Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a full campaign for both Liberty Roads and Victory Roads, hoping to see how my progress as the Allies / Soviets compares to historical. I originally started the Liberty Roads as a physical game on my table but had to convert to vassal, so this series of LR AAR's replaces that initial gambit.

In order for me to not have to load and format dozens of photos, I'm converting each AAR firs to .pdf, then to .jpg, and posting them as a series of .jpg images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only gotten to play the campaign once, and I made the "traditional" landings. I've been curious to see how it might go making landings much further north, so my vote is for the first option.

Good luck and thanks for the AAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
I say the Pas De Calais. Looks like you can clean out those German units splitting your forces in two fairly quickly plus the British troops are right next to the major port of Calais. Also, the Americans have a solid shoulder on the east that the Germans can't attack through I believe.

I'm actually slowly learning this game right now and find it very interesting.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't like the level 5 beaches around Calais. If I am unlucky then I get reduced to 2 beaches which is a serious setback.

My favourite site are around Dieppe (I am Canadian after all). I only invade the level 4 beaches around there. Hex 2209 near LeHavre, hex 2309 to the west of Dieppe and hex 2509 to the east of Dieppe. Pluto in 2211.

There is a reasonable chance of all three beacheads being established. There is a reasonable chance of isolating LeHavre unless the Germans commit to a precarious corridor to LeHavre. As the allies expand the Seine is there to protect my west flank without blocking me from Germany.

The classic Normandy invasion has an easier time getting ashore but the terrain is worse than around Dieppe. Also Cherbourg is tougher to isolate than LeHavre and of course from Normandy you still have to cross the Seine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Knowing in advance the results then take the Calais invasion.

If you don't know the results in advance then take the Dieppe invasion.

The big disadvantage of the Calais invasion is the possibility that one (or two) beachheads fail to be taken. If you already know that it is a guaranteed success, then take Calais invasion.

So if your turn 0 was just a test to help you decide, and the real invasion is yet to happen...then take the Dieppe invasion (more chance of getting 3 beachheads.) Though I would personally invade a couple of hexes further west straddling Dieppe and trying to cut off LeHavre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls