• [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ben had first choice of games, and selected Ticket To Ride as he'd previously indicated he would.

I had won our trial run of this game by doing nothing more than putting down a group of six cards whenever I could. I publicly announced I was going to do the same thing this game, and to see if the game yielded again to such a simple strategy.

Ed was the first to lay down track, a four-car run from Pittsburgh to Nashville, then a two-car run from St. Louis to Nashville.

Ben and I each started out with long runs. I put down 5 orange cars from SF to SLC, then 6 from El Paso to Houston. Ben put 6 down from Seattle to Helena.

The early game featured Ben making a beeline across the top of the board and holding longest continuous line while doing so. Helena to Winnipeg, then Winnipeg to St. Marie, then on to Montreal, and Boston after that.

Ed had been putting together short routes, but Ron's attention was drawn to Ben's long chains. He connected Boston to New York in an effort to stop Ben.

I was putting down the fewest and longest routes, placing a 6-car route from Portland to SLC.

It wasn't clear whether Ben had been stalled in the East or whether Boston was his chosen destination. He then began working down the west coast, Portland to SF, then Portland to Seattle.

For reasons I cannot now recall, I got in Ron's way by playing from New Orleans to Little Rock. This was a foolish diversion for me because it was a less than efficient way to make my main connections, which were Portland to Nashville and San Francisco to Atlanta. I had received three long routes in my opening draw, and had picked the two that showed the most overlap.

The group had fun combining against me in the deep south, blocking the connections I needed to bridge my western and eastern track. That pretty much sealed my fate right there.

Ed surprised us all late in the game by drawing two extra routes from the deck. He had been putting together short track all game long, in pursuit of his routes, in almost direct refutation of my announced strategy. When he pulled two routes with my stock running low, I thought he was nuts.

He wasn't. He made enough of his routes to win the game. I ended the game by placing my last three orange cars on the route from Chicago to Pittsburgh. Ben connected LA to Las Vegas on his last turn, Ed Washington to Raleigh on his, and Ron San Francisco to Phoenix.

Ron pronounced himself pleased at game's end that playing defense paid off; he frustrated both my routes and Ben's, without great the cost to himself that I assumed he would have.

Ben and I were both in the red on our routes. The finals:

Ed = 55 (Track) + 25 (Net of routes) = 80
Ron= 46 (Track) + 21 (net of routes) = 67
Ben = 72 (Track) + 10 (longest chain) - 20 (net of routes) = 62
Chuck = 87 (track) - 34 (net of routes) = 46

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re:Session Report
Typo. My score was 80 = 34 = 46.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.