Subject: House Cards sets - Which are better ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Soares
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing for a short time... so I am not arguing about game balance per se. I just noticed that some house sets seem much better than others.

Take Greyjoy for example. By far the best I feel. They do lack fortification a bit. Balon making enemy = Zero is very powerful ! Its like having a second Str "3" card. Victarion's doubling fleets strength makes fleets quite strong. The best Zero cards. Asha's remove adjacent support can totally wreck an enemies attempt at using supporting fleets.

Baratheon sucks the most I think. They have less "swords" and their "3" card has fortification. Usually when you use your top card you should expect to win... no ? Upgrading to knight is good only in low muster games.

Stark is overly defensive for example. 2 Fortification on the "3" card is a waste. Again using top card to lose ? They also have only 3 swords overall. So not much casualties for their enemies. Catelyn double defense is so so. You get at most an extra +2 on a special order +2 defense. Robbs super knights are nice... but again hard to use. Still their best card.

Tyrell and Lannister are good... though the queen of thorns "cancel special ability" is hard to use... useful only against a few cards.

Maybe its a balance issue... or maybe I haven't seen some of these cards actually used in game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r dub
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:House Cards sets - Which are better ?
Rashak Mani (#43100),

I can't say overall about the house card sets. We haven't played enough 5-player games for me to notice with Greyjoy, but his cards look interesting on paper.

My two favorite cards are Robb Stark and the Loras Tyrell. Robb is great because it is a seriously massive attack. Having the + bonus on a 2-card is very strong. You have no excuse not to superstack knights as Stark. And Loras, well... he's just broken.

Sometimes I feel like the abilites are misplaced. Baratheon will tend to be upgrading all his footmen to knights anyway because he's always starved for supply - that ability is mostly useless.

In most of our games allies will launch weak attacks against each other just to cycle out 0-cards to get back to the 3's quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Soares
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispyfloss (#43160),

I thought about the small attacks in order to cycle cards... and I think it is a meta gaming aspect that detracts from the game. Kind of silly. "Attack me so I can get my uncle back to fight again..." Still will tend to happen.

Overall the card cycle is a game aspect we haven't fully explored. Timing is essential to take advantage of momentary lack of good cards. Bluffing which card you will use is also part of the game.

As for Robb Stark... neat... but 3 knights together is a neat target for double hits. Killing them all in the second rout. (Knight only get bonus when attacking right ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r dub
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Rashak Mani (#43243),

I'm convinced our group does lots of silly meta-game things. We never really think ahead of the current turn. We'll say "Oh, I can't use my 3 here because I need to stave off this other attack," but never think "I can force him to play his 3, sacrificing these units but guaranteeing me a bigger victory next turn." I don't know if that level of foresight would make much of a difference overall, but then that might be an important metagame issue too.

For Robb, the knights only get it on offense. I've never seen it happen in our games that a superstack doesn't have a naval retreat path that will bring it completely out of harm's way. It's far more likely that a unit is routed with no place to retreat to then that it retreats and is then destroyed. Maybe because it's rare in our games for one player to have two attacks on the same front that can trap retreating units. More likely, I think, that if one player just forced a big rout, unless the routed player was close to winning then the routing player will be the bigger threat.

Our games tend to frustratingly close. And too many have ended on the 10th turn with a 3rd party support deciding which player should win (has to pick one of 'em, after all).

Here's a question - do you guys frequently have players knocked out? We never do, probably because we don't want someone to have to sit around for the next 2 hours. So there's a lot of check-check-check going on. Perhaps if there were more aggressive eliminations then the game would turn out less ambiguously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Soares
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispyfloss (#43269),

We never had a total elimination. We have had the Stark "capital" being Eyrie instead of Winterfell for example. The way its hard to actually "kill" units its very hard to eliminate someone. (Maybe except Lannister).

Many of us are diplomacy players. So we know the value of a small but vengeful house player. You should always help out the guy that is bothering your enemies... Saturday after we stopped the wildlings but everyone was tied... as King I untied for the Stark player instead of myself. He wasn't my "ally"... but he wasn't bothering me at all... only Lannister. He got Robb Stark back and took a Lannister Castle.

As for meta gaming ok... it really isn't as bad as I made it sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter
Netherlands
Soest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are no 1 on the Iron Throne, use it. You've problably payed a lot of power to get that place!
When i have the iron throne i use to expand my territory in a "peaceful" way. This works especially well after a succesfull Wildling attack. "So, you're both tied for the last place... What can you do (for me) to prevent the loss of 2 extra units?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Spierenburg
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think that Tyrell's cards are by far the most powerful. None of their text cards are predicated on winning or losing the corresponding battle. And removing an attacking or defending footman immediately is absolutely disgusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.