Popular Tags: Notre_Dame [+] [View All]
Gaius Caesar
United States
USA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From my understanding of the rules, here is how carriages work:

Possibility 1
Let’s say my carriage house has 3 influence markers in it. This means I could move my carriage up to 3 spaces.

On my very first move with my carriage (out of a possible 3), I land on a market with a message I need. If I pick that first message up, my action is over. This means my 2 other possible carriage moves goes unused. Right?

Is it correct to say that as soon as I pick up a message, I must end my carriage movement, even if I could move further?

Possibility 2
If the above is not the case, could I move to market 1/pick up a message, then move to market 2/pick up a message, and finally move to market 3/pick up a message? (Yes, I would keep the color set collection rule in mind.)

I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Sorry for what may seem like a really obvious question.

What really throws me off is the following wording in the rules:
Quote:
“Also, a player can always choose to stop earlier and need not move his carriage the full movement allowed. If the market place where the carriage stops has a message, the player may take the token and immediately use its power…”
I have read the examples over and over, but it seems like the explanation was cut short for both the yellow and green players. I’d like to know what they finally do take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
rome_freak wrote:
From my understanding of the rules, here is how carriages work:

Possibility 1
Let’s say my carriage house has 3 influence markers in it. This means I could move my carriage up to 3 spaces.

On my very first move with my carriage (out of a possible 3), I land on a market with a message I need. If I pick that first message up, my action is over. This means my 2 other possible carriage moves goes unused. Right?

Is it correct to say that as soon as I pick up a message, I must end my carriage movement, even if I could move further?

Yes, this is the way it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Caesar
United States
USA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Secco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the point is that:
-You can move by a total of spaces equal to cubes you have.
-You can end the movement before you used all your spaces
-most important: you can get a message only when you have ended the movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Caesar
United States
USA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. That question is clear now. Could I ask one more about the carriage/messages? I have a feeling am reading the rules too much like a picky lawyer.

Here is the question:

When I do pick up the message that allows me to take 2 prestige points and 1 influence marker, the rules say I “immediately use its power.” Therefore, I take the prestige points and 1 influence marker...but it is not clear where I take the influence marker from. I assume I take that influence marker from my general supply and move it into my (active) supply. Is that correct?

Or is this correct: I can take 1 influence marker from my (active) supply and put it anywhere on the board?

I ask this question because the example for the yellow player on the right side of page 5 of the English rules does not specifically say where yellow takes the marker from. The rules state:

"Next, he (yellow) places a second influence marker in his carriage house and can move his carriage up to 2 market places distant."

At least for me, the rules do not adequately explain where yellow’s second influence marker comes from. Does it come from the message (+1 influence marker) he had previously picked up and placed onto his carriage house, or does the second influence marker come from a completely different action card he played?

Forgive the pesky questions... I just want to make sure I understand this before I teach the game to others.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
General supply to active supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Secco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rome_freak wrote:

I ask this question because the example for the yellow player on the right side of page 5 of the English rules does not specifically say where yellow takes the marker from. The rules state:

"Next, he (yellow) places a second influence marker in his carriage house and can move his carriage up to 2 market places distant."

At least for me, the rules do not adequately explain where yellow’s second influence marker comes from. Does it come from the message (+1 influence marker) he had previously picked up and placed onto his carriage house, or does the second influence marker come from a completely different action card he played?

the point of the example is that the yellow player placed in a previous action a cube on the carriage and got a red message. So now (another action) can place a second cube (of course from his supply) and move by 2 spaces but he can't get another red message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.