Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR: If you like the theme, don't surrender, read some tips and give the game a few more chances!

As the title says, after 6 matches I finally saw the light and decided to write this session-thing to celebrate my accomplishment.

First a little about my preferences: I have the full collection of Arkham Horror 2ed, Elder Sign, Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror. I have everything so far from Mansions 2 and a bunch of decks from Arkham Horror The Card Game. With the exception of the first Mansions, I play everything else with a certain frequency, none of which is played less than 6 times a year.

Returning to the subject, when I heard about the release of a new Arkham I was very excited, I even asked a colleague to buy it in Essen, ie a few days after its release it was on my table ready to be played. I played the first game and was a little disappointed (I gave it a 7) basically for 2 reasons: 1) Pandemic mechanics, 2) I didn't have fun playing. I decided to try again and a few days later I played 2 times but the feeling was the same.

I thought about trading it, I even put it in a Math Trade, but at the last moment I gave up because I remembered something recurring, at least for me: I need many plays to have fun with games that have many details, this had already happened with Eldritch Horror, Lord of the Rings The Card Game (the deck building aspect of it) and Mage Knight Board Game. And all three of these games ended up on my favorites list.

Everything ready for another chance...

Still, he was practically untouched for months. Until yesterday. With the release of the expansion I thought it would be a good time to give the game another chance. I don't usually like to read strategy articles because they take some of the pleasure out of discovery, but I looked for little tips on BGG that would make the game a little more fluid and less frustrating. I found out that Marie and Michael are good winners and that the scenario of the "New Great Old One" (Umordhoth) is the easiest. I also realized that often the most important thing is not the investigation but the removal of doom tokens.

So I played a solo match with those two investigators that lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes, I almost won (only 2 damage left on Umordhoth) but the feeling was very satisfactory. The theme is well implemented and the codex is a sensational creation that makes the story coherent. The bottom line is that now I really like Arkham 3ed (I changed my grade to a 9) and I can't wait to play all the scenarios until I win. In addition, the expansion will be acquired soon and Fantasy Flight will continue to take my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your experience. AH3 was my first real foray into the Arkham universe. I had played the card game a few times and enjoyed it somewhat, but felt it lacked a little something. I got Arkham Horror 3rd edition at the end of last year and have now played it 19 times. I have loved every moment and it currently sits at #2 on my all time list.

I now own AH3, AH card game, Mansions of Madness 2, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror and AH2 (though haven't yet played that last one). AH3 and MoM2 are by far my favorites, but I have enjoyed all the games in the series so far and look forward to more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In addition to the additional scenarios and characters, the expansion really shines by doubling the size of every neighborhood's event deck. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH3rd is one of my favorite games. I've loved it from the moment I played our first game. Each scenario can be won in multiple ways so keep on playing even after you win one.

I'm impatiently waiting for my copy of the dark night to arrive (it's being held up by my dune preorder) and am hoping to have it by Halloween . I am so looking forward to playing. I'm happy for you guys that have it but really jealous too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello there
msg tools
mbmb
Arkham Horror Third Edition is by far our favorite 'Arkham Files' game.

Everything just works so smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really like the 3rd edition, and have been a little baffled by most of the 2nd edition fans who are critical of it. Most of the time, it seems like the basis of their criticism is that it doesn't have the same "feel" as the prior edition.

The 3rd edition just feels much more like a real game to me than the 2nd edition. The players' actions have more of an ability to affect the flow of the game. Furthermore, the scenario-based game play really adds some much needed variability to the game. The explore gates, close gates, lather, rinse, repeat approach of the prior edition feels very samey after a while, whereas the 3rd edition's scenarios grants each of the different old ones their own feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Six String
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor_Frink wrote:
I also really like the 3rd edition, and have been a little baffled by most of the 2nd edition fans who are critical of it. Most of the time, it seems like the basis of their criticism is that it doesn't have the same "feel" as the prior edition.

The 3rd edition just feels much more like a real game to me than the 2nd edition. The players' actions have more of an ability to affect the flow of the game. Furthermore, the scenario-based game play really adds some much needed variability to the game. The explore gates, close gates, lather, rinse, repeat approach of the prior edition feels very samey after a while, whereas the 3rd edition's scenarios grants each of the different old ones their own feel.
3rd edition is a big break away from the previous version of AH. However, I went into 3e after playing multiple games of 2e and also literally hundreds of games of Eldritch Horror (top of my board game list by a long shot), and thoroughly enjoyed 3e.
The difference in look and feel was intimidating at first. It felt like I'd been forced into a dark room and then left there, trying to figure out where i was. Wondering what was next.
My group has played through the scenarios and we've thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. Beaten them all so far too.

The main problem I find with these scenario based mysteries, is due to the limited set of cards, the games get very predictable and you know what's coming. It means I want to play it less to allow everyone to forget the scenarios and the cards. Where as with 2e and EH, well, with all the expansions, there's a medium sized library full of cards to enjoy. And I know we've still not seen them all in every combination. Especially the artifacts in EH. Still seeing new ones of those and the excitement continues.

So yes, 3e does add that variance where 2e lacked. But EH also contains that variance. 3e does a fantastic job of creating a new feel to the game though overall, and I was glad it wasn't just a remake of 2e with some rule updates. It needed to be different or I wouldn't of bothered buying it (now, if FFG ever put out a big box version of EH with all the expansions and a nice neoprene game board, then I'll be falling over myself to give them enough money for several copies to ensure i've always got one available, haha).

Another good thing about 3e, is if you want your mythos fix but don't have time to pull Eldritch out or 2e out (especially 2e), then 3e is a great option, since I haven't played a game that's taken longer than 90 mins so far of it. The focus and speed with which it plays really makes it easier for a lot of people to stomach i think too.
Personally I love longer games. I love games that last 4+ hours. But most people don't, so for those people, I HIGHLY recommend AH 3e if you have wanted to get a mythos game, but didn't want to spend the time in the previous versions.

Looking forward to getting my expansion too, be nice to get this one to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls