Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any particular way to arrange the buildings at the start of the game? The rules simply say 'place them on the appropriate spaces on/beside the game board'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Müller
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Is there any particular way to arrange the buildings at the start of the game? The rules simply say 'place them on the appropriate spaces on/beside the game board'

As you may build the buildings in any order you want, there is not particular set up ... I think

We just played a game and asked ourselves the very same question ...

CU,
Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Poltorak
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first time we played, we thought you had to follow the diagram. Really doesn't matter, as game play told us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been wondering the same, and we also came to the conclusion that it didn't matter how you arrange the buildings. After all, the Architect can build any one building, no matter where it is:

Cuba Spielregeln wrote:
Wer diese karte ausspielt, darf ein Gebäude vom Vorrat Spielplan oder daneben auswählen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. The conclusion I came to reading the rules was that it didn't matter... however someone has posted photos grouping the buildings into different categories, so I thought there was some way to set them up based on these categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monsieur retuono
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my opinion it matters. The rule says "If you play this card, you may choose one building from the stock (gameboard or next to it) and put ("build") it on any field of your plantation board".

It seems that the only available buildings are in the first column and the adjacent one outside of the board. So not the ones which are on the 3rd to the 5th column.

Couldn't find any other topic on the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
retuono wrote:
Well, in my opinion it matters. The rule says "If you play this card, you may choose one building from the stock (gameboard or next to it) and put ("build") it on any field of your plantation board".

It seems that the only available buildings are in the first column and the adjacent one outside of the board. So not the ones which are on the 3rd to the 5th column.

Couldn't find any other topic on the issue.

This problem is a language interpretation problem. The German rule does not allow such an interpretation. In fact, it does not even matter, where you place the buildings or even if you stockpile them or whatever. The 5 buildings coming on the gameboard are just to save space on the gaming table as 25 buildings next to each other take away a lot of space even if formed into a square (5x5).

So, forget your interpretation. All buildings are available for building at any time. I use to sort them by type (money, victory points, shippping, converters, special).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl-Gustaf Samuelsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We misinterpreted the rules when we played it in Essen, as we decided that "on the board and next to it" only was the first two columns, but it didn't really feel correct and it was difficult for my old eyes to see the tiles in the rules.

The next I went back to Eggertspiele and got it confirmed that you may pick ANY of the buildings at ANY TIME. The order in the rules is only that more or less functionally equal buildings are in the same row, but this is just an aid and not necessary.

I'm looking forward to test it with the correct rules, as it felt very restrained with a fixed setup.
/Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! Glad it wasn't just me who succumbed to the famous "playing it all wrong at Essen" law.
Not only did we just use columns one and two of the randomly-placed buildings, but we also did the following wrong:
- activated all the buildings in both rows and columns of the foreman
- Failed to limit the products we took to just two
- Had no dea you could pay water to get an extra product
- Failed to limit which products the tradeswoman could get as her alternative action to just those which are cheapest
- Failed completely to use the warehouse.

This was on day one of Essen. Gawd knows what we did wrong on day 2 and 3!!! DO I blame it on teh guy from Rio Grande who explained the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What !? With the foreman you can only activate either a line or a column ? You can't activate both ? Are you sure of that ? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
What !? With the foreman you can only activate either a line or a column ? You can't activate both ? Are you sure of that ? zombie

That doesn't sound right to me... as far as I understood it you can either:

1) use all buildings that are 'activated' by your worker - i.e. in a row or column

OR

2) use any 1 in-active building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
aladdinsdad wrote:

That's correct - the foreman activates all of the buildings in the same row and column. The rules say "or", but that's a non-exclusive or! This is also approved by the designer (see spielbox forums).

Quote:

You do not get an extra product, but you may get a product you wouldn't get due to production limits. So, e. g. you activate 2x tobacco, 1x sugar - you may take only two of them, e. g. 2x tobacco. Paying 1x water allows you to take the 1x sugar you wouldn't get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:

That's correct - the foreman activates all of the buildings in the same row and column. The rules say "or", but that's a non-exclusive or! This is also approved by the designer (see spielbox forums).

- Yes I fiigured this out teh next day on reading no. 2 of the rules.

Quote:
Quote:

You do not get an extra product, but you may get a product you wouldn't get due to production limits. So, e. g. you activate 2x tobacco, 1x sugar - you may take only two of them, e. g. 2x tobacco. Paying 1x water allows you to take the 1x sugar you wouldn't get.

OK - thats what I meant.

How about "- Failed to limit which products the tradeswoman could get as her alternative action to just those which are cheapest" - if there is lots of citrus fruit, at 1 peso each, but i want to buy tobacco at 3, can I do that, or must I buy Citrus 1st? To me the former makes more sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Braut
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:

Thanks for clearing this up. We had this wrong, but that was because when compared to rule for the worker, the rule specify column and row, but for the foreman it sais column or row, so we played as by the written rules.
If the designer has said otherwise on the Spielbox forum, we'll play by those rules from now, of course.

A great game, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Braut
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aladdinsdad wrote:

How about "- Failed to limit which products the tradeswoman could get as her alternative action to just those which are cheapest" - if there is lots of citrus fruit, at 1 peso each, but i want to buy tobacco at 3, can I do that, or must I buy Citrus 1st? To me the former makes more sense...

When using the tradewoman's alternative action, you get one resource of any kind for free or you can get one unit of any product that
currently has the lowest price at the market for free.

So, when you use the tradewoman's alternate action, you're limited to the cheapest product - but you get it for free.

If you chose to use the tradewoman for buying or selling, you can sell and/or buy as many products and/or goods as you like, paying/recieving the amount on the field where you place/take the goods og product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ireton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the original question, the glossary of buildings at the end of the rulebook does arrange them into some logical groups:

* 10 of the buildings are for "victory points", including the branch offices
* 5 of the buildings are "income sources"
* 5 of the buildings are "factories" plus the black market
* 5 of the buildings are "power increasers"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just setting this up for the first time and had exactly the same question, so I'm glad it's just not me! Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'm pretty sure we won't get all the other rules right..............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.