United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Short Version

What is it?
A huge gift exchange involving you and other BGGers local to the MSP area!

How does it work?
You spend at least $50USD on a board game gift for a random other BGGer somewhere else in the Cities. A different random BGGer spends at least $50USD on a board game gift for you.

Awesome! How do I join?
Read the rules below - then register at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/join/531

The Long Version

Official Secret Santa Rules
This is a LOCAL/NO SHIP exchange for the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. All users participating must be willing to meet at the designated time/location to exchange gifts or find a proxy that is able to assist them. The time/date/location of the exchange has yet to be determined.

EXCHANGE RULES:
1. First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will be banned from subsequent exchanges.

2. You have until 11:59pm (CST), November 1st to sign up.

3. Keep your profile's Wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your Wishlist.

Please try to have at least ten currently available and affordable games on your list. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist, then your Santa will use their best guess at getting you something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4. When it comes to gifting, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's Wishlist. The total cost of the gift should be at least $50 USD.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. And you will make it truly special if you are able to personalize the gift somehow.

6. This is intended to be an enriching experience, not a stressful one. So the most important rule is HAVE FUN!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:

-------------------

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you DO NOT WANT to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong for other participants.

If you were one of those saintly geeks last year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you! If you were someone who had a replacement Santa step in and save Christmas for you, share your experience here to inspire others to do the same this year!

And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you, too! If you would like to BOTH sign up for Secret Santa normally AND also fill in as a replacement Santa, sign up normally and I will put out a call for additional replacement Santas when they are needed.

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints in this thread. Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address each and every concern you have.

Here is to closing out the BGG year with three months of holiday cheer!

Helpful Links:

How to add games to your Wishlist
BGG Secret Santa 2019 Wishlist and Letter to Santa advise thread
Help international Santas buy gifts for targets in your home country/region
Secret Santa meta-list
2018 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa Sent Me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: Saturday December 7, 2019
Time: TBD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're already up to half of our total from last year after just a couple days of registration being open, and several of the registrants are new this year! That's great!

Any thoughts on date/location preferences? My initial preference would be to do it the same weekend we did last year (which would be Saturday December 14), that way we aren't getting too close to the holiday weekend before Christmas (for example, I'll be out of town starting Saturday the 21st flying to New York).

If this ends up blowing up with a bunch of participants, I may be forced to cap it early so that we have a final headcount to use when searching out a venue.

Along those same lines, any recommendations for a location? Chris Hajny's art gallery last year was fantastic, but if we end up with a ton of people, it may not be viable (assuming of course it isn't already booked and that Chris would even be willing to offer it up again in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec. 14 works for me.

I don't have any brilliant ideas for a venue. I loved the art gallery, but get your fears about group size. Not sure what the deal with the FFGC event space is, but also doubt we'll have a group THAT large. Maybe toss the idea out to the larger centrally located game stores (sorry folks, Eagan is not central) and see if anyone is willing to host.

Anyone live in a condo complex with a community room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hajny
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
--- Light Grey Art Lab --- Gallery - Minneapolis, MN http://lightgreyartlab.com
badge
Skulls 'N' Slime
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I’m just getting settled into a 3 week trip in Asia and saw this event was being planned. I’m happy with whatever location is decided, but depending on the date we could offer up Light Grey Art Lab again.

I wouldn’t worry about space too much, we kept it contained to that one room last year, but we were only taking up about 1/3 of the total space -there’s a much bigger and more open side of the gallery as well, which we could expand into so long as it doesn’t conflict with any existing events.

Feel free to stop by and check it out, and if we can choose a firm date or two I’ll talk with Jenny, the gallery manager, who is master scheduler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I overextended my gaming budget buying stuff at the Level Up store closing sales. whistle I can't participate at a $50 level this year.

If there were a thrifty SS exchange, I would definitely do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
I overextended my gaming budget buying stuff at the Level Up store closing sales. whistle I can't participate at a $50 level this year.

I have no problem with this exchange being updated to a lower threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:

I didn't post in an effort to get this exchange to change.
I posted just in case there are like-minded people and one of them wanted to create a thrifty exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:

I posted just in case there are like-minded people and one of them wanted to create a thrifty exchange.

I get it. I guess I just don't want to see two different exchanges arise and feel torn between the two. I'm in for local fun, not to receive a pricey gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:

I get it. I guess I just don't want to see two different exchanges arise and feel torn between the two. I'm in for local fun, not to receive a pricey gift.

I wonder if those who don't want to do Secret Santa proper could still come to the event and there could be a $20 ($10? $5?) exchange table (a smaller gift, drop one take one) without a specific recipient in mind. Or maybe space for a used game exchange for anyone who wanted to participate (set up so it's not a dumping ground for stuff). I certainly think that something could be dreamed up that would be fun for all without completely changing Josh's system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
jabooty3 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:

Agreed. Typically the Thrifty Secret Santa places a maximum spend amount on the total gift, not a minimum spend, right? What amount is usually set?

We can always run a poll and see if the majority would rather do a regular one or a cheaper thrifty one. Much like Chris, I'm doing the exchange for local fun. Otherwise I'd just spend the $25 or $50 or $100 or whatever on getting a couple games for myself (or new power tools... whistle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
So...
If a thrifty exchange is combined with the main exchange, I propose a White Elephant type of exchange. I am with jabooty in just wanting an excuse to have a holiday party that involves board games.

For those who don't know what a White Elephant is:
The White Elephant exchanges I've been involved in have had the following rules:
* bring a wrapped gift, may be a gag gift all the way to something purchased
* all gifts are placed on a central table
* in a random order, one person at a time picks a gift:
*** the gift picked may be any gift already opened, or a still wrapped gift
*** if an opened gift is chosen, the person who was stolen from now picks a new gift, which cannot be the one stolen
*** opened gifts stay with the person who picked them
* once the last gift is unwrapped the exchange is over

For this exchange, I don't have a problem with changing the rules to disallow gag gifts and set some sort of minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
So...
If a thrifty exchange is combined with the main exchange, I propose a White Elephant type of exchange. I am with jabooty in just wanting an excuse to have a holiday party that involves board games.

The White Elephant exchanges I've been involved in have had the following rules:
*** if an opened gift is chosen, the person who was stolen from now picks a new gift, which cannot be the one stolen

For this exchange, I don't have a problem with changing the rules to disallow gag gifts and set some sort of minimum.

A White Elephant exchange could be fun, and you wouldn't have to participate in the regular Secret Santa event if you didn't want to. We could just have a separate list of participants for it outside of the actual Secret Santa. Agreed it would need a loose set of rules (no gag gifts, $XXX maximum, actual game rather than a bag of empty ziploc baggies and random cubes, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
So...

A White Elephant exchange could be fun, and you wouldn't have to participate in the regular Secret Santa event if you didn't want to. We could just have a separate list of participants for it outside of the actual Secret Santa. Agreed it would need a loose set of rules (no gag gifts, $XXX maximum, actual game rather than a bag of empty ziploc baggies and random cubes, etc).

Plans dashed. Who wouldn't want a box of baggies, and Gloomhaven health counters. And old Altiplano cardboard chits. And Chip Theory non-premium health chips.

Okay, okay, I can probably find something actually fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
So...

Plans dashed. Who wouldn't want a box of baggies, and Gloomhaven health counters. And old Altiplano cardboard chits. And Chip Theory non-premium health chips.

Okay, okay, I can probably find something actually fun.

Or even better, a fancy 3D printed insert for a game you don't own! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Warren
United States
Otsego
MN
flag msg tools
I'm trying to use BGG more(I really wish they had a more usable mobile app). But I'm glad I noticed this event when I did. I'm totally down for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Soerens
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HumanAffectation wrote:
I'm trying to use BGG more(I really wish they had a more usable mobile app). But I'm glad I noticed this event when I did. I'm totally down for this!

Same here! This will be my official first Secret Santa event on BGG - thought about joining the "official" BGG one last year, and was leaning towards finally doing it this year, but then saw this local one and jumped on board cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has a date been decided?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanguru wrote:
HumanAffectation wrote:

Same here! This will be my official first Secret Santa event on BGG - thought about joining the "official" BGG one last year, and was leaning towards finally doing it this year, but then saw this local one and jumped on board cool

Do both. The site-wide exchange has options to limit your recipient's location to make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Has a date been decided?

I didn't see any major opposition to December 14, so let's go with that date since December 7 will be the TCAT Day at FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria S
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanguru wrote:
HumanAffectation wrote:

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle :)
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d be in for a white elephant! I personally would like it if it wasn’t JUST for games (so at least 1 game must be included, but you can add other stuff as well - maybe food, game bits, bags, geeky stuff, etc) - mainly because this sort of event in my mind is all about variety and having fun with it.

Though for “no gag gifts” - how do we determine what is considered a gag gift when it comes to games? Like, Monopoly is the stereotype. What about CAH? Or that Smiley Face game that I keep hearing about around here?

Also - would the white elephant game(s) need to be NIS or could we offer up a thrift find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aethubryn wrote:
I’d be in for a white elephant! I personally would like it if it wasn’t JUST for games (so at least 1 game must be included, but you can add other stuff as well - maybe food, game bits, bags, geeky stuff, etc) - mainly because this sort of event in my mind is all about variety and having fun with it.

Though for “no gag gifts” - how do we determine what is considered a gag gift when it comes to games? Like, Monopoly is the stereotype. What about CAH? Or that Smiley Face game that I keep hearing about around here?

Also - would the white elephant game(s) need to be NIS or could we offer up a thrift find?

That's all the stuff that needs to be ironed out.

The whole "no gag gift" was more for other random stuff that gets tossed into a typical White Elephant exchange. When participating in normal White Elephant exchanges, I personally go to thrift stores and look for the most awkward looking and obscure vinyl record from 40 years ago that I can find and give that.

This one would need to be gaming related. But beyond including a game (I think thrifted games are perfectly fine - honestly they'd probably be encouraged for a White Elephant - as long as they're playable and the box is in decent condition), sure add extra stuff too.

I just think someone would be annoyed if they ended up getting only a baggie of various colored wooden cubes. But if they got a copy of Scene It or 1980s Trivial Pursuit, along with that bag of cubes (or a totally off the wall 500 piece puzzle), it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I just think someone would be annoyed if they ended up getting only a baggie of various colored wooden cubes. But if they got a copy of Scene It or 1980s Trivial Pursuit, along with that bag of cubes (or a totally off the wall 500 piece puzzle), it's all good.

As someone who ran ChitChat's "BOB" white elephant Christmas exchange for a number of years, I can say that these work best when the group is of like-minded people. Our first couple BOB exchanges were composed of a smaller group of similar-humor-oriented individuals who interacted a lot together down in ChitChat. The fun we had was infectious, and by the third year we had people signing up based on its reputation alone, and that proved a disaster. They did not share the same sense of humor and some found the gifts either vastly underwhelming, thoroughly disappointing, or actually insulting.

So set clear expectations from the start. In your example, above, I'd be thoroughly happy with those cubes, and very disappointed in Scene It. If this "other" exchange will revolve around a potentially-random thrifted game, not a new one, or even a "modern" one, be sure to be clear about that. If expectations are correctly set, then no one gets "hurt". kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |