Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends really enjoy the final battle, and will always insist on fighting the GOO even if we seal all the gates. Now I'm starting to think a few of them want to play the game with the intention of spending the entire game gearing up for the final battle.

For instance Hastur, if your going to end up fighting him you may as well do it early as possible. In fact the game will be significantly easier to "win" if you work to awaken him geared up for a fight.

Yig. Is there any other option but to fight this guy? It would be the ultimate challenge to beat him through closing gates, but super easy just to kill him once he arrives.

I've added all the official house rules to make GOO's harder (Cthulhu being near impossible to kill). It discouraging that the primary purpose of the game is to seal gates, but it isn't the best way to win on a number of occasions.

Ith, Narl, Yig, Has, and to a lesser extent Snub are all GOOs that aren't too difficult in final battle. Especially if you where building up clue tokens, blessed, and focused on pumping your character up for end game fight.

I think doing this detracts from the primary focus of the game, sealing gates. How can I discourage players from wanting to just focus on final battle confrontations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the feeling that this was, perhaps, the designer's intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ... I had a think. Maybe putting more of an emphasis on the points scored at the end of the game will focus my gaming crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
FinalAttack wrote:
How can I discourage players from wanting to just focus on final battle confrontations?

Our house rule: when the AO awakens, the game is over (no final battle: you lose). The final combat is ten minutes of random and tedious dice rolling, so you aren't losing much (as long as "experience" and "fun" are concerned). Some AOs become quite stronger (e.g. Yig), but that's not bad (and you still can't ignore to fight monsters during the game, especially if you play with Dunwich and/or the King in Yellow).
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a matter of opinion that the final battle is boring. My group think quite the opposite. They see it as a kind of boss battle.

Someone mentioned on the FFG site that killing the GOO is considered a "draw" that will probably make my gamer friends cringe a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for the next expansion. From what has leaked there will be cards that strenghten the GOOs for the final battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere else in BGG there are some discussions about how to avoid "just gearing up for the final battle", making the GOO tougher or weaker depending on the successes (gates closed, monster markers...) of the game, and focusing on the efforts of the players.
Interesting ideas, i guess.

P.S.- IMHO there's no fun in "Roll-the-dice-see-what-happens" but there's a lot of people that enjoys that kind of games. It's up to the players' styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I neither like the idea of beating the GOOs in battle but you have to take into account, that the GOOs were all designed with this possibility in mind. Some GOOs are easier to stop than others and if you remove the possibility of a final battle, some minor GOOs become harder to beat than Cthulhu himself.
Bascially I see a game won through a final battle as a minor victory or a draw.

I don´t like the idea of scoring games of Arkham Horror at all. I never did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious method is to play with the bigger GOOs- Azathoth is the extreme version but Cthulu is pretty tough as well. Fighting the one that requires Gate Tokens obviously encourages people to close gates...have forgotten whom that is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Our house rule: when the AO awakens, the game is over (no final battle: you lose). The final combat is ten minutes of random and tedious dice rolling, so you aren't losing much (as long as "experience" and "fun" are concerned).

Even if it is a dicefest (which it is), I like the way the final battle adds a climax to the story arc. I'm not saying it's Lovecraftian, but it does prevent "Do we lose this turn? No. Do we lost this turn? No. Do we lose this turn? Yep."

To mitigate gearing up, we just consider a combat victory a minor victory/draw. I think this actually adds more gameplay and choice. Sure, there usually isn't much strategy to the battle itself, but if there's a 95% chance that Yig is waking up in a turn or two, taking the Blessing and going for a draw seems more tempting than taking an inevitable loss. Meanwhile, we're still playing to win the "correct" way for most of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I always feel disappointed when I fail to stop the GOO's coming - doesn't really matter if I beat the GOO later or not. I always try to prevent the GOO's coming, rather than gear up for battle.

My advice for you would be to find some other players, who share your point of view on the game.

I myself would like some house rules which would make it easier to fight the GOO if you have more elder signs on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samael wrote:

My advice for you would be to find some other players, who share your point of view on the game.

I like AH, but not enough to ditch my friends in search of new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
FinalAttack wrote:

I like AH, but not enough to ditch my friends in search of new ones.

Good approach

So generally, my answer to the topic question is:
DON'T, or at least, not by means of house rules. Just try to convince them that beating the hell out of Cthulhu is not really the idea behind the game. If you add some house rules that discourage having the final battle, they won't agree to it anyway.

EDIT:

Take a look here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1817964#1817964
this is a topic I opened in variants forum, this may be fine with both you and your fellow players - you can still have the final battle, but the general focus of the game is more on sealing gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.