United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want to sing out...
badge
Music is the sound of human emotion
mbmbmbmbmb
Who of us hasn't looked at our game collection and thought, "What a mess; I need to organize them". But how do you do it? Alphabetical? By mechanic? By box size (I've seen this)? Dewey Decimal System?

I've developed a small web app that does that very thing. I call it the BGG Collection Organizer and is part of my suite of Board Game Helpers:

https://boardgamehelpers.com/BGGCollectionOrganizer.aspx

There are several game organizers out there and this is just another. Mine follows several simple ways of organizing your collection into groups.

Just enter your BGG username, select the organizational patterns, and it'll parse your collection and suggest how to organize it.

There are six grouping options which you can select at either level:

Alphabetical
This simply sorts your collection alphabetically. All expansions are grouped under the base game's name. Nothing fancy here. This is the default.

Average Play Time
Based on some comments, this will group your games into play time buckets. This is based on the manufacturers' given play times. If there is a minimum and maximum play time (ex. 30-60 minutes), it will average the two (ex. 45 mins). Unfortunately, the data isn't available to do a more accurate method. That said, it still does a pretty good job if you like to choose your games based on play-time.

Best Players
I saw a thread where someone said he liked to easily see his games that played best 3 or 4 players. Thus, this groups your games into Best Player Count (as voted by the BGG community). This way, all of your best-for-3-player games are all in one place.

Mechanic
This groups your games into mechanics such as Abstract Strategy Games, Cooperative Games, Strategy Games, Party Games, etc... Select this option if you are the type who knows what type of game you want to play and looks at your collection for that type of games.

Minimum Player Age
This groups your games by minimum player age ranges. This is based on the minimum player age as voted upon by BGG users. Select this option if you like to group your children's games separately from your games. This likely be chosen as your higher level organization.

Weight
This groups your games into the five weight types: Light, Medium-Light, Medium, Medium-Heavy, and Heavy. This is based on the weight as voted upon by BGG users. Select this option if you are the type who knows how heavy of a game you want to play and looks at your collection for that type of games.

It's nothing fancy, but I hope you find it interesting.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Works well! And I found out I'm not a heavy gamer - I only had 2 games listed, one of them is unplayed, and the other is on the sell list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Works well! And I found out I'm not a heavy gamer - I only had 2 games listed, one of them is unplayed, and the other is on the sell list.
Thanks!

Sounds like you need to check out my BGG Collection Stats tool. I’ll give you insights into your collection.

https://www.boardgamehelpers.com/BGGCollectionStats.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I haven't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete B.
United Kingdom
Oxford
England
flag msg tools
Really good tool, thanks for sharing.

My current organising strategy is getting them all out of the cupboard when feeling mega efficient, then running out of steam and putting them back in in semi alphabetical order!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice work!

I would love to be able to pull up my collection with the following data points.

Minimum recommended age
Weight range
Time (any game that doesn't exceed a specific time range)
Player count (any game that has that supports that exact number of players)

I always feel like I can't quite get these things with the advanced search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odditie wrote:
Nice work!

I would love to be able to pull up my collection with the following data points.

Minimum recommended age
Weight range
Time (any game that doesn't exceed a specific time range)
Player count (any game that has that supports that exact number of players)

I always feel like I can't quite get these things with the advanced search.
You might find my What Should We Play tool more useful.

https://boardgamehelpers.com/WhatShouldWePlay

It will look through multiple collections and give you game recommendations based on your selected number of players and weight. It also takes your ratings into account. However, it doesn’t take age range or play time into account, but those would be some interesting additions. I’ll have to see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You always come up with such fun ways to keep me from getting work done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
espoon82 wrote:
You always come up with such fun ways to keep me from getting work done.
This is one of the best compliments I’ve gotten all year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please add "a color of the box in rainbow order".

This is a funny query, but I have them ordered like this in my house and I think
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
will approve of the option.

So for low on the backlog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I like a lot the "group by best number of players".
Would there be a way though to consider what the owner of the game has selected as "best" count when it is available and not the collective vote ?
For example, in my opinion, Complots is a game that plays best at 3 to 5. I would not play it with more. But the collective mind of the geek says it plays best with 7, so it's grouped with the other 7 by your tool. If you could consider my vote in priority, that would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matsman wrote:
Please add "a color of the box in rainbow order".
Funny thing, I considered adding this because it's possible to get average color values out of the box covers. Would would be interesting to see my collection sorted by color! I know someone who does this with her books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
I like a lot the "group by best number of players".
Would there be a way though to consider what the owner of the game has selected as "best" count when it is available and not the collective vote ?
For example, in my opinion, Complots is a game that plays best at 3 to 5. I would not play it with more. But the collective mind of the geek says it plays best with 7, so it's grouped with the other 7 by your tool. If you could consider my vote in priority, that would be awesome.
I totally understand that having your personal vote as the deciding factor for a lot of these groupings, but unfortunately the BGG APIs don't provide that level of data expect for game rating votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I added a couple of new grouping options (Average Play Time and Minimum Player Age) as well as a new feature to this which allows you to group your games at multiple levels.

When you select a second level, it will group the games at the first level, then sub-group them at the second level.

For example, I like my games grouped by Mechanism, but also by best players. So I select Mechanism first, then Best Players second. The tool will bucket my games by Mechanism, then it will bucket the games within each of those Mechanisms by Best Players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
ClimberStephen wrote:
I totally understand that having your personal vote as the deciding factor for a lot of these groupings, but unfortunately the BGG APIs don't provide that level of data expect for game rating votes.
That's too bad then. Thanks for the consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Very neat tool. Is there any way for the alphabetical sort to ignore 'The' and 'A' in the sort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to filter out expansions? While I understand some expansions may lengthen the game time, I don't think I need to see every Legendary Marvel or Star Wars Imperial Assault Expansion I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmb
Looks neat! One suggestion would be to add the option to sort games by BGG rank.

For a mobile option, I use the Boardgamegeek App for Android. It allows you to filter your collection in a number of ways (number of recommended players, play time, number of plays, exclude expansions, etc.) and also allows you to sort in various ways (alphabetically, by play time, rank, weight, number of plays, least recently played, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbezzant wrote:
Very neat tool. Is there any way for the alphabetical sort to ignore 'The' and 'A' in the sort?
Good idea. This is done.

esquire468 wrote:
Is there a way to filter out expansions?
Good idea. I added a checkbox to display / hide expansions.

samlamiam wrote:
One suggestion would be to add the option to sort games by BGG rank.
I can, but can't get to it right now. I'll add it soon. To make sure I understand, you want to sort by BGG Game Rank. Because, if so, you can view your collection's stats (here), then click View Collection List. There you can sort by BGG rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BRILLIANT!!! I have so many card drafting games. I do love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGame Goalie
msg tools
That's pretty cool. I was working on a little project that I've given up on because I don't have the attention span to work on bigger projects... But I'm wondering how you pull information on a user's games. I had a hard time figuring that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls