Nap George
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my first go round of “The White Tribe,” Ben Madison’s game of Zimbabwe’s trip from Rhodesia to today where we attempt to best history. I have mixed feelings about this game, representing a system which is anathema to me personally, but also presiding of the transition of that system to whatever is next. The goal is to better than just ending up with Mugabe.

This first play through will be like stumbling around a dark room, I do not know the long term effects of the decisions I will be making, but learn from doing, so here goes…

Rhodesia Herald (RH) – 3 – SA shake-up flip to red, terror +1, SoF population +8, Beira airstrike occurs on a roll of 6 Tories take control and terror to 1, CB Dam Portuguese lose Tete control, Outrage no effect.

Tories maintain control in British elections. No Rhodesian election. Botswana remains Brit ruled.
$12 income earned, $4 spent (balance now $8), Public Spending: RF popularity +3 to +4.

$5 (balance now $3) spend to buy off Muzorewa succeeds to collaborator box.

No policy.

Chimurenga phase: Raise Grey’s Scouts (balance $1), deploy to Victoria. ZAPU unit to Zambia, moves to Matabeleland, terrorist slips through handshake turns to fist.

ZAPU vs RLI in Matabeleland, RHAF+2 flies support, a roll of 1 converts to a 3 forcing a ZAPU retreat to Zambia.
US Congressional elections no change. End of year.

Rhodesia Herald – Commonwealth Conference – no change, Zambia factions ZAPU removed, Sino-Sov split, Cabora Bassa Dam Portugal Control, Outrage – no effect.

Politics – no elections, Botswana remains British rule.

Commerical phase: $11 (actuall $15, forgot global trade) +1 balance to 12. $1 to refuel RHAF.

Policy review: Land Tenure Act (since there is only one province not cooperating and no terror units on the map, we will try to take this action so we can make it go away.) Bill passes – barely – on a 2, even the RF sees that it will cause problems within the state. Damaging, but not fatal, now to try to build some goodwill.

Chimurenga phase: $4 to build 2 and 3 RAR, deployed to Mashonaland and Matabeleland. (down to $8), RLI and BSAP not rearmed. ZANU to Mocambique and Tete where the Portuguese control pins them. No terrs in Rhodesia, fireforce raid into Tete, eliminating the terr unit there.

Cosmopolitics phase: none

Rhodesia Herald: Drought, Atrocity – black schoolchildren kidnapped (Chitepo), Air Rhodesia, ZANU factionalism – terr elim, Cabora Bassa Dam – Tete not Portuguese controlled, Tribalism-no effect, Radio/TV-no effect.

Politics: British rule remains in Botswana.

Commercial phase: $9+13=16 (any above 16 lost, tactical error, should have tried to corrupt Chitepo last turn.) Refuel RHAF ($15), buy off Chitepo ($10)- talks do not get off ground ($15),

Policy: Exercise Alcora ($10) passes again on a 2, at this point I noted that the SA marker was on the wrong side and I corrected this to green side, I do not think the lost income had an effect as I was able to do everything I had wanted to this point.

Chimurenga phase: Rearm RLI all troopies. ($5). Infiltration of two terr in Matabeleland, both attakcs fail, fireforce raid with RLI on one terr eliminates it.

Cosmopolitics – US Presidential election, Republican win, Kissinger to Rhodesia. Terr unit in Matabeleland raises terror level to +3.

Rhodesia Herald: SA shake up – flip terror raised, Drought, Sino Sov split terror lowered, Sanctions, Cabora Bassa Dam Portuguese control of Tete, Outrage no effect, British Election Labour victory no change.

Politics phase: British rule ends in Botswana.

Commercial phase: 12+5=16. Refuel RhAF, ($15)

Policy – Spirit Mediums, passage fails, government dissolved. Election ($13) still landslide RF win. We take the inaction penalty on the policy, which has no effect since RF popularity is at maximum.

Chimurenga phase: Rearm and deploy RLI and 2 and 3 RAR. Portuguese control pins terr units. Grupos Especials eliminates on ZANU terr, Fireforce raid into Mocambique with RLI eliminates another.

Cosmopolitics phase: none. Quiet year, tried to implement a liberal reform, but could not get it passed. Want to use it, Spirit Mediums, to flip Matabeleleand and Mashonaloand back to cooperative, handshake status. May instead wait until another province or two turn and try to use it then to influence them into cooperating. I am not doing a good job of spending available money, but have few options, everything is purchased. I could attempt to turn Chitepo, but he is expensive and it is early to do so, as an atrocity can flip them out of collaboration.

Rhodesia Herald: Tory Conference no effect, Sino Sov split terror reduced, British Elections labour win no effect, Soldier of fortune population to max and rising, Operation Senekal UK to green terror down to 2, Outrage for raid into Mocambique by RhAF and RLI so US and UK to red and terror to 4.

Politics: SA elections no change.

Commercial phase: $13+12 = 16. Refuel RhAF ($15). Attempt to buy off Chitepo ($10) successful on a 6+1!

Policy Review: Proclaim Republic! Attempt liberal constitution fails, government dissolves. We do not pay to advertise but still roll a 12 an RF landslide results. We attempt to pass a liberal constitution again, rolling a six (-1 for RF party split, a 5)and succeeding (changing history, I hope), RF down to +4, Population down to 260K, RF party split.

Chimurenga phase: Rearm 3 troopies ($7), terr units to Zambia, Botswana, Mocambique and Tete! Grupos Especials eliminated (I had forgotten to eliminate on other AF rolls, but had the money to raise them so net effect on this game was none, will eliminate in future). Two ZANU eliminated. In Matabeleland SAP 2 eliminated in battle, as is SAS. Fireforce raid with RLI into Matabeleland eliminates ZANU terr, leaving the ZAPU terr in place.

Cosmopolitics phase: US Congressional no change. Terror level to 5 for ZAPU unit in Matabeleland.

Mixed bag for that turn. Passed a liberal constitution with some really lucky die rolls, but had three units eliminated in combat and ZAPU terrs running rampant in one province.

Rhodesia Herald: Tory Conference no effect, Sino Sov split terror to 4, British election Labour win not effect, Soldier of fortune pop to 300K, Operation Senekal UK to Green, Outrage UK back to red, terror to 5.

Politics phase: no effect

Commercial phase: 12+7=16. Refuel RhAF (15)

Policy review: Law and Order passes protected villages established and Sealous scouts to force pool. I thought about inaction taking the drop in RF popularity as allowing us to pass more liberal reforms next year, but the presence of ZAPU in Matabeleland has me cautious – I think I just made a major error.

Chimurenga phase: SAP 2 and Flechas raised (13), SAS and Sealous Scouts raised (2). Terr to Zambia, Mocabique and Tete (starting to accumulate there, cross border raid was to Tete, guessed wrong Mocambique would have been more effective). ZAPU to Matebeleland and Midlands flipping Midlands to a fist! (disaster). Tete is cleared, Mocambique eliminates another ZANU, ZAPU in Matebeleland retreats on a 1 (ugh), ZAPU in Midlands eliminated but damage done. (May have to try and pass Spirit Mediums next turn, should have taken inaction on Law and Order Policy this turn. We have opted for violence, should have turned to rapprochement this turn.) Fireforce raid to Mocambique since we have chosen the fist RhAF and Sealous Scouts 2 eliminate another ZANU.

Cosmopolitics: Midlands flipped to handshake side ($1 left) and moved to protected villages.

Not a very successful turn, managed to turn Midlands back to cooperation with a protected village, but next flip to fist is a permanent one. Time is starting to run out faster.

Rhodesia Herald: Drought, Atrocity Assassination (Sithole – in prison, no effect), Air Rhodesia, ZANU factionalism all eliminated, CB Dam no Port control, Tribalism no effect, Radio/TV.

Politics Phase: Nada

Commercial Phase: (1+12=13, first year below maximum in a while). Refuel RhAF (12).

Policy Phase: Détente attempt to implement roll a 5 it passes.

Chimurenga phase: Rearm 13 points of troops, cash to 0. Terr 3 to Tete, 1 to Moc, 1 to Bots. Battles: Moc – Grupos Esp destroyed by ZANU. Matabeleland ZAPU forced to retreat by SAP2 and Sealous 2. Mashonaland, more Terrs than units by 2, so one will survive. Here goes, SAP1 destroyed by ZANU, RLI destroyed by ZANU (I keep rolling 1’s, time to change dice), Fireforce raid with SAS eliminating the ZANU who cannot retreat, but damaging the RhAF. Horrible round of combat.

Cosmopolitics: US elections: Republicans win terror level decreases, ZANU unit eliminated in Masonaland to raise terror by 1. Spent all my money so I cannot move one fist to a protected village and handshake side, bad decision.

1973:

Rhodesia Herald: Coup in Portugal, Coup rumors Tanzania-no effect, Tam Zam railway, Communist Subversion, $4 gift.

Politics phase: no effect

Commercial Phase: (11+4=15). Refuel and upgrade RhAF (12).

Policy Review: Spend (11) to revive Spirit Medium policy, fails, government falls. New house is a 6. Reintroduce Spirit Medium policy, passes on a 4. Spend to try to flip each province from fist to handshake (9) Mashonaland to handshake and Matabeleland to handshake (success!).

Chimurenga phase: Purchase both Renamo and SAP 1(8), spend 7 to rearm SAS and Sealous 2. ($2 remains). Terr deployment (7 total), two fours and all other numbers once, concentric attack, they are coming for us. Mixed results from combat even after a successful Fireforce raid, Manicaland and Matabeleland have surviving terrs.

Cosmopolitics: Manicaland and Matebeleland flipped to fists. Manicaland fist flipped to handshake in protected village ($1 left).

A lot of effort spent, lost the RLI and a RENAMO unit, repulsed invaders in Mashonaland, terr unit remains in Matabeleland and terror level is at 7. State of siege.

Rhodesia Herald: Drought population to 280K, Atrocity White farmers targeted by Nkomo population to 275K, Zambia faction feud (godsend, eliminated the terr in Matabeleland and Botswana), Church State friction RF to +1 (also a good outcome), ZANU factionalism both ZANU gone, leaving a ZAPU in Zambia (I had mistakenly retreated it to Tete in the end of turn photo previously, just corrected that), Outrage (no effect, no Rhodesian units outside of home borders).

Politics phase: SA election no change, calling for Rhodesian elections hoping to get a better liberal presence so we can pass the Land Tenure Amendment which is this turn’s policy, election results in a 3, a solid liberal presence. (Almost lost the game, one lower and game is lost on a result of 2 or less. RF popularity to -1).

Commercial Phase: (10+1=11). Sanctions busting (-3+2 = 10, fail). Refuel RhAF (9).

Policy Phase: Land Tenure Amendment passes. RF to -3.

Chimurenga Phase: RENAMO (8), Rearm seven units ($1 left), terrs placed and move handshake results eliminates terr in Mashonaland and Manicaland. Most terrs repulsed, Fireforce raid successful.

Cosmopolitics phase: US Congressional no change, ZANU unit in Mashonaland flips province to fist.
Spend to move Matabeleland fist to handshake in protected village (treasury to $0)

Rhodesia Herald: Drought pop to 265K, Atrocity Civilian plane shot down pop to 260K by Mugabe terr to 7. Factions feud Zambia ZAPU unit eliminated, Church state friction RF popularity to -4, ZANU factionalism ZANU unit eliminated, Outrage no effect. (Not bad, no terrs on the map, but seven will appear due to high terror level.

Politics phase: None, dare not call a Rhodesian election, will result in a game loss most likely.

Commercial phase: (11+0=11, sanctions busting -3+4=12). Calm morale (11) I think I missed this step previously, but I also missed income when the Tories flipped so it is probably a wash. Need to pay better attention as I work through the turn sequence. Refuel and upgrade RhAF (9). I would like to try collaboration here, but do not have the funds since I want to keep one dollar in reserve in case Victoria flips to fist, need to rearm three units and replace an SAP unit which is four more. That leaves me four, which I will need if the Land Tenure act I intend to pass fails and and election is called, I will need the money to keep the RF viable or lose the game to a low die roll and anarchy. Wheels within wheels, but no collaboration attempt this turn.

Policy Review Phase: Spend for visionary leadership (8), reaching one year forward to pass the Integration act. Need to roll a 3 or higher (need a 2 to pass, but the die adjusts -1 due to RF Party split. A 4 converts to a 3) bill passes. (At this point I am not sure what happens with the policy chits. I will move the chit – Pearce Commission which was on 1975 and flip it with Integration which was on 1976.) Mashonaland to handshake, very nice results.

Chimurenga Phase: Raise 3rd RAR (6), Raise SAP 1 (5), Deploy 4 troopies. (1). Deploy 7 terrs 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 4, 6. RENAMO splits winning Tete losing Moc. 4 terrs in Matabeleland and two in Victoria. Handshake – Victoria to fist Matabeleland to fist permanently (rolled two 1’s). Combat: 3 RAR elim, Greys Scouts drives off one terr. SAS elim, SAP 2 drives off one terr. Fireforce to Victoria secures the province.

Cosmopolitics phase: Spend 1 ($0 remains) to place Victoria into protected village with handshake status.

Rhodesia Herald: Coup in Portugal moot, Drought pop to 252K, ZANU factionalism one ZANU eliminated, Rampages no effect, British Election labour win terror remains at 7, Radio/TV RF to -3, Outrage no effect.

Politics Phase: no effect. I have to plan the policy phase carefully, we cannot afford to have a snap election for failing to pass a policy and we skew towards liberal, so may have to reach into the future three turns to put forth African Advancement (not ready for Quenet Commission yet and it cannot be played before 1977, too early and not enough VP’s for a better result than history. African Advancement adds VP’s. Also need to find money to add another leader to the collaborator box, but need to rejuvenate the military also. Lots of conflicting demands for limited resources…)

Commercial Phase: ($9+1=10, sanctions busting -3+5=12, that was helpful.) Pop to 245K, do not want to spend $1 to bolster national morale resources too damn tight. Passing on spending to improve RF popularity (may regret that) or to move population marker to “Up” side. Refuel RhAF (10). Not enough cash to try to create a collaborator.

Policy phase: Reaching 3 turns ahead to try African Advancement (7), moving Pearce Commission to 1979. African Advancement will cost $5 immediately and $3 per turn, so our military efforts will decrease accordingly, would be nice to get sanctions lifted….

Here goes, this is an RF party split so a roll of 3 is required to enact, fails on a roll of one, snap election.

Paying $2 (5) to keep die roll at -3 (RF popularity at -3), need a roll of 6 or better or it all falls apart. A 6 results in a 3, and now I have to decide if we will try to reimplement African advancement. If we succeed, we have no money to raise troops, but have a better shot at victory in the end, if we fail it will probably all fall down in the snap election, if we take inaction we lose a major block of victory but suffer no short term effects as terror is already at +7 and cannot grow.

We will take the chance, African Advancement is reintroduced and fails on a 2 modified to 1. Snap election, paying $2 (3 left) to keep RF at -3, must again roll a 6 or better, a 12 is rolled, house assembly flips to a 9, RF to -2. At this point the white minority has spoken putting the RF in a landslide position again. We chose inaction on African Advancement, terror level already at +7 so no effect there. I think any chance for a better than historic result just departed. Short term we will be able to pass conservative bills, which do not help our long term goals but make the short term policy choices easy if not advantageous. So damn close to real progress, undone by the voters in the guise of fate by the dice.

Chimurenga phase: $1 to resurrect RENAMO 1, $2 to deploy Sealous 2 and Grey’s Scouts. Four units to Midlands, one unit of SP 2 in each of the outer provinces. Terrs 2,2,3,5,6,6,6. Renamo 2 eliminated. Five ZAMU enter Mashonaland opposed by Grey’s Scouts. 2 ZAPU to Midlands opposed by BSAP, SAP1 and both Sealous Scouts, one ZAPU stuck by SAP2 in Matabeleland as two more ZAPU enter. Mashonaland flips to fist at no cost to terr, one ZAPU eliminated in Midlands by handshake. Greys Scouts repulse one ZAMU in Mashonaland, four remain. SAP2 repulses on ZAPU in Matabeleland, two remain. Sealous Scouts2 eliminate the remaining ZAPU in Midlands. Fireforce raid by Sealous Scouts 1 eliminate a ZAMU in Mashonaland. Very rough turn, surrounded and beset with a reactionary House of Assembly.

Cosmopolitics phase: US election to Democrats, Carter to Global Trade box, more money gone, no sanctions busting. Looking grim. No money to use protected villages, Corsan not available, African Advancement a long gone dream.

Rhodesia Herald: Coup in Portugal moot, Drought pop to 232K, ZANU factionalism, 2 ZANU eliminated. Rampages no effect. (At this point I noticed that I had failed to move the ZAPU in Zambia last turn, I rolled for it and it ended up in Matabeleland which has no effect except leaving three ZAPU units there at the end of the turn. The picture at the end of last turn does not reflect this, but the board does now.) British election labour win no change, Radio/TV RF pop to -2, Outrage no effect.

Politics Phase: SA election no change, no other actions.

Commercial Phase: $5. We will probably concede the outer provinces, raise enough forces to stick the ZAPU in Matabeleland thereby protecting Midlands and ride out the year as best we can. Rereading the rules we can sanctions bust and at this point it is a gamble to take (5-3+6=8, so that went well). RhAF refueled (6).

Policy phase: We will attempt to pass Corsan, passing on a roll of 6. Corsan construction markers emplaced (4), RF to 0.

Chimurenga phase: Rearm 3 and deploy 3 troopies (Sealous 1 and 2 and Grey’s Scouts) (1). Terrs 2,4,5,5,5,6,6. RENAMO eliminated in Tete, 6 terr to Mashonaland, Matabeleland ends with 4 ZAPU, Manicaland gets 2 ZAMU, one repelled by handshake. Combat: Sealous 1 eliminated in Mashonaland, RAR2 eliminated in Manicaland, in Matabeleland Grey’s repulused one, SAP2 eliminated, BSAP eliminated, SAP1 eliminated. Carnage. Fireforce raid on Mashonaland eliminates one terr.

Cosmopolitics: Manicaland to permanent fist, Construct Corsan in Manicaland (treasury to 0)

Rhodesia Herald: Coup/FICO no effect Port control not present, SA Shake up no change, Commonwealth Conf no effect because the government is labour, Communist subversion ZAMU to Moc, Tribalism no effect rolled a 1, Radio/TV RF to +1.

Politics Phase: Calling for Rhodesian elections, have to give Quenet commission a chance to pass. Would like to spend $1 to bolster RF popularity. 2d6 -4 must roll a 7 or better this is a gamble to get a more liberal House of Assembly but taking a chance on game ending on anarchy. Die roll is a 6-4=2.

Game over on anarchy, did worse than history. Cannot wait to give this another try.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, awesome write up!

Can you comment on how much this is like N: The Napoleonic Wars or Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game--because I found those two okay games at best, and if Rhodesia is kind of like the other two then I'm gonna pass on this one, but if the system is different in this one, I might buy this. Love the theme/topic for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nap George
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the other titles.

This game is like COIN meets This Guilty Land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
napgeorge wrote:

That sounds promising. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nap George
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer here -- thanks for the AAR, that was fun to read (and nice to see it lavishly illustrated). I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nap George
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work, tight and efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip