Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPETITION CANCELLED
After receiving a lot of feedback in this forum and on other places where people are concerned for it being bad practice and unfair to any artists who may choose to participate, we have decided to cancel the competition effective immediately. No submissions had been entered at the time this is written.

To have a competition was a decision we took based on feedback.
To cancel it is also a decision we have taken based on feedback.
We truly want to be attentive to feedback from the community. At the same time it is important to not change for any whim. But in this case we think the focus will be drawn too much away from the game due to the feedback on the competition.
Instead we will now commission the covers from an illustrator as we normally do. (New illustrations, focusing on scientific accuracy, not using the one that has been critiqued for its unscientifficness).
In a game project the game itself is the real boss, as we see it. A boss that can't speak. So we as a team have to look out for its best interests and interpret what is best for it. For High Frontier our interpretation is that cancelling is the best in this situation.

Hoping that the covers will end up being to everyone’s liking.
Jon, Phil and Besime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: High Frontier 4 All - Cover Illustration Competition 2019
PAY YOUR ARTISTS
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay your artists and stop doing this garbage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Francisco Baroni Coutinho
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend you pick an artist before hand and pay them appropriately for the job. Doing illustration for games is work; cant even fathom investing 40+ hours of my time and not being "picked" at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thompson
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is gross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
PAY YOUR ARTISTS

Hey, they're offering a whole hundred FREEDOM DOLLARS or a "free" game! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, this is a bad look.

Art is work. It deserves to be compensated. Such a shame you've decided to go this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
PAY YOUR ARTISTS

Isaac,
We do pay our artists. I consider game design an art, I come from a family of painters, authors ant textile artists. As such I agree that it is very important to acknowledge the importance of art and skill among artists through money. This applies when we hire or contract someone for a specific task. Then it is work done with them being part of a team and where the ideas are iterated through a work process.

The competition here is different. This is competition geared towards High Frontier enthusiasts where the goal is to give them a chance to participate where it really shows. The submissions are sent in as is, without iteration. Open competitions like this are not an unusual thing and the rewards are normally substantially lower than if you are a contracted professional.

This competition is also something Phil wanted to have, and since he is the lead designer and visionary of High Frontier we are happy to make it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hammer
United States
Durham
NC
flag msg tools
GLORBUS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
ender7 wrote:
PAY YOUR ARTISTS

Hey, they're offering a whole hundred FREEDOM DOLLARS or a "free" game! shake

You forgot to mention all the exposure they'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cheeko8080 wrote:

Clint,
As I mentioned in my earlier post we pay our artists and this is something I feel strongly about, like you.
I do however think giving amateur enthusiasts a chance is not garbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thompson
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandmasterChi wrote:
cheeko8080 wrote:

Clint,
As I mentioned in my earlier post we pay our artists and this is something I feel strongly about, like you.
I do however think giving amateur enthusiasts a chance is not garbage

So you expect amateur level artwork and not professional work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Low wage for artists in the game/video game industry is an ongoing, serious problem for us, especially freelancers or "amateur enthusiasts" as you mentioned. I strongly think you should review your strategy and remove this thread, otherwise this will bring bad press, guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Neurasth wrote:
I would recommend you pick an artist before hand and pay them appropriately for the job. Doing illustration for games is work; cant even fathom investing 40+ hours of my time and not being "picked" at the end.

Mathieu,

This is a competition for enthusiasts, inspired by wishes from them and something Phil wanted. It is in the spirit of opening High Frontier to the ambitious crowd of dedicated players that love the game. The pay is more or less symbolic.
Participation is completely voluntary.
I see what you are saying in working on something not knowing if you will be picked. I do know however, from my experience from digital game production, that modding and submitting into a community may be a potential way into the business if you are new to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thompson
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandmasterChi wrote:
Neurasth wrote:

Mathieu,

This is a competition for enthusiasts, inspired by wishes from them and something Phil wanted. It is in the spirit of opening High Frontier to the ambitious crowd of dedicated players that love the game. The pay is more or less symbolic.
Participation is completely voluntary.
I see what you are saying in working on something not knowing if you will be picked. I do know however, from my experience from digital game production, that modding and submitting into a community may be a potential way into the business if you are new to it.

Seems like a lot of words to say "for the exposure"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Neurasth wrote:
Low wage for artists in the game/video game industry is an ongoing, serious problem for us, especially freelancers or "amateur enthusiasts" as you mentioned. I strongly think you should review your strategy and remove this thread, otherwise this will bring bad press, guaranteed.

Thank you for your concern. If it really blows up we may have to rethink, but it is a fruit of suggestions from such enthusiasts. I am not sure everyone sees it as something bad.
And as I have written earlier here, and I really want to stress this, I am all for decent pay when someone is contracted for a job. Especially art work which is underpaid generally in society today I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vujnovic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God, my exposure bucks are running low currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am willing to accept a free copy of High Frontier 4 in exchange for providing Ion Games with exposure.

I will prominently display it on my shelf so that the amateur-art cover can be easily seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered doing a similar contest for your first play through video of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandmasterChi wrote:
ender7 wrote:
PAY YOUR ARTISTS

Isaac,
We do pay our artists. I consider game design an art, I come from a family of painters, authors ant textile artists. As such I agree that it is very important to acknowledge the importance of art and skill among artists through money. This applies when we hire or contract someone for a specific task. Then it is work done with them being part of a team and where the ideas are iterated through a work process.

The competition here is different. This is competition geared towards High Frontier enthusiasts where the goal is to give them a chance to participate where it really shows. The submissions are sent in as is, without iteration. Open competitions like this are not an unusual thing and the rewards are normally substantially lower than if you are a contracted professional.

This competition is also something Phil wanted to have, and since he is the lead designer and visionary of High Frontier we are happy to make it happen.

You're intending to use the outcome of the contest in a commercial product while paying a cut rate to the artist, and not paying at all for the works of others who are submitting. Call it what you like, I don't support this practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetri
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got a real shot at this one.

• [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ajv1785 wrote:
Thank God, my exposure bucks are running low currently.

Well, exposure is of course not interesting as a reward for a professional. But this is a competition open for all, regardless of previous experience. And mainly if you are very interested in the game.

Are you a professional illustrator? If so, send Besime a link to your portfolio. We are always interested in having contact with experienced illustrators, for future projects. Especially those who have worked with boardgame art before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vujnovic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vysetron wrote:

+100 exposure bucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vysetron wrote:

At least I think you won the prize for "First submission"!
The reward is of course exposure in this reply

But on a serious note, I don't think we mentioned exposure in our post and the reason is that this first and foremost is a competition for people who are devoted fans of the game, and to give them a change to take part.

If someone else submits they are of course very welcome to do so. It is not uncommon to find gems in unexpected constellations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Manker
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
GrandmasterChi wrote:
ender7 wrote:
PAY YOUR ARTISTS

Isaac,

You're intending to use the outcome of the contest in a commercial product while paying a cut rate to the artist, and not paying at all for the works of others who are submitting. Call it what you like, I don't support this practice.

Sorry to hear that you disapprove of this competition, but of course I respect your opinion. In competitions it is rarely or never the case that all who submits gets paid.

As I asked Andrew Vujnovic here earlier, if you are upset from being a professional illustrator with experience from (or desire to work on) boardgame projects, please send a portfolio link to Besime, it is always interesting to get to know illustrators for future projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |