• [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness, maybe the issue is the "new" part. In new games, you're forced to think about the rules as much as if not more than the strategy/tactics.

Of course, maybe you just need a break.

Or maybe you are insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like boardgame burnout. You should take a break from boardgames, until you want to play. You also need to think about why you are burning out. You might be playing too often or playing too many games which you don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm with Ben....

I had burnout a couple years back and did not look at a boardgame for about 6 months! It's just a cycle......you will get through it and be back on track. I seem to have about a 4 year cycle of going from loving playing to downright disgusted with it. It lasts a period of time and then....back to gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are the organizer and you are avoiding the meeting?

Like jpat said, you might be burned out on new games. If it were me I would play some old faves or maybe just hang out and watch. But if you are just burned out period, I think taking a break is the thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've been playing a lot of new games and/or brain burners, maybe you could play something you're very familiar with and/or has less strategic thinking involved. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a beverage-of-your-choice & pretzels(or other dry snack) game with friends or family. Don't think too much about it, just roll the dice, socialize, and have fun. Play the heavier games when you're in the mood.

Winding down doesn't always have to be playing board games. I enjoy board games, but also PC games, or reading a book, or surfing the internet. If my brain is too burnt for Combat Commander or War of the Ring, I'll play something lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this isn't really directly related to the burning out on boardgames, but when I feel burnt out (usually programming) I deliberately choose to not do it.

When I am just avoiding something, it weighs on my mind and I don't feel any better when I get back to it. Usually I go play disc golf or exercise or something. But I think that just honestly choosing something else and not feeling guilty about it will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is the choice of games? Maybe play some lightweight games that don't require too much thought. I suggest a game like Diamant where there isn't much strategy but lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through that recently. When you've been working late for a couple weeks straight you just can't focus the way you normally can. I would suggest dextarity games and perhaps Tichu/Saint Petersburg/Lost Cities. Games where there are a limited number of choices, no math, and a comforting rythm that allows for socialization/relaxation. This is one of the few times when Power Grid and Age of Steam can be bad for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solutions:
1. Play games you know already and like
2. Play Dexterity games
3. Play Fillers
4. Play Dicefests
5. Take a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been manipulating too much ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me. I didn't log any plays from June until just last weekend. However, it happens with everything I enjoy-- it's just my personality. I'll read voraciously for a while, then not do much at all. The same goes with knitting, crocheting, sewing, writing, playing board games... everything I like to do, but have to be in the right mood to do it.

It also has something to do with the weather, I swear. I like playing board games when it's cold outside.

I agree with the previous poster-- try some lighter games (that's what I've been doing. Leonardo da Vinci? No thanks. Carcassonne. Absolutely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i know where you are coming from.

There are sessions where i would much pref to unwind and enjoy some gaming and the social aspect that can come with boardgaming.

I think a lot of it comes to down with who you are playing just as much as to what you are playing, u may to change up both sometimes. I love heavy games, but sometimes a night of light games and fillers makes for a much more enjoyable and relaxing affair.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what? I'm burned out on everything except games, because I hardly have the time to play them right now. School, work, and family are taking all but a precious few moments of my time. I'm pissed off about it, but what can I do? Education is more important than games I guess.

Sorry to steal your thread. I'm just pissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain McFadyen
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Move along
badge
Nothing to see here
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that some of the problem may be due to you being the organizer and maybe the host too. When I organize and host, a non-trivial amount of my concentration goes into thinking about who has arrived, who is late, who needs chips or beer, ordering pizza, what game should we play next, etc.

It may seem strange to those who just turn up to play, but I do believe it has an effect on my play.

Or maybe I'm just rubbish at strategy games, who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
You know what? I'm burned out on everything except games, because I hardly have the time to play them right now. School, work, and family are taking all but a precious few moments of my time. I'm pissed off about it, but what can I do? Education is more important than games I guess.

Sorry to steal your thread. I'm just pissed.

I know what you mean.

Friends... Family... School... Work...

All of them are just obstacles in the way of my board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Åman Pohjola
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
This isn't helpful in any way whatsoever, just a spontaneous association: from what I recall, a central thesis of G4M3R 7H30RY is how gamespace is a domain where there is no longer a meaningful distinction between work and play.

So, of course boardgaming is work. But don't forget, it's also play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R. Moen
Norway
OSLO
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Iain McFadyen. I am normally the organizer and it takes some time away from concentration to make sure that people are comfortable etcetera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R. Moen
Norway
OSLO
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sen045 wrote:

So, of course boardgaming is work. But don't forget, it's also play

And for most of us - a whole lot more of fun than work! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibault Bloch
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
tornadog wrote:
Is there a name for this syndrome?

Eurogames?

Exactly what I thought. You don't feel like strategizing anymore ? try games mith much more theme, start with something like Heroquest if you're into fantasy, then go to something deeper with at least enought theme like Space Hulk.

Action ! Dice rolls ! Immersion ! You'll start with seemingly stupid games (Heroquest), just having fun, and then little by little you'll introduce games (Space Hulk) where you'll strategize without even noticing it, because you'll feel part of a universe, it will feel like experiencing things, living situations, instead of strategizing them. Try games loaded with theme and heavily focusing on tactics instead of strategy. They're much more emphasizing the "play" part over the "build a consistent way of winning the game" which can be assimilated to work. Don't forget some ambiant sound (from Conan The Barbarian ost (Heroquest) to Aliens ost (Space Hulk)).
On a side note, playing these games is really close to the "mindless videogames" you are referring to, which I play often myself. Really close, but still much better (socializing, playing with friends, etc).

Not sure if all this makes sense, and it surely is a very subjective matter, but I once felt the same way you do and eventually got through ^^

PS. The "array" - if ever you can call two items an array - of games I suggest is merely based on personal tastes and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the best nights of the week to game (or hold a game night) are in this order:
#1 Tuesday, you've just started the work week, but have already gotten a handle on your workload and now is a good time to let off some steam before stress mounts.

#2 Saturday, you've had a chance to sleep in and forget about work a bit and are ready to enjoy a game.

#3 Wednesday, not as good as Tuesday, but better than the remaining days listed.

#4 Thursday, not as bad as Friday, but not that bad either, altogether.

#5 Sunday, not as good as Saturday, your starting to think about Monday and all that Monday's "back to work" brings.

#6 Monday, after a full day of catching up and assessing the pace of your week to come, not a very good night to game.

#7 Friday, the worst night of the week to game. Sure the weekend is before you, but not yet. The week's stress won't go away until the golden Friday Night to Saturday Morning sleep of forgetfulness. Avoid this night at all costs. You may be in a weekend mood, but your stress buzz and work week's agitation is not.

I hope this helps. Maybe a rescheduling of game night is order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the people you are playing with? If you don't have a good group to play with, gaming can become NOT FUN very fast. I've been stuck being the organizer, but I generally don't mind, as it means my games get played by the people I invited to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellis Hugh
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being in Arun's group I would just like to say on my behalf, "It wasn't me." I have had some real smash-mouth, take-no-prisoner battles with Arun for second to last place in several games. Those were often more fun than outright winning, but consistently losing can definitely drain the fun out of anything.

The group tends to try a lot of new games too. This slows things down as everyone is learning the game, so we usually only get 1 or 2 games played on a game night. This can be hit or miss and with some of the duds we have played, it becomes a "we really shoulda done Caylus/Powergrid/El Grande." A lot of times the new games have pretty boxes and nice pieces but...bleh. Tempus, bleh, yuck!

Also, I noticed that when the games take longer we get a lot of folks finishing the game then dashing out because it's past 11 on a week night. When the group started with Jeff Curtis visiting and a few others, we always had some time for after game analysis. We could discuss strategies, compare notes, figure out what everyone was trying to do, and clarify some rules. That way you could plead your case and get some satisfaction that folks noticed you were trying something out or that things just weren't going your way. If we played the game again, it went a lot faster.

As far as burnout goes. All you can do is step away until you get the itch again. In the mean time that Wii you have is a total kick and a lot easier to setup than Heroescape or A&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.