1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you think about GeekUp Bit Bowls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Nilsson
msg tools
Hi,

I have been on the market for new bit bowls. First I tried IKEA glass bowls, but they was to narrow, then I tried IKEA cork coasters, they was to low and then finally I tried expensive wooden bowls. The wooden bowls feels nice but hard to pour tokens back in to bags.

So before I settle on the wooden bowls, how is the GeekUp Bit Bowls?
https://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/accessories/produ...

Are they easy to grab token from? Easy to pour tokens back in to bags? Is the stable enough to move around with content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonne
Sweden
flag msg tools
Not what you asked, but I bought a bunch of rectangular saucers of the kind you pour soy sauce into to dip your sushi. They don't have high edges making it hard to get stuff out, and the shape makes it easy to pour the contents back into the bag.

Similar to this, but a bit more shallow:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend who hosts our game night has them and they seem pretty great. You can definitely pick them up and move them around with tokens in them, though, if you grab it by just a corner you could spill.

They're very easy to get tokens out of while playing and we always pour the tokens directly into the baggies from the Bit Bowls. Though, if it's a small baggie, you may still spill a bit.

And they store flat, so they don't take up a lot of space while not in use. He happened to get all the different colors, so I like doing my best to match up the colors of the bits to the colors of the bowls during set-up, because then it makes it easier to know what's in each bowl. (This is especially nice to me while playing Quacks of Quedlinburg)

They do collect dust pretty easily since they're silicone. But, also because they're silicone, you can just rinse them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wood or glass bowls = much prettier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some and they work pretty well. They store flat too. However, I think they are a bit pricey.

An idea I got from the Rio Grande room at GenCon works too. They were using silicone baking cups. They do not have the capacity of the bit bowls from the Geek but they are cheaper. I bought mine, 12 to a container, for less than $5 with the 40% coupon that Hobby Lobby has on their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jeppson
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hpgeek wrote:
I have some and they work pretty well. They store flat too. However, I think they are a bit pricey.

An idea I got from the Rio Grande room at GenCon works too. They were using silicone baking cups. They do not have the capacity of the bit bowls from the Geek but they are cheaper. I bought mine, 12 to a container, for less than $5 with the 40% coupon that Hobby Lobby has on their website.
Re: the baking cups. We love them as bit holders. Their capacity does make them less than perfect for some games, but they work for most use cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest wandering through Michael's craft store if you have one available. There are so many options there, and prices aren't bad. I got some stuff two weeks ago with a coupon from a flyer for 50% off. We get Michael's flyers in our mailboxes.

I live in a part of the country that has Christmas Tree Shops. They have a ton of options, and their prices are exceedingly cheap.

I liked your idea of wooden bowls because they're not as slippery as glass, so it's easier to get tokens out of them. I wonder if you can find smaller ones somewhere. Silicone is sticky. I'm wary of that solution, though I've never used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

I use dip bowls from the local dollar store. They're clear glass, 4 for a dollar, deeper than soy sauce bowls, rounded bottoms, easy to pour from, easy to grab from, and look good on the table with any game.

They hit all my needs, and I've had no drawbacks... so at a 4/$1 price for the glass dishes, they make the geekup bits bowls overpriced to me.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, not answering the question about the GeekUp bowls, but I have a bunch of these from the Dollar Store. They are perfect for game bits, money, dice, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a full set of GeekUp bit bowls and use them all the time. They store flat, so that's a plus. For games like The Quacks of Quedlinburg, having bowls in all the matching colors for the bits is great. They are easy to use, but of course, there are many, many alternatives you can use to hold bits. We do own and recommend this set, though.

And I also will add that we have a full set of the GeekUp Card & Bit Holders too. We use those all the time also. We keep the Card & Bit Holders and the Bit Bowls together in a plastic tub that's roughly the size of a small shoebox. That tub is never far away from our main game shelf and table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb

What about something specifically made.for the job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Top
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
My local boardgame store has things that are basically the same as those bit bowls except made out of felt and much cheaper. I have no complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
msg tools
Phogg wrote:

Looks cool but there is a couple of problems. It will be hard to pour them in to individual bags. Its not possible to distribute on diffrent places.

For me it needs to be modular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
msg tools
Thanks, It seems like they who tried or is owning did like the GeekUp Bit Bowls

Silicon is not always easy to keep clean, sometimes it cant even be wiped with towel becouse of fuzz from it. How sticky is this silicon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silicon cleans up okay in the sink with ordinary dish soap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to upthread comments: the GeekUp bit bowls are a bit pricey, but for my wife and I they work well, store flat, and rinse clean in the sink when they get dusty.

As an added bonus, you can use them to hold hot mugs (mini hot pads!) since the silicon is good insulation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
msg tools
Silicon is a generally a bit sticky, the surface is not easy to "slide" on? How is this effecting the tokens? I have heard gamers say that wood is to rough and will wear up tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use glass ashtrays. They're the right size, heft, and depth. There's a bejillion of them out there and nobody wants them any more.

Pete (notes that you can usually pick up a dozen at Goodwill for a quarter each)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:

More like this?
I have this.
It is highly impractical.
I never use it.
It's too shallow, too small, you don't fit that many tokens in it. Plus the delays are astronomical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use the silicone cupcake baking cups. They are inexpensive and do the job well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyNi wrote:
Phogg wrote:

Looks cool but there is a couple of problems. It will be hard to pour them in to individual bags. Its not possible to distribute on diffrent places.

For me it needs to be modular.
All of this, plus, you need to be able to put things around the board, and player tableaus, in piles where they fit - that takes a good amount of tablespace up. It's nice, but a non-starter for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like using the large disposable condiment cups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Hill
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Phogg wrote:

More like this?
I have this.
It is highly impractical.
I never use it.
It's too shallow, too small, you don't fit that many tokens in it. Plus the delays are astronomical.
Nooo don't tell me that! I have been waiting over 2 years for mine and it is finally on the horizon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
You can use a canning funnel to get tokens out of wide bowls into smaller containers. This type of funnel has a wide spout so it won't get clogged by the bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |