Subject: Master format for game rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] [View All]
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been discussion about this topic? I am trying to rewrite some rules for an old out of print game, and I want to follow some kind of format. Does such a format exist?

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out:
Frank Branham: Rules writing Deutschland style for best practices

- Jeffrey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I use a small variation on Frank's observation in my ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/users/claw/odd/games/prototypes/OhanaProa..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">rules for 'Ohana Proa. Without overly tooting my own horn, I find those rules clear and accessible (as have many I've given them to for review).

Functionally the format I use is very simple: LaTeX's article template. Software-wise I use Lyx, which of course means that I also use the LaTeX macro set for TeX. TeX and LaTeX are extremely flexible and are well known for producing beautiful output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
TeX and LaTeX are extremely flexible and are well known for producing beautiful output.

...Provided your definition of beautiful means sticking out like a sore thumb - a thumb made of large blocks of justified text in Computer Modern font. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JavaJack wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
TeX and LaTeX are extremely flexible and are well known for producing beautiful output.

...Provided your definition of beautiful means sticking out like a sore thumb - a thumb made of large blocks of justified text in Computer Modern font. devil

The most common character response I get to the documents and letters I write with LaTeX is "This looks like something from a book!" followed next by, "How did you get it to be so...(visually) balanced?" Given how careful the typesetting is for many books I find this praise quite pleasing.

There is nothing in TeX or LaTeX that requires right or left justification or the choice of any particular typeface. Computer Modern is sort-of a default simply because it is Knuth's original face (his notes on the hand kerning and subsequent kerning changes or Computer Modern are a delight to read), is perhaps the most extensively and carefully kerned face available, and comes with every TeX installation (typeface is an explicit choice, not a default in TeX). Outside of that TeX has wide typeface support:

http://www.tug.org/fonts/

The thing I like most about LaTeX is that it is hard to produce an unclearly formatted or structured document. The defaults may not be wonderful, but they are extremely clear and readily understood by eyes trained on standard western (technical) text publishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Has anyone actually made a WYSIWYG editor for Latex? I remember using it for my publications in college and it's really obtuse.

I would suggest OpenOffice for the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Aldie wrote:
Has anyone actually made a WYSIWYG editor for Latex? I remember using it for my publications in college and it's really obtuse.

Yes, LyX. However it is WYSIWYM instead of WYSIWYG. FWLIW the 'Ohana Proa rules and player aid linked above pretty much use the LyX defaults throughout (IIRC the only changes from the defaults are for paragraph style and page margins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.