Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Shanahan
United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieNote: This is a small variant that tends to tilt the game in favor of the zombies. Insert this mechanic to make things more difficult for the heroes, if your dice seem to love the heroes a bit too much in a given play session.

Variant: Emergence-y!

As the clock winds down, zombies start emerging underfoot!

Roll 1d6 after all the Zombie Players have finished their turns and before the Hero Players start their turns.

If the roll is higher than the number of turns left, the Zombie Players take one zombie from the zombie pool (if any) and place it on the same space as any hero of the zombies' choice. The Hero Players then begin their turns as normal.

Since the Zombie Players’ turns are over, a hero on the same space as an emerging zombie doesn't have to immediately fight it, but the hero will need to move or will likely end up fighting that zombie at the end of the hero's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
New York
flag msg tools
A cool idea thematically, but I'll be damned if my group is going to make things any easier for the Zombie Player at this stage in the game. (We're already trying to feverishly read-up on strategies to be better "Heroes" so to speak!) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nice idea, but it seems to me it helps the zombie player regardless of the heroes success...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
shankfoo wrote:
zombieNote: This is a small variant that tends to tilt the game in favor of the zombies. Insert this mechanic to make things more difficult for the heroes, if your dice seem to love the heroes a bit too much in a given play session.

Variant: Emergence-y!

As the clock winds down, zombies start emerging underfoot!

Roll 1d6 after all the Zombie Players have finished their turns and before the Hero Players start their turns.

If the roll is higher than the number of turns left, the Zombie Players take one zombie from the zombie pool (if any) and place it on the same space as any hero of the zombies' choice. The Hero Players then begin their turns as normal.

Since the Zombie Players’ turns are over, a hero on the same space as an emerging zombie doesn't have to immediately fight it, but the hero will need to move or will likely end up fighting that zombie at the end of the hero's turn.

I think this is an interesting variant, IF you were trying to handicap the Hero's player/players.

To make it a little less strong for the Zombie Player, don't add a Zombie from the Zombie pool. Instead allow the Zombie Player to take away any Zombie already on the board and use that Zombie as the newly spanned one. This way there wouldn't be any additional Zombies added to the board. But, the Zombie Player would still have the chance to move one Zombie from any where on the board onto a Hero's space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shanahan
United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germarish wrote:

I think this is an interesting variant, IF you were trying to handicap the Hero's player/players.

To make it a little less strong for the Zombie Player, don't add a Zombie from the Zombie pool. Instead allow the Zombie Player to take away any Zombie already on the board and use that Zombie as the newly spanned one. This way there wouldn't be any additional Zombies added to the board. But, the Zombie Player would still have the chance to move one Zombie from any where on the board onto a Hero's space.

My friends and I actually play this variant in concert with some other variants that tend to empower the Heroes. One of these is the Fires variant that I posted here (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1813367); since the zombies are less mobile, they end up being more... susceptible... to fire.

The other is a variant to the way weapons and ammo work that we tried out and liked (posted here-> http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1845983); basically we made it so that pistols and shotguns have a known amount of ammo (1d6 or 1d2), shown on a die placed on the card, and those weapons can never be dropped. Ammo cards allow the ammo die to be rerolled, but cost a whole turn to use, and can only be used when the weapon is empty.

These changes powered up the Heroes considerably, so we use Emergence to try to balance that out.

It's also worth noting that in several of the non-variant games we played, and especially in "Save The Townsfolk", the Heroes tended to turtle up inside a building and it would play out spawn-wise that with 5 turns left it was all but impossible for the zombies to win (not enough minions on the board, all 3 "My God They've Taken The" cards in the discard pile.

Emergence essentially gives the Zombies a growing chance to play an instant "Surprise Attack" card late in the game, so it prevents this situation where the zombies are conceding victory with a bunch of turns left and the Heroes are holed up safe (and bored) waiting for the clock to run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.