Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG entry says 180 minutes, but I'm seeing up to 4 hours in some folks comments. So what gives? I'll probably be playing it with 3 or 4 and would like to know how much time to set aside next weekend when we play. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG games are notorious for taking a really long time the first few times you play them, well above their rated time. I'm guessing you should set aside at *least* four hours if it's your first game.

-Dave

edit: To be fair, most games of any complexity take far longer the first few times you play them, and also it depends on how quickly your group picks up new games, and is prone to AP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that it is about 40 minutes per person, +/- 10 minutes based on if they are a quick player or prone to AP. Add on 30 - 45 minutes for teaching the game and then an additional 15 - 30 minutes per new player.

What does this all mean? It's variable! I've played two player games in under an hour and had a five player game with all new players run over five hours.

I suggest putting aside a large chunk of time for your first play. If you then play future times with the same people you will notice a significant decrease in time required. Also suggest those that tend to be a little slower, or those that haven't played the computer game (to know the units), play the same faction the first few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Adamson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From our initial experiences, I'd say 4-5 hours the first few times through. Probably stabilize at 3.5/4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Choo
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Our first game with 3 people lasted about 2.5 hours approx. It gets a lot faster once you know the sequence of movements and the research available to your faction.

The only tip I can really give is to make sure your fellow players are planning their turn during their opponents turn. You can also really move the game along by letting the next player go if the previous players action was 'research'.

We've got a bigger game going this weekend with a full 6 people so I think we are in for about 4-5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hoffman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone know what the play time is for the longer, elimination style variant where only one player remains? This seems like it would take a loooong time, b/c things could go back and forth. Anyone tried it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to not play games above 3 players unless all players have played before. It becomes an ugly jumbled mess if 4, 5, or god forbid 6 are trying to learn the game at once--and unlike some other deep games, Starcraft is still a lot of fun with 2 or 3.

Heck, if you have 4 players that're all new, why not play two 1v1 games concurrently(Split the event decks into halves--it'll work). It should take an hour-1.5, and by the end you'll all know if you want to play a real 4 player game, and as an added bonus, it'll take way less time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a first play for four new players, from opening the box until conclusion (including set up and explanation), it took 4.5 hours. I suspect that if the four of us played again, it would come in at around 2.5 hours. (I think we had at least an hour of explanation/extra set up time plus an hour of first time slowness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
2'er, 100 minutes, no rules explanation needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.