Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

PLEASE be sure to list your goodies from Santa in this geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/26472

With the blessing of both Tom Vasel and Aldie, I am pleased to announce a local Secret Santa for those people in the USA who would either like to participate in two Secret Santas, or who would like to participate, but are concerned that International shipping may be too much for them.

I encourage everyone to sign up for both Secret Santas, if they can, because Tom and Aldie do a great job running the "main" Secret Santa. In case you missed Tom's post, you can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/224299

Here are the guidelines that I will be using (mostly stolen directly from Tom's post).

1.) We invite everyone with a US address to join, closing it on November 19th. At that point, each person involved will have a random name and address sent to them. Players should check the BGG profile and choose a game off of that person's wishlist and send it to them, so that it arrives by Christmas.

2.) All involved should update their wishlist (NOT want list) of games. Please have at least ten currently available games on your list, and try to have some of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you only have high priced, hard-to-find games on your list, don't be surprised when you don't get them.

3.) Secret Santa is all about the giving, not the getting, so be prepared that the person who is sending you a gift may be a jerk and not do so. Most people last year did a good job, but idiots do abound - and I urge you NOT to join the Secret Santa unless you plan to send a gift; this isn't "get a free game for nothing" club. Those who don't send gifts, and then won't respond to follow-up emails from us may have their accounts suspended, as we don't want the name of BGG besmirched by greedy folk.

4.) You should buy one game for the person who you are giving a gift to, and not a dinky game like a card game - use Ticket to Ride as a good control measure. However, there is no problem with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games! And what makes it really cool is if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found on this geeklist.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17908. Some really nice stuff was given out last year.

5.) This is a USA-only Secret Santa, created to accommodate those who would like to participate in multiple Secret Santa events, or those who are concerned about the cost of international shipping.

6.) I will add any online stores (from whatever country) wish to get involved in the program. Please notify me if you run an online store and want to get involved in the program.

7.) Because of the lateness of this additional Secret Santa program, this year's event will be done manually by me. To sign up for this event, please GM me your mailing address and a note asking to be added onto the USA-only Secret Santa list. I will confirm within 24-48 hours that I have received your request.

8.) If you have already signed up for the International Secret Santa, and can only afford to be in one, then you MUST stick with the International one, so as not to create a bunch of extra work for the administrators (especially Aldie), as well as to not subtract from the work that Tom has done to create this thing in the first place.

9.) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!

Tami

Final number of people participating: 65!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a good idea... but just a warning to people entering both that you might get the same thing from both of your santas. i'm already signed up for the other one so i'll pass on this. but i would probably do the us-only next year if it happens again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is participating in both exchanges, will there be a way for their two Santas to share notes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
this is a good idea... but just a warning to people entering both that you might get the same thing from both of your santas. i'm already signed up for the other one so i'll pass on this. but i would probably do the us-only next year if it happens again

Getting the same thing from multiple people is always a danger around this time of year. Of course, the more items you have on your list, the less likely it is. If you're really worried about it, you could always use the comment field to flag some of your wishlist items as "SS-US-only" and some as "SS-International".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yay, thanks Tami, that'll really help out with the practical problems of the "main" Secret Santa dealie. Will you keep us posted on the number of participants?

Also, I didn't see this thread on the front page anywhere, where lots of people would be likely to see it. Am I missing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I'll have to wait until next year. I'm already signed up for the international version.

I would prefer to ship to the U.S. so that I can put more money into the game, rather than into FedEx fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a microbadge so we can see how sign-up is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:

And an easy fix for this is that if you are in both, make a note on the International one asking that people contact me to find out who your Santa is on this list (since I'll know who it is), and I can connect the two Santas to coordinate their gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldyn Gryphon wrote:
Will there be a microbadge so we can see how sign-up is going.

I'm looking into this, and will update.

Currently, there are 7 6 8 including me.

I will also ask Aldie if he can do something to keep this on the front page, for people to find more easily, or if there's some way to add it to the BGG News section or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to change from one list to the other? I could provide international shipping if I had to, but I could provide a much better gift if I didn't have to worry so much about shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will probably be quite a popular option.

degamer wrote:
Is it possible to change from one list to the other? I could provide international shipping if I had to, but I could provide a much better gift if I didn't have to worry so much about shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:

As far as I can tell, there is no way to opt out of the international one once you've signed up, although I suppose you might be able to send a GM to Tom Vasel.

Since the majority of people will likely get US targets from the International one, my preference would be that people NOT switch to this one, especially since my intention was never to "steal" people from that event.

That said, if you really want to switch over, I would check with Tom to see if your name can be removed from that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Not to be a wet blanket, but I'd rather not process a bunch of people dropping out of the international secret santa.

If it becomes an issue for my work load - then I will have to drop both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If a lot of people drop out of the international one in order to save a few bucks, that will be disappointing. The season is about giving, and if you give to an international participant, the gift will mean that much more since for most international gamers, games are usually impossible to find locally and terribly expensive. When someone in such a situation receives a gift, they're that much more thankful for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More giving = more getting. What is more fun than that? I would be bummed if people dropped out, you knew what you were signing up for.

Personally, I made sure to put a few games that are only available in Europe in hopes that my Santa lives there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aldie-

The last thing I want to do is create a bunch more work for you!

Tami

Aldie wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket, but I'd rather not process a bunch of people dropping out of the international secret santa.

If it becomes an issue for my work load - then I will have to drop both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:

If a lot of people drop out of the international one in order to save a few bucks, that will be disappointing. The season is about giving, and if you give to an international participant, the gift will mean that much more since for most international gamers, games are usually impossible to find locally and terribly expensive. When someone in such a situation receives a gift, they're that much more thankful for it.

I agree with this, it's a shame really. From my point of view I could whinge and whine about exchange rates and shipping costs and so on and so on, frankly the participants in the US will, on average, get the better deal than those of us who live elsewhere, so I don't see what the 'issue' is about.

The idea is about giving after all.

I'm sure I am completely wrong in all of this, and maybe there is some magical thing I'm missing totally that will bring it all into perspective, but this is just my 2c.

Cheers.

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way - no offence to Tami or anyone else, setting up a new event would be heaps of work...I'm only commenting because I'm left scratching my head over this.

I'm sure the UK gamers or the Aussie gamers, or the German gamers could have chosen to opt out and set up their own, I just find it odd and am stretching to understand why you would...

Cheers.

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't think people that have already signed up for the original one should drop out, but that doesn't mean those that opted not to participate can't start and join a local one themselves. I wasn't going to bring this up any more, but when your organizer(s) refuse to compromise and be flexible, things like this will happen and then end up conflicting each other. It is a shame really, since it is such a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that Tami, in particular, is not opting out - she is still involved in the International Secret Santa, as well as the one she is now running for the US.

It looks to me that she has responded to some of the complaints and comments on the original Secret Santa with some practical action, so is to be congratulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
I agree with this, it's a shame really. From my point of view I could whinge and whine about exchange rates and shipping costs and so on and so on, frankly the participants in the US will, on average, get the better deal than those of us who live elsewhere, so I don't see what the 'issue' is about.

Giving away games is more fun than giving away shipping & handling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair point Chris, I shouldn't have described it like that.

I'm not sure what you mean Jason. Saying Tom was being inflexible...what would you have liked him to do? Compromise an event already described in detail for a group of people who want to whinge about shipping costs, like they are the only ones affected? It's a damn shame really, since the same issues are faced by EVERYONE.

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree James, it also more fun than watching your dollars disappear through exchange rates. The same issues are faced by all participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
I don't disagree James, it also more fun than watching your dollars disappear through exchange rates. The same issues are faced by all participants.

I realize that. I didn't say it was unfair, nor am I on some crusade against Tom's international secret Santa. In fact, I'm part of it.

You asked why someone would bother to set up a more localized exchange, and I was answering that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair point - sorry James, you're absolutely right!

I'm not against a localised Secret Santa, what I am more annoyed at are those people who were whining and complaining about the original Secret Santa program.

Good on Tami for organising something and as I said in an earlier post - it must be a huge amount of work - as such Tami deserves respect, and those that chose to be involved - good on them.

Those however who wanted to change the original program from it's very clear objective, or who wanted to complain for silly reasons like shipping etc. Those are the arguments and people I am fed up with reading about.

Cheers.

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.