Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm going to Japan next year, I began to look into Samurai period games. I was surprised how few battle games there really are in this period. The game Samurai uses the same system. There is a review by Mike Siggins, but it isn't terribly encouraging. I finally ended up picking up a copy on eBay; I'll see what I think when it arrives. But, I really ended up buying it because there really isn't much choice in tactical battles in the period. Maybe the people interested in the period are doing miniatures rather board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own it, but haven't played it yet. It's part of the Great Battles of History series by Richard Berg. I thought that you could download the base series rules for free, perhaps I am mistaken, I cannot access GMT's site from work and there are a lot of differences specific to the game itself. IMHO you need to be careful with Berg's work, people tend to love it or hate it. I like the GBoH series, but it is pretty meaty. Sorry that I couldn't give you a more in-depth look, but to answer your question, I think that the target audience is quite small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i previously played Great Battles Of julius Caeser, got rid of it because it was WAY too complex for me. I like samurai so thought id get Ran, its really very good! Not too complex lotsa fun! Review to follow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Samurai rules are available for download...and those should be pretty similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ran rules are significantly different than the Samurai rules and the counters are somewhat different. The designer says you can go backwards, but they haven't playtested the new rules on the earier game, so proceed with caution.
Ran is simplified compared to the other Great Battles of History game and many of the scenarios are small enough to be reasonable learning experiences.
I am still sorting the counters, so I won't write a review. Remember that this system is not just Richard Berg, it is also Mark Herman. They've known each other since high school and I think that the combination is very good.
One thing to know about this series is that the battles selected are usually important and famous, but they are often not an even match-up. Certainly a box of Alexander the Great's battles is not going to have any he lost and when simulated historically, everyone who isn't Great is at a serious disadvantage.
That given, the scenario descriptions provide reasonable warnings about play balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find rules for Samurai or Ran. Anybody got a link for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.