Subject: Stronger Hera & Zeus variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed playing this game according to the original rules since I bought it in 2000. It usually accompanies me and my wife on the family holidays.

Recently we tried making the following small revision which makes for an interesting change.

Alter the rule so that it requires 2 Pegasus (not 1) to rid your opponent of their Hera or Zeus card. Playing the two Pegasus cards naturally takes 2 action points.

It usually allows the Hera & Zeus cards to stay around for a few turns more especially if you play it at a time when your opponent is short of Pegasus cards. It makes it more important to keep Persephone handy as a defensive strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Stronger Hera
Steve99 (#42869),
Sounds like a good idea. I'd like to try that.

I saw a mention from the designer that he orignally had Hera/Zeus play just as cards rather than blocks of wood -- Kosmos added those to justify the box size and price I think -- and that you could play Hera/Zeus into an empty column. Since then I've always laid down the actual cards and allowed playing them into an empty column, which makes them a little more powerful, which is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Stronger Hera
Steve99 (#42869),
What a great idea. My wife and I implemented your variant and what a huge difference. Now even more intense game.
Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... GREAT variant. Zeus and Hera are a little stronger now, and it is important and thematic to time their use properly. You also need to keep a few more pegasus cards around to counter them, meaning you need to take the occasional chance or predict what your opponent plays before making an attack now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.