Adam Harris
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Can I use Make The Call in combination with Power of Leadership to pay for a non Leadership ally? Make the call is a Leadership card and the cost seems to be the cost of the ally in the discard pile. The Power of Leadership says double the resources this card generates while paying for a Leadership card. So question is what is being paid for? Make the Call or the none leadership ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Short answer: no.

Long answer: Power of Leadership only doubles when you use it to pay for a card. Since you're paying for a card through the use of Make the Call it doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Legendary Online League participant
So, just in case it's unclear from the Long answer above...Power of Leadership does work when playing a Leadership Ally with Make the Call, just not for non-leadership allies.

Power of Leadership:
Double the amount of resources this card generates while paying for a Leadership card.

Make the Call:
Action: Pay the printed cost of an ally in any player's discard pile --> put that ally into play under your control.

When you "pay the printed cost of an ally" you are "paying for" the ally from the perspective of Power of Leadership. So if the ally is a Leadership card, then the text applies, and if it is not a Leadership card, it does not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones - Only the best!Microbadge: Mistborn fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fan
Personally, I'm with J Re. Make the Call specifically says to 'pay the printed cost,' but you're not paying for the card; going by the wording under Cost in the Rules Reference, you're paying a cost associated with Make the Call's ability. But, as with all coop games, whatever works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just wanted to say that I agree with J Re and Matthew. The Power of Leadership's extra resource should not work with Make The Call regardless of the ally type. You are paying a printed cost as part of an effect, you are not paying for an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Legendary Online League participant
But it does, per clarification from the designers...
I've talked with J Re elsewhere, pretty sure he's aware of this ruling and just worded his response poorly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: I speak CalifornianMicrobadge: University of California - BerkeleyMicrobadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!
Theorel wrote:
But it does, per clarification from the designers...
I've talked with J Re elsewhere, pretty sure he's aware of this ruling and just worded his response poorly
Where are you seeing clarifications from the designers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
That one was asked on the No Responsibility podcast (Episode 3, starting around 49:30).
It was mentioned on the champions discord by the podcaster.

They also discussed Spider-sense triggering when someone else defends, but not when spider-man defends for someone else, and Webbed Up triggering after Stunned.

Marvel Champions Monthly Podcast also has an interview with designers that addressed a couple things. (also episode 3, starting around 29:40 they have some designer questions around "you", and also cover Pepper Potts-Power Of interaction which says Pepper Potts only generates 1 resource.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: I speak CalifornianMicrobadge: University of California - BerkeleyMicrobadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!
Cool. Hopefully these things make it into a FAQ at some point. FFG it usually pretty good about getting that done at some point, so I expect it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I expect we'll have a FAQ in the next month or so. Until then, we just have to keep our ear out for interviews because (at least for me) that seems to be the only way to get rules questions answered. Some people get responses from the rules question thing on the website, I'm just not one of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones - Only the best!Microbadge: Mistborn fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fan
I can see that--paying the printed cost of a card is like paying for the card itself. I suppose they would say to pay a cost 'equivalent to' in the other case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls