United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first article of the preview series for the game Sanctum, a new game from designer Filip Neduk and published by Czech Games Edition, debuting at Spiel 2019 with a retail launch in February 2020.

The Setting
In ancient times, the legends say, the land was seized by the Demon Lord Malghazar. His infernal minions swarmed across the earth and laid waste to all that humankind had built.

But from the ruins arose great heroes. They battled through the demonic hordes and fought their way to Malghazar himself. Through courage, luck, and raw magical power, they defeated the Demon Lord and sealed him inside the Jade Sarcophagus.

Atop this deathless tomb, the new rulers of the land built a city – a monument to their victory. They wished their city to forever be a safe haven, and so they named it Sanctum.

Peace was restored. Centuries passed. The lands around Sanctum prospered. Malghazar waited.

When all horrors had faded into legends and the Jade Sarcophagus had been forgotten, the throne of Sanctum fell to a king both weak and foolish. King Yurik’s feeble mind was unable to resist Malghazar’s whispers. Though ruler of a bountiful land, Yurik saw visions of even greater power – power that lay buried somewhere beneath his city. And so began the frenzied digging – buildings torn asunder and streets dug up in search of a mad man’s hallucination.

But the vision proved true. King Yurik did find the power. He found it sealed underground, and he broke the seal with his own hands.

The Jade Sarcophagus has been opened.

Gameplay
Sanctum is a competitive epic adventure game for 2 to 4 players. Inspired by hack-and-slash RPG video games, players choose a character and progress through acts where they battle hordes of the Lord of Demons’ minions. As the players progress, they will level up their characters and obtain treasure, culminating in an epic battle against the Demon Lord Malghazar!

During each player’s turn, they will choose one of three actions to perform:

1. Move through the countryside and attract demonic pursuers.
2. Fight demons to gain skills and equipment.
3. Rest and decide how best to use equipment that has been gained.

Move

The Move action progresses a character further along in their journey towards the Demon Lord. The first thing you do is place your miniature into the frontmost empty position on the path. However, as you advance along the path, you attract demons

After moving, demon cards are dealt onto the board from their appropriate decks according to the banner under the space you land on. Demons of the indicated type spawn alone, or in groups of two, with the exception that the first space of each new act spawns five groups of demons all at once!

Here is where the tough decisions begin. After spawning demons, you must take one of the groups from the board and place that group’s demons onto your battle board. But, which demons are you going to choose?

When deciding which demons to engage, there are a number of important things to consider. For example, do you engage several small demons, or one stronger one?

One consideration is the loot type that drops when you defeat a demon. Level 1 demons are easier to kill, so they are not as dangerous, but only drop weaker level 1 items for killing them. Killing the bigger level 2 demon would be much more difficult to do early on, but getting a higher level item is certainly tempting.

There is much more than just the level of the loot (and strength of the demon) to consider hero! The icon at the top left of the card indicates the type of loot that you will obtain. You definitely want to be well-equipped before approaching the Lord of Demons, so you want to diversify the items you receive to hopefully get a full set!

You also need to check the numbers on the dice of each demon...I’ll explain more as we talk about the Fight action, but it gives you a better chance to hit demons if you have a variety of different numbers to target.

Unless of course you have an Item like the one below. We’ll talk in depth about items later, but you will hunt for demons with the number 6 if you have The Stinger as it lets you focus to flip dice to the six face. As you advance, it’s always important to consider what you are capable of doing with your items and skills during future combat as you choose which demons to engage.

Also...this land isn’t exactly friendly. Sure, the other adventurers out there are killing demons and ultimately have the same goal to defeat the Lord of Demons as you do...but you’re not on a team or anything. It might make sense to take that helmet or sword, even if you don’t need it, just to prevent someone else from taking it.

Fight
Now that you’ve chosen the demons you will be fighting, it is time to explain how you are going to defeat them. Before you run off into battle though, it’s important to get ready. At the start of each fight, you can drink any number of potions and use any skills that trigger before rolling the dice. Then, when you are ready --you roll the dice!

To defeat the demons on your battle board, you need to assign them dice with the same values as those printed on the demon’s cards. At the start of the game you begin with only two dice, but you’ll grow stronger and gain more dice to roll...if you survive.

If you hit a demon, but haven’t rolled all of the dice needed to kill it, don’t worry. The damage will carry-over, and next time it should be easier to kill the infernal creature. But also beware. Any surviving demons you haven’t killed will deal damage to you at the end of combat. Count the amount of blood drops on surviving demons to get the amount of damage you have to prevent to avoid getting any wounds.

You may be thinking that combat seems like a ton of luck, and you would be correct if there wasn’t more to it! Keep watch on the Czech Games Edition Facebook page and Sanctum BGG page next week for our second sneak preview where we’ll be talking about all the ways you can mitigate luck with Items and Rage, Leveling up after combat, and what Skills are at your disposal in combat.

We’ll also go through perhaps the most important action you can take in your journey...the Rest action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sold already. If this is on sale at Essen, how soon can we get it in the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be in the US in February, but we should have some at BGG and PAX Unplugged as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerGoble1 wrote:
It should be in the US in February, but we should have some at BGG and PAX Unplugged as well!
Crap. Cardhaus said/says Oct 31 so I ordered it over a month ago. Now it's holding other games hostage, including Tapestry. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, this is a little reminiscent of the "D-Day at..." series of games where combat resolution is heavily dependent on whether your troops have the right equipment for the job at hand. Like David, I'm sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sold on the box art tbh. To find out that it has gameplay to match the expectations of being like a certain ARPG is gravy. This was the only game I'dve been willing to mule from Essen, but no avenues to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christian JC
France
CARNON
flag msg tools
mbmb
No solo play? No campaign mode ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jesper rathsach
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Grob34 wrote:
No solo play? No campaign mode ?

yeah, hoping for an official solo variant as well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Esslingen am Neckar
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Not quite a lot.

For saying that "theres more to consider", there really isnt.
The only decision to be made is, what loot do i want and can i beat it.
Thats it. And the latter part of that is based on luck.
Not really any meat to the game then.

No points for the player killing a monster (=if you kill more demons you can gather a lot of points but reach the boss later?)

No way to collect a set of monster types for more points?

No secret missions or milestones for playerpoints? (kill most enemies, reach a certain point on the board first, complete a set of equipment etc.)

No way to use monsters to your advantage and against other players OR the other way around, cooperate with players to achieve something together(Munchkin-Style)?

It rather seems a bit blant in that regard.
I further dont see where that mechanic of killing monsters is bound into the greater goal of killing the endboss.
I mean yes, you obtain loot to fight that boss, but there is no choice to be had anyway.
And without any choice, there is no game, just streamlined progression.

For example if the one reaching the boss sooner was getting an edge on it compared to the other players because more time to fight it, even if being weaker, while being stronger might earn more because you deal most damage.

The game has quite a lot of similarities with Munchkin actually, without the depth of Munchkin and that means quite a lot, because i wouldnt consider Munchkin to be a strategically deep game with a lot of options.
Yet it seems to have more options.

At last its hard to judge not having access to the rulebook yet, but while technically im really interested because fighting monsters and looting, im super sceptical on the gamedesign in total.
It appears incredibly flat in general, but even more when compared to alternatives.
Which means the only appeal it then has remaining is its style. Which isnt enough to pull it out the shelf to play.

The competition on a dungeon diver with looting is tough enough, even if this one is competitive (only, not even semi-cooperative), i cant see a lot going for it.
And thats coming from someone craving for a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoodenKing wrote:
Not quite a lot.

Thanks for following along Phil, and for taking the time to comment! You're leaving out such a huge part of the game (namely because we haven't shared it yet whistle). A decent amount of what you're missing out on is the resource management side of the game...it has to do with the color of the demons, and the gems found on the top-right of each card.

Also the huge amount of mitigation based on items and skills that really makes the latter part of combat have little to do with luck.

There are definitely tough decisions to be made in Sanctum (even before those that must be made during the boss fight ). A lot will be shared within the next few weeks as the game debuts at Essen --and in our upcoming Sneak Preview #2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoodenKing wrote:
The game has quite a lot of similarities with Munchkin actually, without the depth of Munchkin and that means quite a lot, because i wouldnt consider Munchkin to be a strategically deep game with a lot of options.

Do you often complain about the lack of plot in a novel after reading only the first paragraph?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Futterer
Germany
Brunnthal
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit like "One deck dungeon". So if I played that game I can expect a similar game play feelig of Sanctum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Esslingen am Neckar
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
WoodenKing wrote:

Do you often complain about the lack of plot in a novel after reading only the first paragraph?
Yeah, its easy to push the fault on only a partial publication on those who criticize it isnt it?
I rate what i see.
What they have shown doesnt show a lot of complexity and depth.
Even that small part already shown leaves quite something to be desired.
That they havent even shared the rulebook let alone a complete presentation of the game only 10 days before its release is far from my fault.
One could also interprete it as "they dont have to show a lot, so they have to stretch the presentation and let it appear more than it is."
Whether thats what it is, is to be seen. But i have certainly seen it done often enough.

Dont get me wrong, im interested still and i yet havent deleted it from my Wishlist, but as of now, i expect more from it.
If you get catched so easily then thats your freaking problem.
Maybe i can judge a plot on the first paragraph, dont take your inability to do something as a general rule of inability for all other human beings please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoodenKing wrote:
I rate what i see.
What they have shown doesnt show a lot of complexity and depth.

FFS, literally it says "Part #1" in the Subject Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Esslingen am Neckar
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
You dont get it, do you?
My whole comment also only judged that exact part 1.
Not hard to get isnt it?

Besides that, i take other infos into account. Like Playtester experiences from previous conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Esslingen am Neckar
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
LoreChase wrote:
WoodenKing wrote:
Not quite a lot.

Thanks for following along Phil, and for taking the time to comment! You're leaving out such a huge part of the game (namely because we haven't shared it yet whistle). A decent amount of what you're missing out on is the resource management side of the game...it has to do with the color of the demons, and the gems found on the top-right of each card.

Also the huge amount of mitigation based on items and skills that really makes the latter part of combat have little to do with luck.

There are definitely tough decisions to be made in Sanctum (even before those that must be made during the boss fight ). A lot will be shared within the next few weeks as the game debuts at Essen --and in our upcoming Sneak Preview #2!
Looking forward to it and thanks for the reply.
The resource management and the part outside of the combat with standard demons is in fact my remaining hope to find more to do and depth to the gameplay (especially how the Bosses work out).
Playtesters experiences indicate though, that there isnt much more to expect in regards to interaction between players, which would be a bit irritating and sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoodenKing wrote:
You dont get it, do you?

Judging from the reactions to your comment, I get it much better than you do.

Quote:

That's why I asked if you often review the plot of a novel based on the first paragraph. You haven't answered the question yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Esslingen am Neckar
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
WoodenKing wrote:
You dont get it, do you?

Judging from the reactions to your comment, I get it much better than you do.

Quote:

That's why I asked if you often review the plot of a novel based on the first paragraph. You haven't answered the question yet.

You contradict your comment here, thats incredible.
You get my comment more than i do, way to act arrogant, then showing in the very next sentence you didnt.
Applause to you. Reread what you quoted, then think very vey hard about it before replying the same unrelated nonsense.

Cant see how i hurt your feelings when talking about the game, but somehow i did and it was enough reason for you to attack me.

I explain it again carefully and very slowly:
They released this snippet of the gameplay, i read it and already saw a few issues with it (mentioned and explained in my longer comment in detail).
Most (90%) of the comment focusses ENTIRELY on THIS Part 1 snippet and its presentation.
Not the entire game.
The rest (10%) of the comment includes infos from other contexts that i have gathered about the game. Thats providing a bit of context to the rest (90%) that is focussed about the part 1.

So already this part 1 left something to be desired and whether the game can deliver on the desired parts is to be seen.

What you confuse here, is that i havent made my mind about it and my comment is no review or final judgement of any sorts.
What seemed hard for you to understand, is that its actually possible to judge parts of a work, not just the whole work or parts of something you see and not just the whole thing.
That happened here. But maybe you just interpreted more into it, than was meant to be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoodenKing wrote:
Not quite a lot.

That's a real stretch just to crap on a game you barely know about in a thread of people excited to know more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between what people have said and what the questions about the game in the contest indicate my interest has been thoroughly murdered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a week this game will be released on essen... and yet we have no rulebook, no gameplay video... NOTHING!

The gameplay looks dull and boring and i have no clue how to win/game ends.

And from videos from past times, looks like this game was in development hell for quite some time.

This game may be really really bad about rolling dice and whatever.
Or this game may be amazing fun... i dont know yet, i am interested in discovering but at this point in time, there is too many good new games to buy so i dont think i can invest much more on this project... i hope i am wrong and this game proves to be fun... or at least better than the marketing that we are getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
In a week this game will be released on essen... and yet we have no rulebook, no gameplay video... NOTHING!

You have a very different way of looking at things than I do. Apparently what whets my interest and yours are completely different. That's ok. Sounds like you should just wait. Nothing wrong with that. Are you even going to be at Essen to buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this video helpful, though it was from 4 months ago so things may have changed.

https://youtu.be/glEcZCfJMDo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the videos that i found looks really outdated i think.

And no, i will not be at essen but my brother is there to buy me some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |