Subject: Help me decide to keep this or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up quite a bit of D2E content last year with the intent of solo play. I have the core box and every box expansion. It hasn't panned out for me - nothing to do with D2E, I haven't solo'd any of the games I picked up for this purpose.

Now, onto your advice.

I want to preface this by saying the odds of me ever getting the competitive version played are low - simply because my friends/family would rather coop the dungeon than compete (as much as I would like to compete) - so my questions rely sole on the packaged coop scenarios and Road to Legend.

Things which concerned me thus far in our coops, and please realize this are probably more mis-steps on my part (lack of research) rather than criticisms of the games design:

1) Not much long-term depth. The class decks don't have too many skills, so it seems like your character won't diversify much.

2) The Rise of the Goblins scenario is rather dull thus far, do the others get better?

3) The boxed coops don't appear to be repayable (Forgotten Souls, etc). Not really a big deal, since I paid an average of $12 for each.

4) I need to find a way to get all my content organized under "one roof", so I'm not opening multiple boxes during a scenario.

At any rate, there are loads of "RPG" games on my docket and coming in. I own Too Many Bones and Folklore, and I have Tainted Grail showing up next month. I just pledged for Aeon Tresspass and am considering Oathsworn. I realize how absurd this is about to sound, but I'm trying to streamline my collection. I don't want to have too many games in an genre, or they don't get played. Unfortunately, I am the collector in our group, so if I want to try them, I have to acquire them first.

So, what do you think? Should I purge this in favor of the others mentioned, or keep trying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all the first edition stuff. Only to have FFG come out with second Ed, which most people felt wasn't as good. Buy it all...

Third edition will come soon after with dedicated solo and coop modes...

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. The amount of character compositions are massive. Astronomical. Especially with the new hybrid classes.

2.Rise of all Goblins is a tutorial. Just one real main story fight. It's there to learn or try new comps.

3. I've replayed most of the physical co ops. Different comps and different map set up. Also I'd be very surprised if anyone can beat these on the first try. They're very punishing and require a bit of min/maxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the D2e Overlord in the spirit of a dungeonmaster rather than an opponent, you can still play "competitive" D2e with family and have lots of fun. Compared with an AI based on behavioral cards, a human playing the part of the "AI" makes the adventure feel much more alive and the stakes much higher. Also it means the "AI" player handles all the fiddly ends which the casual players don't need to mess with; they can just concentrate on their own characters. As an extreme example, even Zombicide would play better for casuals if the owner acts as the "AI" and handle all the zombies and tokens.

Unless you're 1 of those personality types who insist on crushing and winning, even when you're playing against children and casuals. In which case sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
If in doubt, flat out
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Only to have FFG come out with second Ed, which most people felt wasn't as good.
BGG user ratings suggest otherwise. What data are you using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Germany
Maintal
Hessen
flag msg tools
Schwarz-weiß wie Schnee
badge
Würstreich
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it!

Read this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2263658/redjaks-archived-fi...

It automates the Overlord so you can play the game coop or solo (two heroes).
It's far easier than it looks at first sight and this way I even got my gf playing it with me (she's not that much into boardgames, but enjoyed Descent - the app doesn't do it for me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the consensus seems to be keep at it.

What is a good point wherein I would have seen enough to have made a satisfactory decisions either way (to keep or sell)? Should I play another campaign after rise of goblin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lightningclaw Stormcaller
msg tools
mb
Definitely play something after Rise of All Goblins. That’s a tutorial with a mediocre finale in my opinion.

I suggest playing the entirety of Kindred Fire. This campaign includes:

-6 story quests
-3-4 side quests. These are entirely optional, but I think 3-4 is pretty reasonable. You can do fewer or more if you like.

An entire campaign is a lot of hours, but I believe it gives you the most complete picture of the game. You see how the game ebbs and flows, especially with the change to Act 2.

I know suggesting someone play a game NINE TIMES just to see if they like it might be a tad ridiculous for some. “You’re deciding if you like this game? Play it more times than some other games you own before you decide!”
If you’re willing, though, I think this is a good idea. You’ll probably figure out midway through how you feel.

That’s my suggestion, coming from someone who’s always liked the game. Maybe someone in your boat (wasn’t sure about keeping the game at first) might have a more useful opinion.h

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. I'll finish goblins and play that campaign and then decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Germany
Maintal
Hessen
flag msg tools
Schwarz-weiß wie Schnee
badge
Würstreich
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruehling wrote:
Keep it!

Read this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2263658/redjaks-archived-fi...

It automates the Overlord so you can play the game coop or solo (two heroes).
It's far easier than it looks at first sight and this way I even got my gf playing it with me (she's not that much into boardgames, but enjoyed Descent - the app doesn't do it for me)

Seems you don't care about this at all, but still...

There even is an online version for drawing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless self-promotion: There is also the new Road to Peril coop mode which is essentially an advanced RAMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
While Kindred Fire is okay, and definitely better than RoaG, it still isn't the definitive RtL experience. The missions are kind of just dungeon slogs, base game tiles are boring, and the story is weak and does nothing to expand on Terrinoth lore or setting.

I started the Nerekehall campaign, Seeds of Corruption, again after about a year, and completely forgot the quality of it. It's easily one of the best pieces of Board Gaming I have ever seen. The setting, writing, quest design, everything is top notch. Embers of Dread is good, but not on the level of Seeds of Corruption.

It's actually sad to think about what if RtL was available at launch with content on SoC's level. Things would be a lot different.

All that aside, you can also do all the traditional campaigns with RAOV, but your mileage may vary. Sometimes it's just way too easy because of the lack of intricacies of a real overlord compared to a streamlined AI. However, I've been wanting to try to do a campaign and just give the OL a full class deck from the beginning and see if that evens out the odds.

Then there is a campaign with the Valkyrie App (which is like a 3rd party RtL) that redoes the Shadow Rune campaign with RtL style mechanics. I posted a quick review/impression on that about 2 months ago.

Then, as mentioned, there is Sadgit's Road to Peril expansion which can be played co-op. It's the next generation of the RAOV with heavy influence from RtL. He made his own specific campaign to go along with it, and also made it available for the Heirs of Blood campaign.

Lastly, you have The Delve and The Trials of Frostgate. Both in the RtL app which offer more "side game" experiences. The Delve being a gauntlet of randomly chosen stages, 6 total, and you see if you can make it till the end. It offers 2 difficulties. Then the Frostgate Trials is also a gauntlet style but it stays on 1 map and you see how long you can last. There are 4 trials, and I've only ever done the Bear one which I believe is combat heavy.

So the grand list of playable solo content:

- 4 RtL Campaigns with 2 difficulties (RoaG,EoD, KF, Soc)
- 2 RtL "adventures" (The Delve [2 difficulties and randomization] Trials of Frostgate [4 trials])
- 3 PoD Physical Co-Ops (Nature's Ire, Dark Elements, Forgotten Souls)
- 9 Traditional Campaigns to play against ROAV (some of these are "mini" campaigns)
- 2 Road to Peril Campaigns (HoB [offical] Sands of the Past [fan made])
- 1 Valkyrie Campaign (The Shadow Rune Campaign, which if you don't have an early print of the Base Game is no longer available)

That's a solid line-up. I'm also in the latter half of making my own co-op/solo mini (5 quest) campaign through the official Descent Quest Vault that requires no 3rd party cards or apps. There could be other people working on projects that haven't been announced. There is also something announced that is Descent-related, but not physical 2e content and not 3e. We don't know what that will be, but it could be another digital content that will re-use our miniatures, or just be D2e digital content entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can give you some advice, as I was in a similar situation. I have recently discovered RtL. This is my opinion:

1.I bought a huge box for all my Descent content (I have complete collection) and I recommend you doing the same, so that you have everything in one place. Keep everything organized.

2.If you like light rpg dungeoncrawls, as far as solo play is concerned, THIS IS THE BEST SOLO EXPERIENCE out there. I usually don't play solo board games as I find it a bit bleak. I tried Shadows of Brimstone but it was boring. The only games were good for solo play was Mistfall and Gloomhaven. However, Descent with RtL seems amazing. I played the introductory campaign which serves well as a tutorial and I am 4 quests into Seeds of Corruption - and it's great! Quite deep plot, it seems, important player choices. Stunning.

It's literally hundreds of hours of game play. I hope that I will be able to play some more so that I can write a review of sorts.

Don't get rid of it. Organize it. Play it. It's great.

Although if you didn't like the gameplay of Rise of Goblins, maybe you just don't like the game? In Seeds of Corruption character development is slower and as I play solo with 3 characters I have plenty of diversity but you need to like D2E mechanic to like it, obviously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all scenarios have this "map does X damage to party members" mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Do all scenarios have this "map does X damage to party members" mechanic?

i think the perils are random, when the deadly perils appears it's because you take too long in rooms ,if they start appearing at the end of the dungeon or not at all then you're good

there is also "you lose in 2 rounds" peril which is worse tbh

but if you get some experience(on the game) you never lose because of those

you could also just ignore them if have no experience or want a more casual approach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls