Popular Tags: [View All]
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a pair of games to give Advanced Salvo a go. The first was a brief one-on-one duel between my Bismarck and the Hood, which ended in a minor Axis victory when the Hood withdrew after a couple turret hits on the second turn. The second was the Denmark Strait scenario, which sees the Hood and the Prince of Wales in their fateful encounter with Bismarck and Prinz Eugen.

I took the British fleet for this second scenario. Weather was misty at start, and we must have startled the Germans, because they immediately turned to withdraw. We closed in pursuit. Prinz Eugen straddled Prince of Wales with her stern batteries but failed to damage the British ship.

On the following turn, the Bismarck offered her broadside while Prinz Eugen came all the way about and closed with my two ships which were continuing their pursuit. The German ships concentrated their fire on Prince of Wales, but missed, while the British ships both hit Prinz Eugen, inflicting multiple flotation and speed hits.

At this point, I had both British ships offer broadsides. Prinz Eugen continued to bear in, and sank beneath multiple hits from Hood and Prince of Wales. The Bismarck managed to straddle Prince of Wales and inflicted special damage to her engineering section, slowing the British ship. Prince of Wales banged back, and Bismarck began to flood.

After suffering futher damage from Bismarck, I ordered Prince of Wales to turn away while the Hood continued to pour on the broadsides. I expected Bismarck to withdraw, but she stubbornly chose to go gun-to-gun against Hood. Bismarck was quickly down two turrets and nearly dead in the water, while Hood was luckily avoiding the worst that Bismarck could offer. Prince of Wales could only make a speed of three knots but I managed to withdraw her from battle, but an unexpected end-of-turn result brought the engagement to a close before Hood could finish off the German super-ship. Bismarck was able to withdraw behind a fog bank and live to fight another day, and while the victory points favored the British, the Admiralty will want to know if Prince of Wales turned away prematurely, losing the opportunity to finish Bismarck once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.