Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first game of this solo. Full 1939-45 World Campaign. I am really enjoying the narrative play of this game. I did have to start over after some major rule gaff's, but with help from the designer and others on BGG I have been able to feel better about getting things right. Below is the first turn Sep/Oct 1939. It was pretty uneventful due to the bad weather preventing Germans from invading Poland. The summary is not done chronologically. It is presented in narrative by theater. Die rolls or decisions are placed in parentheses. I have finished second turn as well and will post it separately. I started third turn this morning.

Pre-War:

Spanish Civil War- minimal commitments from both sides, Nationalists win.

Abyssinia Crisis- Both sides provide heavy support to Ethiopia. Germans provide more. Ethiopia kicks out the Italians and gains it’s independence as an Axis minor ally. +3 to Cold War tensions.

Sep/Oct 1939:

Weather (6) is mud and rain.

North Sea
German BB group made up of the Schlesien, Graf Spee and Sch Hols attempts to get out to sea under cover of the bad weather. British choose to intercept only with CV group of the Furious, Glorious and Courageous. Their intercept is successful and they engage the German BB’s. In the short day time battle (1 round) the Schlesien is sunk, Graf Spee is damaged and the Sch Hols returns to port. Courageous also suffers damage.

Eastern Front
In Poland, 2 armies moved from Brest to Warsaw. Germany created a garrisons at Konigsberg. Due to poor weather Germany delays planned invasion of Poland. They did raid Danzig (odd) though, shattering Polish army there. Poland received reinforcements at Poznan and Warsaw. Meanwhile the Soviets built garrisons at Minsk (w/loss) and at Novirroysik. Germany chose not to buy off Soviets, keeping Finland and Bulgaria neutral. Romanian foreign minister, Gafeneu rejected the Allies financial offer, keeping Romania neutral, +3 Cold War tensions. Stalin conducts Atheist Plan and loses 3 infantry armies. An earthquake hits eastern Turkey without loss of units.

Western Front
Italian dispute with Germany leads to Italian delay of 5 turns. French garrison built at Paris. Germany deploys Adm Raeder. Germany built garrison at Stuttgart. German navy seizes City of Flint merchant ship. US entry 1+1 (4+4).

Mediterranean
Italy sea lifts 3 armies from Messina to Tripoli. Britain sea lifts 2 armies from London to Suez. Italian Balbo HQ and 1 army move to Tobruk from Benghazi. Italy builds garrison at Albania (w/loss). French ADA Corps moves to Tunis from Constantine.

Scandinavia
Norway coup avoided (4). Karelia recognized by Soviet Union as an independent republic. Soviets deploy 2 armies there. Daladier declares for Finland but the Winter War does not occur yet.

China
Tropical storm hits Ning-Po area on China coast grounding Japanese air and naval units in Korea, Kyusha and China. Japan RR’s 2 armies from Lu-Liang to Fukien Province. Soviets deport FEK army to a gulag in Central Asia. Germany forms Nordic League with Sweden. Tibet declares against Germany.

Pacific
US sea lifts army and moves BB group to Midway from LA. Nepal declares for the Allies and the Gurkah’s are deployed to Singapore where they contract malaria (flipped). India sides with Allies vs Germany (3). Armies deployed to Mysore, Imphal and Singapore. Australia declares against Germany.

Africa
Tanganyika revolt does not occur (6). In a shocking development South Africa votes to remain neutral in the war.

Arabia
A border war occurs between Dubai and Sharjah. Axis (Jap) backs Dubai and Allies back Sharjah. Garrisons deployed by both sides.

Off Map
German nuclear research advances 1.

SW mods- BR +14, GE +10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nov/Dec 1939
Weather (1) Fair/Clear

Eastern Front
Germans invade (Blitz) Poland at Poznan with air support forcing surviving armies to retreat to Warsaw. Soviets invade Eastern Poland. Second attack on Poland at Warsaw is a success and Poland falls. Free Polish forces escape to London. Soviets build garrisons at Sevastopol (free), Leningrad (free) and Kharkov (w/loss). Soviets move army from Moscow to Minsk. Germans build garrison at Warsaw (free). Riots in Moscow results in 1 SV unit being flipped. Slovakia declares for Germany and mobilizes. Soviets gain 2 armies. Germany chooses to form alliance with Lithuania, Soviet entry roll 1-3+1-3 (1+3) Soviet entry 8 turns. Turkish Defense Pact with BR and FR put in place.

Western Front
BR moves V Corps to Newcastle from London. GE rails 1 army from Warsaw to Frankfort. Phony War collapses French army morale. Attempted assassination of Hitler results in a non-serious wound. Iberian trade pact made between Germany, Spain and Portugal. Canada declares war on Germany and mobilizes.

Mediterranean
BR Admiral Cunningham deployed to Malta. BR takes over Madeira Island in the Atlantic near Gibraltar, from Portugal, who remains neutral. BR garrison placed. Greek-Turkish Pact in place. BR builds a garrison at Suez. Adm Cunningham flies to Suez to take command of the Mediterranean Fleet. Italy builds garrison at Rome (free) and Tripoli (free). Italian RCTL army deploys to Tripoli. Border war between Italy and Yugoslavia avoided. BR blockades Italy, 2d6 (2) Italy can join the war but decides to delay instead. Greece and Italy agree to allow Italy to utilize Crete as a base, garrison deployed to Crete.

Scandinavian
Germans invade Denmark and it falls easily. Winter War occurs. Allies send 5 planes and Axis sends 2 tanks, +1 snow total drm -2. (6-2=4). Finland capitulates and installs a pro-Soviet government. Sweden declares for Germany. Finland and Sweden mobilize. Rundstedt and 2 armies sea lift from Konigsberg to Gotesburg, SW. Two Soviet armies move from Uthua, FN to Viipori, FN.

Pacific
Australian 7 AIF sea lifts from Sydney to Rabaul. New Zealand declares war on Germany and mobilizes. Admiral Yamamato takes command of Japanese Main Fleet.

China
Japanese commander Kaw/Kim attacks the Chinese Nationalist forces commanded by Hsueh Yueh at Changsa. The Chinese are fortified and the Japanese use ground support in the attack. Each side loses 2 armies. Yueh and a garrison hold and Kim with his army group must retreat. Nationalist Chinese declare war on Germany. Meng-Chang army mobilizes. Sinkiang declares for the Soviets and mobilizes.

Africa
Liberian coup is avoided (8). SW Africa revolts and becomes pro Axis (2), mobilizing it’s army. Rhodesia declares war on GE and mobilizes.

Arabia
Anglo-Iraqi Oil Treaty put in place.

North Sea
Germans miss sub pot shot. BR seizes the Irish Treaty Ports (5), US pop -2. Due to BR countermeasure research GE SW takes -11 hit. GE subs drop mines giving GE +13 SW. GE sinks the Athenia, US entry roll 1+1 (2+6).

Off Map
At the Panama Conference France announces that DeGaulle will command French forces and brings tanks with him (5). US appoints ambassador to Vatican (3) no loss in popularity. US nuclear research +1. Abe new Japanese prime minister. Papal declaration made against the Nazis, BR plane to committed box.

SW mods BR +8 and GE +3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer here -- I'm enjoying this! You're very aggressive with your garrison building, and that's a good strategy. For some reason I thought neutrals couldn't build garrisons (it's been a long time since I read the rules... to my own game) but the rules don't appear to say that, so you're good. Southern Africa looks like a mess -- are you using Antarctica? Keep us posted, and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reading and commenting Robert. I am not using Antarctica.

Since garrisons can be voluntarily removed I don’t see the down side of garrisoning potentially important hexes or front line hexes. And yes I didn’t see anywhere that neutrals cant garrison. Since they are moving around and everyone seems like a die roll away from war it seems like a good idea to garrison before the bullets start flying.

Southern Africa did have some interesting developments. The Winter War results though really got juices flowing. Norway is really in trouble now.
The Lithuania alliance event was a tough choice. I liked from German perspective feeling like one hex closer to Moscow and Leningrad. Another hard choice is the event to let Italy enter the war early. I chose to delay as it looked like Britain would steam roll Libya. Another tough event came up turn 3. Japanese appeasement. That one just seemed like the Allies were giving up way too much for a possible delay Japan entering the war. I finished third turn last night and will post the turn summary tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Knish
Ukraine
Donetsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
You're very aggressive with your garrison building, and that's a good strategy. For some reason I thought neutrals couldn't build garrisons (it's been a long time since I read the rules... to my own game) but the rules don't appear to say that, so you're good.

Edit: Offtop (at the request of the Tom Stearns). Sorry, I didn’t want to bother anyone. I understood, my rules help is no longer needed:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And that's too bad. It’s bad when there are holes in the rules, and the authors don’t release errata or keep “living rules” in time. Here's an example of the response of the author of this game:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26445873#26445873
Moved, yes. Garrisons, no (that would be building units and all unit construction is handled by Events except where otherwise explained, e.g. Japan).

And there (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26444012#26444012) is good discussion among experienced players here.

PS Not the first time I see the authors of the wargames, which for some reason don't support their game at the appropriate level. Why? This is your brainchild, your rules, so improve them every time the community instead of you, finds errors or inconsistencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
No this was addressed quite some time ago. Neutrals cannot build garrisons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Another hard choice is the event to let Italy enter the war early. I chose to delay as it looked like Britain would steam roll Libya.

You will discover as the Germans did that Italy is more trouble than it's worth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Just letting you know the updated errata have just been uploaded to BGG for this game, but it may take a day or two for them to make it past the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

January/February 1940

Weather (4) blizzard, rain and snow

Western Front

German air raid conducted on Britain (each commit 3 air units) General Guederian and 1 army RR to Munich. General De Gaulle with 1 tank army moves to Rheims. Two Canadian armies sea lift to London. BR CV Ark Royal damaged in collision (3 turns). Plan D thwarted by Germans (saved event). General Model arrives at Frankfurt. BR General O'Conner arrives at London to take command of 11th Army Group. US Envoy Wells conducts peace mission to Allied and Axis capitals preventing any amphib assaults being conducted in Europe and Africa. Germany and Romania agree to trade agreement regarding Romanian oil.

Scandinavia

Germans DOW Norway. General Rundstedt attacks Oslo from Gotberg with combined German and Swedish Army group. (-2 VN due to snow and forest terrain). Norwegians repulse the attack. Britain sea lifts V XXX to Stavanger. Swedish armies capture Narvik and Trondheim. General Richneau attacks Oslo from Larvik and is repulsed. GE garrison placed in Copenhagen.

Eastern Front

Soviet armies move to Vilnius, Lwow and Vinnitsa. Two Soviet armies move from Viipuri, FN to Pudasjarvi, FN. SOV-TURK defense pact signed (+2 cold war).

China

Japanese general Kaw/Kim attacks Changsa. Chinese conduct fighting retreat to Ling-Ling. Two JPN armies sea lift to Tsingtao in China. JPN General Terachi moves to Tsingtao.

Pacific

Japanese moderates reign in militants in government (3 JPN armies flipped). New Zealand army sea lifts to the Gilbert Islands. Australian general election held. 1d6 (1) United Australian Party wins- government remains stable. Indian army in Imphal and Ethiopain army both affected by malaria (flipped). Argentina BB group moves to S. Pacific off Norfolk Island. BR refuses deal to appease Japanese in the Pacific.

Mediterranean

Egyptian coup put down by British (flipping one army). Italian General Aosta killed by friendly fire. Spain seizes Tangiers, Allies turn a blind eye. Italians get G50 air tech. Italy sea lifts two armies to Tobruk.

USA

US Democratic Party employ's A Vote for Hitler strategy against Republican candidate 1d6 (4) which backfires causing a loss in presidential popularity 1d6 (6) -6 to popularity. French CV Bearn quarantined by US government.

Middle East

Iraq-Kuwait border war averted 1d6 (6). BR bribes Saudi Arabia (flips a BB) to prevent Saudi's going Axis. BR BB group moves New Castle to Port Sudan. Yemen becomes Italian minor ally 2d6 2 (2).

South America

Chile-Argentina border war. Allies back Chile and Axis back Argentina. 2d6 </= 4 (3) Chile becomes Allied, Argentina becomes Axis, Axis SW +20. Argentina invades Chile seizing Iquique (resource hex) in Northern Chile. German garrison deployed at Gran Chaco, VN when ethnic German settlers form pro-Nazi militia.

SW Mods BR/FR -6 to GE SW, GE +9 total +3 to GE SW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
March/April 1940 with pictures this time showing end of turn situation.

Weather (2) Snow/Rain/Mud

Scandinavia

Germans utilized services of Marina Lee, a Nazi spy in Norway, 1d6 (3) to eliminate the Norwegian army defending Oslo. This allowed combined Swedish and German Army group to capture Oslo and thus Norway without further fighting. British V Corps evacuated from Stavanger and returns to Newcastle. Swedish Army RR's Narvik to Stavanger.

Western Front

German HGA moved Munich to The Ruhr. British countered by moving O'Connor + 3 armies to Lille and then later another 4 Allied armies (Poles and Candaians) sea lift to Lille to reform British 11th AG. Allies hold conference in Paris. Nothing gets accomplished. Rundstedt and 1 army sea lift to Kiel. Richeneau moves back from Sweden, through Copenhagen, picking up an army there and proceeding to Kiel. Luftwaffe conducts raid and flying over Swiss airspace, 1d10 (4) resulting in shattering of 1 Air. French move 2 armies Lille to Rheimes. Goring denounces Italy (delay marker moved to next turn). Germany puts peace offer on the table (no Ampib Assaults remainder of turn- subsequently cancelled 3 Amphib assaults the followed in the turn). German audiences boo Nazi propaganda films ( 2 armies flip). France misses adding DS24 air to force pool 1d6 for 6 (5).

Eastern Front

Zuchov and 2 Tank Armies move Smolensk to Vilnius. Border war between Bulgaria and Turkey averted, 2d6 for 2 (4). Balkan War occurs between Hungary and Romania. Both the Allies and Axis back Hungary. Soviets annex Bessarabia. Soviets add 2 Yak-1's Air to force pool.

USA

USA and Canada for joint defense board. Allies hold conference in Washington DC. Nothing gets accomplished. Iceland and the USA cannot come to an agreement regarding Iceland bases 2d6 for 4 (5). US Army RR's El Paso to LA.

South America

Uruguay declares itself pro-USA. German Army deployed to Argentina.

Asia

Britain rejects Indian autonomy, 2d6 for 2 (4). Indian unit at Imphal affected by malaria (flips). Tibetan Army moves to Kalewa. UN Conference held at Delhi.

China

Japan sea lifts 4 armies to Tsingtao. Terauch and 2 JPN armies RR Tsingtao to Peking.

Africa

Two Ethiopian armies affected by malaria (flips).

Mediterranean

Greek Royal coup averted 2d6 for 12+ (9). Italian occupation of Crete potentially could have added +4 drm but Italy not considered Axis while neutral, so coup fails and Greece remains neutral. Mussolini inexplicably demilitarizes shattering 1 Inf Army.

Pacific

British BB Group moved from Port Sudan to Darwin. Australia mobilizes another army at Sydney. Argentine BB group moves to Marcus Islands. Indian army at Singapore affected by Malaria (flips).

SW mods BR/FR -14 to GE
GE +11
Total -3 GE SW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating -- Most players seem to launch early attacks on the Belgians and Dutch but you appear to be waiting for the historical moment. This is all very fun to watch!

Quick question (sorry I don't have the rules handy): Can the Germans SR all the way to Argentina?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting for better weather. Germans were traumatized when turn 1 weather was poor and they attempted to attack Poland anyway and were stopped. So I waited until weather improved on Spring ‘40. Meanwhile Denmark and Norway were taken while they waited on attacking Low Countries.

I considered attack on Yugoslavia but they have a lot of units and didn’t want to get bogged down there and delay the attack in the west even more.

I don’t really see a way to get more German units to Argentina unless events put them there. Events put a garrison and an army there already. Argentina has nice sized army of their own. I think they will be able to make trouble in S.America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
I don’t really see a way to get more German units to Argentina unless events put them there. Events put a garrison and an army there already. Argentina has nice sized army of their own. I think they will be able to make trouble in S.America.

Got it -- I forgot there were random events that can do that. The Sealift distance is 40 hexes (5.4.5) if you can avoid the Royal Navy (5.4.8.2), so Germans can get to Argentina in theory but it seems a funny place to send them. But it's always cool to see the outlying theaters get some action!

No spoilers, but there are lot of fun things that can happen with an Axis Argentina later in the game. And I say that as someone who has been to the Falkland Islands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls