Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the picture and noticed the currency was in dollars.

Yes I am fully aware I am being picky and know that it will not impact the game, but until 14th February 1966 Australian currency was in pounds. Decimal currency with dollars and cents were introduced on that date. In fact prior to 1901, which is when this game is set, it may have even been in British pounds (but I would have to do some research to confirm that or wait for some more knowledgable Australian to reply).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Australia did not adopt $ and decimal currency until 14-Feb-1966
Karlsen (#43201),

I was looking at the picture and noticed the currency was in dollars.

True enough, but you must just be new to Winsome's games, else you would note that we use decimal dollars in all our games, be they in the US, UK, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Argentina, Italy, Switzerland, France, South Africa AND Australia. It simplfies my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer (#43218),

Well Age of Steam uses dollars, but that is historically correct, so no nit picking there

The others I either haven't had a chance to play or don't have or both, although I am sure I could overcome my currency issues and play them if I had copies even if I did have to cope with British dollars

Fraser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen (#43227),
Well Age of Steam uses dollars, but that is historically correct, so no nit picking there

The others I either haven't had a chance to play or don't have or both, although I am sure I could overcome my currency issues and play them if I had copies even if I did have to cope with British dollars

Thanks for the understanding. I am not surprised that you don't have Winsome's games, we don't ship Down Under, given Australia's huge Tariff on games. I can't understand what industry your government is trying to protect...

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Thanks for the understanding. I am not surprised that you don't have Winsome's games, we don't ship Down Under, given Australia's huge Tariff on games. I can't understand what industry your government is trying to protect...

John

Actually I don't think there is any tarriff on games here in Australia, just enormous markups and shipping costs. We are basically on the other side of the planet or close to that distance from anywhere games are made. My local gameshop recommended that I actually import any further Age of Steam expansions myself since they couldn't sell #1 to me for less than AUS $40.

If there is a tarriff on games that you are subject to, do supply details - considering this government is completely in favour of abolishing tarriffs it would be interesting to get their reaction.

Pre GST (or VAT in English speak) there used to be sales tax that was put on imports (even if you imported them yourself) but that doesn't happen anymore.

Fraser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen (#43328),
If there is a tarriff on games that you are subject to, do supply details - considering this government is completely in favour of abolishing tarriffs it would be interesting to get their reaction.

We stopped shipping games to Australian distributors five years ago, when we were forced to ship the empty game packaging in one lot and the stuff inside the packaging in a different shipment to help the distributors avoid the 20% Tariff on games. I suggest the you contact Australian distributors that import games for self-edification.

We have shipped games to Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, New Zealand, lots of faraway places. The shipping cost to Australia is not unusually high (Russia is the most expensive!) and I doubt that your retailers are unusually greedy people. I hope your government suceeds in abolishing your Tariff, even worse than the EU's 17% VAT!

G'day, mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer (#43367),

Cooee Cobber John,

There used to be a 22% wholesale or sales tax on games (in effect a tarrif) in Australia, which talking to some friends in the games retailing industry the old trick about boxes and components separately would have been used to avoid.

That tax has now gone completely (about three years ago) and has been replaced with a 10% GST (the Australian equivalent of VAT). What this means is that you can ship games to Australia without worrying about that tax and, probably more importantly to you, how you ship them.

For the poor old long suffering Australian consumer it actually makes almost no difference since a 22% tax on the wholesale price of a game leads to almost exactly the same retail price as a 10% tax applied at the retail level after removing the 22% wholesale tax.

All in all it should be good news for you, but not a lot of joy for me.

Hopefully we will see this game in Australia soon - whether or not I can afford is of course another matter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen (#44747),
There used to be a 22% wholesale or sales tax on games (in effect a tarrif) in Australia, which talking to some friends in the games retailing industry the old trick about boxes and components separately would have been used to avoid.

Quite. Whatever the case now, Funagaingames shall have them for shipment to Australia. Or have one of the Australian exhibitors at Essen bring one back for you.
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John/Fraser,

I have been recommending Boardsandbits around my neck of the woods. They ship whatever USPS postal method you like and only add $2 handling.

I have used Boulder in the past but they have a significant handling fees that drives up the cost, particular of the smaller orders. Still cheaper than buying locally, if done in bulk.

-Daniel

BTW Do you use metric for distances too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harro (#57384),

I have been recommending Boardsandbits around my neck of the woods. They ship whatever USPS postal method you like and only add $2 handling.

http://www.boardsandbits.com/intlorders.asp shows them charging $10 for international handling. How did you get them to reduce the price?

http://www.games.unhalfbricking.com/ seems reasonable for local prices - but they obviously won't stock this particular game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjwills (#62705),
They recently lifted the handling charge upto $10 for international orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harro (#65924),

Bastards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjwills (#66447),

To be fair, they have since reduced the charge to $8 then $6:

http://www.boardsandbits.com/intlorders.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.