Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Berger
United States
Near Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of Regiroth - this artifact seems too powerful. If you use the wings to move 4 spaces, can you then elect to use less than 3 dice and recover fatigue? Also, you could interpret the wings to say that you can only move up to 4 spaces in one direction (so pick a direction and move 4 in a straight line). Is this the case? This would make them a little less powerful.

When you get the Mistress of Ferrox does she give you the power to completely win the entire encounter when you meet an enemy with Ferrox in the title? You don't need to pass a pre-combat challenge or roll a single die?

Advanced Rule Doom Track - I understand how you place cards on the Doom Track and end up with the first doom counter. How do you end up with the second? If you are playing with 3, do you have to place 6 more cards or just fill the now 5 empty spaces on the Doom Track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Berger
United States
Near Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules Questions - Specific Cards and Advanced
One more...

The dragon Fromax requires that you discard one card at random when you get magic damage from it.

- If you prevent the damage with armor, do you still have to discard the card?
- Are dragon runes included in the random discard? If so, doesn't the fact that they are now discarded potentially lead to a situation in which no one can get 3 dragon runes?
- Should items like kept encounter cards be included?

Just an opinion question too, how do you decide which card to discard? The backs are different on some item cards so turning them over and drawing doesn't work. We tried numbering the cards and using the 20-sided die. If we rolled over the number, we rolled again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
grimzap (#43391),

I also think that the wings are a little too powerful. You are pretty much guranteed to go where you want in a turn, and if you get a couple other cards let a "play this card and move three spaces" you can pretty much go anywhere on the board.

When I had it, it just jumped from encounture to encounture!

Nanich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:- Specific Cards and Advanced
I agree that some of the artifacts can be too decisive.
As you have seen in other posts, there are quite a few opinions about this subject. That is why we play with small dice that are placed on each item, and then roll for each item each time it's used. We use the system from a great early post, suggesting you start the dice at 1 and increase by one each time you use the item. Roll and if the result is equal to or less than the current die level, the item is destroyed. This REALLY makes you ponder using the item so much, or saving it for when you need it most. It adds a layer that I could understand FFG omitting as perhaps to "busy", but for avid (descriminating taste?) gamers, I think it's a must. We carry it a step further, using various 6, 8, 10 and 12 siders for the roll. The person in "last place" at the start of a round gets to assign each die to a player, which means he gives himself the 12 (and the lowest chance of item corruption), and the 6 to whoever is currently in the lead. Perhaps an artificial balancing tool, but good for laughs and competitive rivalrys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzap (#43391),

My group tends to read the rules quite literally - since Mistress of the Ferrox says (paraphrase) discard this card to automatically win a challenge with the word Ferrox in it... That means, when you meet a ferrox challenge, discard her and you instantly win. No dice rolled, no before combat, nothing. You win.

The doom counter works like this:

In a 3 player game it requires 6 cards to gain 1 Doom Counter. Since the rules state there is already a green card at the first position, only 5 more cards need to be discarded to get the 1st doom counter.

Once you fill all 6 (or whatever the limit is based on the # of players) cards you: 1) Place the doom counter on the 1st available spot, 2) REMOVE all the cards EXCEPT the very last card you discarded, 3)This last card is then placed in the 1st space (next to Tamalir).

Does that make sense? They have a pretty nice example with a photo in the advanced rules IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzap (#43393),

There is an important classifier you are missing in your description of the Fromax card. It says, (paraphrase) for each wound he does during the magic phase, discard a random card from your PARTY. Emphasis on Party.

There are two classifiers. Inventory and Party. Inventory is just that... stuff. Party is allies. So, when Fromax deals wounds during the magic phase, you must randomly discard an ally.

There are other cards which specify items from your inventory.

Now, regarding armor, it depends... some armors and artifacts explicitly state in their wording: Cancel x wounds from your hero "as if they never occured" or "happened" or some such. If the card contains those words, then no, you don't need to discard any cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
deadeyedick (#43492),
I agree with your assessment on all the above rules, if you read under Notes, Terms, and Definitions on the last page of the rulebook, under Cancel:

Many cards "cancel" wounds. This happens immediately: the wound is not inflicted/...

This means that any wound which is cancelled like with armor would not be inflicted...and the Fromax card clearly states for each wound Fromax inflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzap (#43391),

Once you've b-slapped Mistress of the Ferrox you don't need to do anything to defeat the next Ferrox encounter except dump her head out of the bag. Or maybe you're wearing her skin like a disposeable diaper. Either way, the ferrox all wet themselves and you win all automatic-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.