Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to some press releases, this year's SPIEL brought a new record for visitors!!!

209,000 visitors!

That would be nearly 20,000 more than last year!

The new halls and especcially the additional entry made it still bearable.

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentaclebreaker wrote:
According to some press releases, this year's SPIEL brought a new record for visitors!!!

209,000 visitors!

Ciao

Martin

Two odd things I noted this year:
When we went to hall 6 to take a breath, it was as crowded as the other halls. I cannot remember this from previous years.
The other thing, was Hall 1/3 Sunday afternoon: Just half the people compared to the day before, and thus much easier to find a gaming table. It was the first time we stayed until Monday, so I am not really sure how this has been previous years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greetingsfrombergen wrote:
Pentaclebreaker wrote:

209,000 visitors!

Ciao

Martin

Two odd things I noted this year:
When we went to hall 6 to take a breath, it was as crowded as the other halls. I cannot remember this from previous years.
The other thing, was Hall 1/3 Sunday afternoon: Just half the people compared to the day before, and thus much easier to find a gaming table. It was the first time we stayed until Monday, so I am not really sure how this has been previous years.

That was I think because of the fact that the east entrance led you down to Hall 6. That what where I entered as well the first day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sunday afternoon always is less crowded at the tables. Many people just want to get their last minute buys, others just want to get away before the masses do, others have to catch their flights/trains, and many other reasons like wanting to get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my first Essen so I contributed to the increased attendance.

Yes we noticed Sunday afternoon was considerably quieter. The other days, if you wanted to play anything of note you had to hover by a booth for 15 minutes until a table freed up. (And some games had so many hoverers even that wouldn’t work)
On Sunday we were finding free tables for some of the games in the top 20 of the buzz list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not accepting luggage anywhere other than the east entrance, fifteen minutes on foot through all the halls from the "online tickets only" entrance, was a very stupid decision. Plus they upped the price to €3, a 50% increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it lucky, but I was able to play much more games this year than last, which led me to think that is was less overcrowded this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bykk
Sweden
Kristianstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It felt like less people there this year, but I felt it was harder to get a demo this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Play black time!
mbmbmbmbmb
tequila_j wrote:
Call it lucky, but I was able to play much more games this year than last, which led me to think that is was less overcrowded this time.
We also thought it was less crowdy on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Saturday was something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it felt less crowded overall than last year (comparing Saturday to Saturday), presumably because of the wider aisles. We didn't get stuck in the crowds as badly as last year. But Halls 5&6 were definitely busier, probably because of the East entrance.

I think the East entrance was a good idea; we entered there both Sat & Sun.

Of course the tables with popular games are always swamped, but we did get to demo quite a lot of cool stuff nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Not accepting luggage anywhere other than the east entrance, fifteen minutes on foot through all the halls from the "online tickets only" entrance, was a very stupid decision. Plus they upped the price to €3, a 50% increase.
But "east" was the online ticket entrance...

At least that's what every security guy told us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

We were let in through the Hall 1 -and Hall 3 entrances as well as the Grugahalle entrance (East?) with our online tickets without any questions asked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mb
My first essen this year - so I did my part!

Thursday was the best & quietest day, Friday then ramped it up a bit, and Saturday was just insane, particularly around the mid-day/lunch hours, literally couldn't move anywhere.

Didn't attend on Sunday though as we were thoroughly exhausted from the first three days - so we definitely also contributed to it being quieter on that day, plus our flight home was that evening anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

We were let in through the Hall 1 -and Hall 3 entrances as well as the Grugahalle entrance (East?) with our online tickets without any questions asked...
Lol! Two days in a row they made us walk from the East entrance to the West entrance with our online ticket...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What?
We only used the east entrance with our online ticket. They had one queue for online tickets and one for buying tickets on site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

Lol! Two days in a row they made us walk from the East entrance to the West entrance with our online ticket...

I assume they didn't notice the huge sign above the door to Hall 8 saying "ONLINE TICKET", then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
I assume they didn't notice the huge sign above the door to Hall 8 saying "ONLINE TICKET", then?

Well, not the only issue where I don't know what the security was doing. It was on Saturday, and I got in with my exhibitor pass. I just wanted to go from hall 7 to hall 6, but instead of just using the door, they send me and others on a little trip outside the halls. Since the weather was fine, I didn't mind, but I guess next time I'll at least ask why ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

What's even better is that the first day the Ruhrbahn employees at the main station made a big spiel about how visitors with an online ticket should use the west entrance while everyone else should use the east entrance. Cue eveyone exiting the train as requested and then being told to walk to the opposite end of the fair... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:
Jedit wrote:

Well, not the only issue where I don't know what the security was doing. It was on Saturday, and I got in with my exhibitor pass. I just wanted to go from hall 7 to hall 6, but instead of just using the door, they send me and others on a little trip outside the halls. Since the weather was fine, I didn't mind, but I guess next time I'll at least ask why ...

Yeah, security were not well informed this year. Preview Night was worse; a lot of security didn't even know it was on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mari
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Rukus wrote:

We had this issue every day… ^^
The guy on the exhibitor-entrance scanned our tickets and the security two doors further wouldn't let us pass. Each one of them claimed that the other had no clue…

We entered hall 6 through a side door and were a little bit irritated about the fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It felt about as crowded as in previous years, but now it had more halls that were like that than before. It doesn't surprise me that there were 10% more people, and it's been growing like this for a long time now. The convention center is almost completely used now, they're running out of space! ;-)

PS. If you went to Essen, please share your stories here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/263397/tell-your-best-spi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Inserauto & Maria Angela Rastetter
Italy
Bagheria (PA)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ot: i don't want to open a thread just to asking this, so... speaking about crowd... what's the deal with the huge line at the Galeria Kaufhof booth in the first day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elflum wrote:
Ot: i don't want to open a thread just to asking this, so... speaking about crowd... what's the deal with the huge line at the Galeria Kaufhof booth in the first day?

You probably mean the line for the Asmodee (former Heidelberger) Outlet Store. They have some great prices für games every year. Not the newest and hottest stuff, but you can make good bargains.

On Sunday they even cut the prices by another 50% and still had most of the games from Thursday available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sunday seemed a bit more open than last year. I guess it was the extra hall space. Still a lot of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Inserauto & Maria Angela Rastetter
Italy
Bagheria (PA)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean the booth with the line to enter, which had asmodee games like Yamatai or Way of Panda at 20€, ehm no, i don't mean that.

Looking at the Hall plan, it seems i'm talking about the Schwerkraft booth, halle 3. Still got no clue why it was so busy, but maybe i could be wrong with the booth. If i'll have the chance to enjoy another Spiel (as sure i hope), i'll take a photo or ask directly

airsonist wrote:
elflum wrote:

You probably mean the line for the Asmodee (former Heidelberger) Outlet Store. They have some great prices für games every year. Not the newest and hottest stuff, but you can make good bargains.

On Sunday they even cut the prices by another 50% and still had most of the games from Thursday available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |