Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome fruit pickers to October's Orchard challenge.

As usual you can use either the 18 card single-sided deck or 9 card double-sided deck. We'll play one game with 9 cards and then play a second game with the other side of the deck (or, in the case of the 18 card deck, the other 9 cards).

A player's total harvest will be the sum of their two scores.

The most bountiful harvest will be awarded a prize of 100 bag and a personalised PnD (Print and Display) card.

In order to participate in this challenge, you will need to use the numbered cards (FOUND HERE). If you have the unnumbered version then you can write the numbers on the cards or on card sleeves. Alternately, you can just consult the file with the numbered cards and pull the appropriate card!)

The game is played following the usual rules. Below, you will find the card you start your orchard with as well as the first two cards in your hand. After you place one card, click on each spoiler box to find out which card to draw next. You will have two cards in hand as usual until the last round when you will only have one card to play.

In the event of a tie, we will use the following tiebreakers:
First tiebreaker: fewest rotten fruit
Second tiebreaker: highest number of dice used

So please record these for each game and include them in your score posting.

Post your scores and comments, along with a photo if you wish, in the comments section below. Please post scores using this format:

(score, rotten fruits, dice used)
Game 1: ##, #, ##
Game 2: ##, #, ##
Total : ##, #, ##

Try as many times as you like, but only your first (blind) score will count for the challenge.

Challenge runs from October 10 - 31

Game 1
Starting card: 16

First two cards in hand:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

7, 17

Then draw the following cards in succession:

Game 2
Starting card: 10

First two cards in hand:

5, 18

Then draw the following cards in succession:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll kick off.

Game 1: 39, 1, 13
I thought I was on for a much more bountiful harvest after the first few turns but it was not to be.

Game 2: 29, 2, 12
On turn 7 I decided to replace a '1' die with a rotten fruit in order to develop the other 5 trees on a card. That didn't prevent my score from being 'forget-apple'.

Total harvest: 68, 3, 25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Game 1: Hey, maybe I *am* pretty good at this! Everything just falls into place!
Game 2: Tried to be clever with only a one-overlap on the first turn. Felt like an uphill climb the rest of the game. Don't get cocky, kid.
Total : I enjoy this every month, thanks!

Game 1: 47, 0, 14
Game 2: 29, 1, 14
Total : 76, 1, 28

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Game 1 went so well, everything just seemed to work out after taking some not so obvious placements. However Game 2 was a more realistic outcome and I just couldn't find ideal placements to get those 6 point scorers!

Game 1 - 45:0:14

Game 2 - 32:0:13

---

Total - 77:0:27
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1 went pretty well:

Game 1: 39, 0, 14

But game 2 was just a disaster area. Even when I calculated the cost of a rotten fruit, I would only get a 2 or 3 point gain. I probably should have tried it any way and seen what possibilities opened up.

Game 2: 21, 0, 13

Total: 60, 0, 27
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did really good in my first game and terrible in my second. Planted myself into a corner and couldn't make a decent harvest out of it.

Game 1: 38, 1, 13
Game 2: 20, 2, 14
Total : 58, 3, 27

Sorry about the orientation (right side is top if you're checking score by my custom tokens)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jahz
France
Le Rouret
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo like everybody and like last month, first game was really good, and second one again a nightmare !
I managed to wake up from the nightmare by taking a rotten on a 1 die for -4 points, but getting 10 in the same time (3+3+3+1) for a total of 6.

Game 1: 49, 0, 11
Game 2: 32, 1, 13
Total : 81, 1, 24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jahz
France
Le Rouret
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
Game 2: Tried to be clever with only a one-overlap on the first turn. Felt like an uphill climb the rest of the game. Don't get cocky, kid.
Total : I enjoy this every month

I struggled a LOT with my first turn of second game as well. I think a good 5 minutes thinking.
But in the end I went with 18 for a 2 tree overlap.

PS: same total as you I don’t play the game outside of challenges but I really appreciate those 2 monthly games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Timmins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1: 41, 1, 13
Game 2: 30, 2, 14
Total : 71, 3, 27

Thanks as always for the Challenge Mark.

Just scrolled down to see some great scores for the month, well done everyone! That second game took some time to puzzle out. Quite happy with my 31 for it.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my Kickstarter copy. This is just the perfect game for those nights where the brain needs something soothing to muddle around.

Edit.. forgot to add a photo. My brain is fried atm. I even forgot to snap a shot of my first Orchard. Second one below...

Bit hard to tell but I used black dice for the rotten fruit and purple dice for the plums shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls