Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Book: C

The rulebook should be much clearer about how the game works. There are so many holes, ambiguities, and things just left out, that we had to make up our own answers about 10 times playing the first game. Reading the entire thing again after playing didn't resolve anything. Also, it should not be folded the way it is. It should be in booklet form with pages.

Parts Quality: B

The cards are good. The artwork is very good, although the board is a bit harsh. A much more faded design would have been more pleasing.

My biggest problem was that one of the card sheets wasn't punched through. I had to spend 2 hours with an exacto knife to get all the crazy curved pieces to pop out without tearing.

The box cover fits so tight, it takes 2 people to get it off without ripping a corner.

The 2 inset card holder slots in the box are not deep enough to hold all the cards. I had to split each deck, rubber-band the top half and place it into the larger bin so that the folded board can sit flat in the box.

12 characters with only 6 stands is a poor choice. That means you need to constantly switch parts which will make everything wear much faster. I would have preferred round cardboard counters for characters.

Using symbols to match cities to the market area on the edge of the board is very cumbersome. Using the city name, or giving each city a different color code would have been better.

[If they re-released this game with the rule book and parts problems fixed, I'd probably buy it again.]

Game Play: A

The game is very clever. Combat incorporates much of the essence of role playing games in a quick and simple system. Movement is such that you need to take care when going into "slower" terrain, which comes up less frequently on the dice. Exhaustion, wounds, and escaping give it a much more immersive feel than just "roll to see who dies".

In my first game, I think I had 3 allies, 2 weapons, a suit of armor, a couple artifacts, and some other items. Exhaustion/wound counters all over. There's really some meat there when you have to go up against a toughie. Do you take a chance and risk losing your best melee fighter, or play it save and potentially give the beast another magic attack?

Going into town to buy stuff is great fun. My opponent entered a town and drew a cool weapon that he couldn't afford. Fortunately, I was nearby, waltzed in and grabbed it.

The way the cards interact, it's almost like you are playing a mini game of Magic: The Gathering each time you fight. You can attack your opponents, or stay away from them completely and just race for experience, allies, and items. PvP or not, you are still competing for a limited supply of cool stuff and encounters.

This game has some long-term playability, but I would guess that expansions are really going to be important as the same encounters will get old.

Don't expect this to be a strategy game, or even a wargame in a fantasy setting. It's a role-playing board game. It really feels like you are sitting at the table playing a simple form of D&D with no DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
ekted (#42847),

I am curious as to what rules you had problems interpreting? Do you remember some of the issues you had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#42931),

Nevermind! Sorry, I see you had posted some questions later down the road....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have heard of some Countersheets having this problem, which is not acceptable IOO.

If anyone else has a bad countersheet, we would be happy to replace it with. Simply contact Pat (cust. service) at path@fantasyflightgames.com

Best Wishes,

cP
FFG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster (#43260),

Yes, I called 2 days ago, gave my name and address, and they put a replacement right into the mail. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this many more times, I've had to downgrade it to a 4. The sad quality of the parts and the cards, the multi-player solitaire aspects of play, and the myriad holes have forced it off of everyone's play list here. So many situations are not resolvable with the rules and the FAQ. It's clear that FFG could not have playtested this game more than 3 times. It is insulting.

I am keeping this game only as a reminder to do more research before paying good money for any more FFG games. I have my eye on Twilight Imperium 3, but it will no longer be an impulse buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.