Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At last I'm pleased to offer a new variant for this game (1 of 2), which I call Prometheus. It's designed to shorten the game and lessen the impact of luck while not compromising the experience this game is intended to offer. Not just house rules, this variant includes a new anatomy card and a few other smaller components that you will need to print.

The file is here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/189976/prometheus-variant...

The official Igor variant, which does NOT require a print and play is here:

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/1035

Prometheus is an "unofficial" version and will only be offered here on BGG.

Features of this variant:

- 30-40% shorter playtime (on average)
- new monster building process: build the monster once, not muscle and then skin
- new dice mitigation and scoring system, to reduce the impact of luck
- 8 rounds instead of 12
- requires print and play file and a full copy of Abomination

The primary difference between this variant and Igor is the new monster building process that requires the updated anatomy card. Also in this variant you are building your monster from scratch versus starting with some parts already, so you are getting a more complete experience. Otherwise they share many of the same updates, especially with regards to dice mitigation and round management.

I want to thank all the playtesters here on BGG who offered their feedback. And since this is just a digital offering, it will be easy to make further adjustments if it's warranted. There may be issues that come up that were not accounted for, which I will address on a case by case basis. I look forward to everyone's thoughts if you get a chance to try it out.

Feel free to use this version in its entirety, or just borrow the elements you think are best suited to your play group.

Happy monster building!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the slow burn of your original design but am thankful for the accessibility this variant offers other players.

This game is such an amazing experience!

Thanks, Dan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thinkbug wrote:
IGOR

If you want to play this variant without needing to print anything, you can follow the Prometheus rules but make these adjustments (which is essentially the Igor variant):

Ignore Setup steps A-C (PnP), and ignore Rules # 4-8 (Lab Phase), 11 and 14-20.

If you do not use the PnP components from the Prometheus variant then do you also disregard the Prometheus variant's City Phase rules changes #2 regarding treating stage IV materials as stage III and the discarding stage III materials at the end of the Lab Phase? Also, do you still only use ice for one round, placing it on it's half melted side as stated in the Prometheus variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:

If you do not use the PnP components from the Prometheus variant then do you also disregard the Prometheus variant's City Phase rules changes #2 regarding treating stage IV materials as stage III and the discarding stage III materials at the end of the Lab Phase? Also, do you still only use ice for one round, placing it on it's half melted side as stated in the Prometheus variant?

The Stage IV rule is not in Igor (forgot about that one) but I like that change, so feel free to use it if you don't think players will consistently forget. And yes to ice.

Hopefully Igor will drop soon and it will be easier to read, but looks like it may not happen until Monday now, since it's the weekend. I wasn't allowed to post it myself, but hopefully this more for less achieves the same result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bigas
United States
Washington
District of Columbia
flag msg tools
Will the Prometheus variant be printed officially by PlaidHat at some point? I'd love to just purchase an official pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
janbig wrote:
Will the Prometheus variant be printed officially by PlaidHat at some point? I'd love to just purchase an official pack.

Doubtful. It's possible this game could get an expansion down the road and this variant could be included, but one is not currently planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
"The show must go wrong."
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game so much (though we've only played it once (with another play tonight! )) and this variant seems exactly perfect...clearing up some of the small issues that some members of the group had with the game (namely me with my crap luck with the dice )

Thanks for a great game! I can't wait to try this variant out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thinkbug wrote:
janbig wrote:

Doubtful. It's possible this game could get an expansion down the road and this variant could be included, but one is not currently planned.

How about a release at a service like The Game Crafter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Igor is now live on PHG site for those who want to avoid any PNP.

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/1035
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IntvGene wrote:
thinkbug wrote:
janbig wrote:

How about a release at a service like The Game Crafter?

I doubt Asmodee would allow it, but it’s possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't have a problem with the game as is, we're going to try the Igor variant just to see how it plays.
Also no cutting or pasting, I'm lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of the Experiment space and spending some animal parts to raise your dial.

I've only played once and didn't get any animal parts, but perhaps i would have if this spot was in the base game.

If there is ever an expansion, it would be a small, cool addition to add.

Edit- also, i see how the above may make me sound like someone who tortures animals. That's not actually the case though.

I swear....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Thompson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan, just wanted to point out there is a markup issue on the Game Tips page on the Prometheus variant pdf. It's showing the Game Tips phrase duplicated at the top of that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raphael76 wrote:
Hey Dan, just wanted to point out there is a markup issue on the Game Tips page on the Prometheus variant pdf. It's showing the Game Tips phrase duplicated at the top of that page.

Hey Neil. I just looked and I'm not sure I see what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb

I noticed it too when I made my copy but it didn't really bother me much.
sorry for not mentioning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:

I noticed it too when I made my copy but it didn't really bother me much.
sorry for not mentioning it.

Whoah! That's odd. Is that showing up in print or a browser or both? I don't see it on my Mac (chrome or safari) and it didn't show up in my printed copy either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on a PC and shows both in print and on my screen.

I just downloaded and checked the file on my iPhone and it does NOT have the repetitions.

Perhaps its a variance in a Mac created file and a PC viewing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blanchett
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:
Perhaps its a variance in a Mac created file and a PC viewing it?

Yeah, most likely. It's annoying but not critical, so I think I'll let it be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls