill these is for quest setup.

Another thing was it was unclear what happens when all here's are knocked out. Does the overlord win or is it basically a turn loss for all the heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
In some quests the winning condition for Overlord is awarded victory when all heroes are knocked out.
So I would suggest to look into the victory condition.
If it is not mentioned then it is not a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorox3 wrote:
Hello all.

So I just started a campaign with my roommates yesterday and we sorted through most of the rules in a few hours.

However, one thing we all got hung up on was how many rests you get. When you take the action, you are to discard a hero token. Does this mean you are only allowed 4 rests per quests? The only time I see where it says to refill these is for quest setup.

The hero token is placed on the hero sheet as a reminder to remove fatigue at end of turn. The token is discarded from the hero sheet at the end of turn, but is not "used up" as a cost. It's just a reminder. There is not a limit to the number of rest actions taken per encounter.

Vorox3 wrote:
Another thing was it was unclear what happens when all here's are knocked out. Does the overlord win or is it basically a turn loss for all the heroes?

Unless the victory conditions specify OL wins by KOing the heroes, it does not result in victory. It results in lost actions/turns used standing up or reviving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No limits from what I have read. Maybe some scenario mentions it but have not seen that either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
Vorox3 wrote:
Hello all.

The hero token is placed on the hero sheet as a reminder to remove fatigue at end of turn. The token is discarded from the hero sheet at the end of turn, but is not "used up" as a cost. It's just a reminder. There is not a limit to the number of rest actions taken per encounter.
This is correct. There's no limit on the number of rest actions you can take.

However, there is a practical limit. It varies by quest, but as a rule of thumb - if you're resting more than once per room, you're probably using up too many actions and letting the Overlord get ahead towards his goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like you may have an old rulebook cause I have no recollection of them telling you to go through the process of putting your token on your character sheet. Even in the RtL rulebook (the beginning is a general rulebook) it just says "as a rest action you can recover all your stamina at the end of your turn"

I feel like the rulebook wanted to really make sure people understood that you can use Rest as your first or second action (hence the reminder) but outside of a few edge cases you could always take the Rest action as your second action and immediately remove the fatigue tokens. Honestly, I've never even played with the hero tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lightningclaw Stormcaller
msg tools
mb
They might be referring to the hero activation cards, since those are flipped at the end of a hero’s turn.*

*Disclaimer: No one I know actually flips them

Edit: I never bother handing out hero tokens unless a plot deck is in play (for tracking threat gathered from KOs) or a quest uses them somehow.
If somebody dies we just grab a random hero token to signify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the rulebook, bottom of page 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

all lies, you may only rest once per encounter and then admit defeat and move on to the next encounter or quest.

Trust me on this...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:

all lies, you may only rest once per encounter and then admit defeat and move on to the next encounter or quest.

Trust me on this...whistle
Pretty sure this is correct, when I'm the overlord anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rest action just means you recover your fatigue at the end of the turn. Why anyone would need to pull out a hero token as a reminder for something that happens at the end of THAT turn is beyond me. Seems pretty silly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
M Cotton wrote:
A rest action just means you recover your fatigue at the end of the turn. Why anyone would need to pull out a hero token as a reminder for something that happens at the end of THAT turn is beyond me. Seems pretty silly
It’s in the rulebook. But if you know someone who actually does it, let me know.
I mean, it’s possible you might be a bit forgetful and it helps. But I personally have never seen anyone do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I and my friend would do it when one person plays four heroes against a human overlord it helps to remember who has already acted.

That was the purpose.

Descent first edition had counters with an X on one side and an O on the other that you flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
solitear wrote:
I and my friend would do it when one person plays four heroes against a human overlord it helps to remember who has already acted.

That was the purpose.

Descent first edition had counters with an X on one side and an O on the other that you flipped.
That’s a great point. I hadn’t thought of that. Most of my OL experience if with 5 people. I’ve done two people in the app though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
solitear wrote:
That was the purpose.

The purpose of the hero token on the Summary card is only for tracking if the hero used a Rest action during his turn (not to track if he acted).

The component used to track which heroes acted is the Summary card itself. Those cards have a Hero Turn summary side and a Overlord Turn summary side. When a hero has finished her turn, she should flip the card to the Overlord side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls