Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the scenario boards, the Mordor board is unique in having all 4 activity lines - the others have 3. It is also unique in having a main activity line 13 spaces long - all others are 10 long. But the highest number is still 60, since there are 2 spaces each labeled 50, 51 & 52.

The question that occurs to me is, why not have the Mordor main line numbered normally, up to 63? Since the players have to make a longer run to finish the Mordor board, why not give them the point credit for it? Because 60 is a "rounder" number? To lull players into thinking the don't have as far to go as they do?

This is a minor point, and probably wouldn't make a difference to game play either way, but I do wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Why not number Mordor main line to 63?
Barliman (#42819),

It is probably because by the time you get to Mordor, you don't care much about the other 3 paths, you focus on the main line. Life tokens have little meaning (unless you hang around the board too long for the events that use them, or need them to defeat the 8th foe in F&F in rare circumstances). Also, by this time, take into account that the player may have Gollum and/or Gandalf the White (F&F expansion), which could (for Pippin at least) be 6 wildcard moves (6 footpaths) in one turn. For a non-expansion player, you still could have 3 footpaths plus a double-footpath or double-wild from earlier in the game for 5 footpaths. Put on the ring and call Gandalf for white-side-up for another 4 spaces. As long as the players have planned properly, Mordor is usually one of the *shortest* boards in the game.

Personally, I think the numbering is good the way it is...though you may have a point that the second of the same number should be "and a half" to be more precise. So, for instance, the 2nd #50 you could count as 50.5, and that would be accurate. Each space should not be worth a full point in Mordor because it is not as difficult as moving a space on another board. Does that make sense?

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Why not number Mordor main line to 63?
Just to clarify: "For the nonexpansion player you still could have 3 footpaths plus a double-footpath" was meant that you can play Gollum (triple-wild-die-roll) and a gray double-footpath. There is a gray double-footpath in the base game, right? I'm pretty sure. I know there are a ton in the expansions!

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.